The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

57 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Is that you CosmoCrash? I love your videos!

I don't know, testflight is sort of annoying, ill think about it.

Testflight is SOOOOO annoying. I am all in the favor of getting rid of it. Let me tell you a fable.

I had a rocket with five Lr-105s, four in the side boosters, one in the middle. About 25 seconds after booster

sep, the engine kept cutting off, still with almost 1000 meters per second of delta V to give. I scoured the rocket

and my KOS script a million times, yet there was nothing there that was wrong. Turns out, the problem was TestFlight

Apparently, the lr-105s only burn for so many seconds, so my entire rocket design was ruined. :/

9 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Testflight is SOOOOO annoying. I am all in the favor of getting rid of it. Let me tell you a fable.

I had a rocket with five Lr-105s, four in the side boosters, one in the middle. About 25 seconds after booster

sep, the engine kept cutting off, still with almost 1000 meters per second of delta V to give. I scoured the rocket

and my KOS script a million times, yet there was nothing there that was wrong. Turns out, the problem was TestFlight

Apparently, the lr-105s only burn for so many seconds, so my entire rocket design was ruined. :/

I have max Data Units on an A-4 and it still fails all the time. Also, i an orbital rocket wich was supercool and swag but the  second stage keeps failing, even after 4 launches and multiple simulations, it fails, the exact same problem. You just BARELY reach orbit.

11 hours ago, NSEP said:

Im really exited to run RO again today. I haven't played it in a week! Today i want to start a new RP0 campaign, this time without Testflight. TestFlight ruined my previous campaign. Im planning to build this in Sandbox though:

*imagesnip*

Same here! My first try at RO/RP-0 was in 0.90 and TestFlight meant I couldn't get anything to actually launch well. In my current 1.1.3 install, I don't have TestFlight and I have made huge stations, gone to the moon, and sent probes to the other planets. Also, glad to know I'm not the only one who designs KSP stuff outside of the game.

EDIT: accidentally posted, this was not going to be the complete post, writing more...

50 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

My first install, I had a dilemma: If I put enough fuel on my rockets to have a TWR of 1.5, the engine would burn out with half of the Delta-V still remaining. If I emptied enough of the fuel out to use all of the Delta-V, the unthrottleable engines would make rockets with TWR too high and it woul d burn up on ascent.

As far as replicas go (was going to quote but now I'm on the new page) I haven't an exact replica. I prefer my own designs, it would feel too much like I'm playing someone else's campaign.

Also, any gravity assist tips? I've never tried them on this scale before but when you need 20-30km/s for direct outer planet missions, gravity assists start becoming appealing.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Same here! My first try at RO/RP-0 was in 0.90 and TestFlight meant I couldn't get anything to actually launch well. In my current 1.1.3 install, I don't have TestFlight and I have made huge stations, gone to the moon, and sent probes to the other planets. Also, glad to know I'm not the only one who designs KSP stuff outside of the game.

Im glad im not the only one, cheers!

Edited by NSEP

Another thing, I've just realized I planned a new series of rockets based off of nothing other than an acronym.

It's called "Futuristic Advanced Large Landable Stage" or FALLS. It's basically a shuttle without wings, vertically mounted on a rocket. Imagine a mini ITS on a Delta IV heavy, if that helps. It will have a payload bay and will be mannable and will land vertically using parachute assisted propulsive landing. Basically, a slighty more practical version of the shuttle.

And here's why I designed it: It's called FALLS, and will be launching on a Gravity IC booster... Giving the program title Gravity-F.A.L.L.S...

The first test article will be named "Cipher."

More Goodies from NSEP's kitchen?

WUtTMGZ.png

^^ This is my new launch Vehicle called ''Klaas'' it can send up to 15 tons to LEO.

5PpRFJv.png

^^My Tin Can Device Moon Orbiter. Although my attempt at going to the Moon was (and always is) messy and cheaty, it has great gizmo's and science for me to offer.

kbu2foX.png

^^ Remember that drawing i made of a lander? Yup, thats him!

GX636yi.png

jPyYUPL.png

^^ I fiddled around with the payload capacity of Klaas and designed these payloads for future missions.

N0vGjsk.png

^^ I also sent a man into space today!

Not much has gotten done in RO for me recently, but I would like to ask you all, what is your favorite RO engine?

Mine's the Astris. It doesn't have high thrust or particularly good efficiency, but without it my campaign would have gone way differently. Its propellants are storable and it is restartable pretty much infinitely, and it has found use in probably >50% of my missions.

Mobile Lunar Laboratory - RP-0

https://imgur.com/a/sSMZA

MOLAB is a project aimed at establishing a mobile base on the Moon. The base will have a laboratory that will enable kerbonauts to collect more science points and its mobility will allow them to collect points from different biomes. The base and crew will be transported to the surface of the Moon by reusable nuclear tug. Each time NTR will be refueled before the flight. The tanker will fly with the crew and will be reusable as well. Each manned flight will deliver 5 crew members and 190 days of supplies to the Moon's surface.

jva7qJh.png

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Not much has gotten done in RO for me recently, but I would like to ask you all, what is your favorite RO engine?

Mine's the Astris. It doesn't have high thrust or particularly good efficiency, but without it my campaign would have gone way differently. Its propellants are storable and it is restartable pretty much infinitely, and it has found use in probably >50% of my missions.

I also enjoy the Astris alot, i use it in my transfer and lander engines. My favourite has to be the Raptor, amazing ISP, for something that is not Hydrolox.

Just now, NSEP said:

I also enjoy the Astris alot, i use it in my transfer and lander engines. My favourite has to be the Raptor, amazing ISP, for something that is not Hydrolox.

Is there a raptor available for 1.1.3? I don't have it (not that I'd have unlocked it yet, anyway - currently still researching Merlins).

38 minutes ago, winged said:

Mobile Lunar Laboratory - RP-0

https://imgur.com/a/sSMZA

MOLAB is a project aimed at establishing a mobile base on the Moon. The base will have a laboratory that will enable kerbonauts to collect more science points and its mobility will allow them to collect points from different biomes. The base and crew will be transported to the surface of the Moon by reusable nuclear tug. Each time NTR will be refueled before the flight. The tanker will fly with the crew and will be reusable as well. Each manned flight will deliver 5 crew members and 190 days of supplies to the Moon's surface.

jva7qJh.png

That must be the Apoll... oh hey! Thats the Orion capsule!

Nice work!

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Is there a raptor available for 1.1.3? I don't have it (not that I'd have unlocked it yet, anyway - currently still researching Merlins).

Don't know, i think so. I got mine from KK launchers pack, and an RO config from Tyler Riaz. 

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Switch to Bell 8096L. It's has higher isp and you can use lighter tanks.

I just unlocked Hydrolox engines, they are great. I created a new launch vehicle, that can carry 16 tons to LEO and 4 tons to TLI, but its almost like i can keep on adding boosters and cryogenic upper stages untill it exceeds my budget.

Last night i made some big progress in my RP-0 campaign, heck! Its just 2 days old! And im THIS far already?

D3Yl5RJ.png

^^ I tested my crewed orbital vehicle Samson III, no crew has flown in it yet, but its the first thing im going to do when RO is fully loaded. I did however cheat a bit, since the parachutes opened to early and got destroyed, so i HyperEdit landed it, but id say its fair.PqSY39Y.png

^^ Booster Seperation of Klaas IIC, the cryogenic upper stages are awesome! This can send 16 tons to LEO and just over 4 tons to TLI.

c1qzbGb.png

Qvo67aK.png

^^ Cryo Stages in action, although it needs to stage 1/3rd of its way into the TLI, it still works amazing and well.

hQhJPxG.png

fIAUk7I.png

^^ Yup! That thing on top was indeed the lander! This is the first time i landed om the Moon in legit RP0 (with KCT and and other gizmos). It gained me alot of knowledge about landing on the Moon. Our next stop is Mars, and then Venus, although the Venus contract's deadline is scary close to the time of arrival. I have 570 days for my venus window and ~100 days to get there, so thats about 670 days, and my contract ends in 682 days, do you think i will make it?

On 28/10/2017 at 6:15 PM, winged said:

Switch to Bell 8096L. It's has higher isp and you can use lighter tanks.

hey @winged quick one for you as I am also a big fan of the Astris engine and was interested by your comment: what mod introduces the Bell 8096L (XLR81)?

also - does anyone know what happened to the Aestus engine? that was also a great engine for deep space missions, good ISP (above 350 if I recall correctly), restartable & storable propellants.

Edited by hypervelocity

16 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

hey @winged quick one for you as I am also a big fan of the Astris engine and was interested by your comment: what mod introduces the Bell 8096L (XLR81)?

also - does anyone know what happened to the Aestus engine? that was also a great engine for deep space missions, good ISP (above 350 if I recall correctly), restartable & storable propellants.

Yes, I would like to know which mods include both of these. Also, yay! Astris!

On 29-10-2017 at 11:14 AM, NSEP said:

Our next stop is Mars, and then Venus, although the Venus contract's deadline is scary close to the time of arrival. I have 570 days for my venus window and ~100 days to get there, so thats about 670 days, and my contract ends in 682 days, do you think i will make it?

Is it a fly-by mission or orbit? In case of a flyby, you can gain some days by changing the orbit (because Venus is closer to the sun compared to earth). Where you just will fly right through it's SOI instead of almost capturing. 

10 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

Is it a fly-by mission or orbit? In case of a flyby, you can gain some days by changing the orbit (because Venus is closer to the sun compared to earth). Where you just will fly right through it's SOI instead of almost capturing. 

Just a Fly-By. Thanks for the tip, i have to fly within a certain range however, still gotta check.

@NSEP, when I have to change the Pe of the flyby, most of the time I try to do it halfway it's travel, to get more precise. But often the time-warp messes with the trajectory, so I end up doing the change when I enter the SOI of the planet. Because that's the place where you travel the slowest in the SOI so burns a more efficient.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Yes, I would like to know which mods include both of these. Also, yay! Astris!

Aestus engine is added by both AIES and Ven Stock Revamp mods. XLR81 is from FASA and SXT mods.

And also, AJ10-190 all the way :D.

4 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

Bell 8096L - FASA, stock.

Aestus II - it seems like it was accidentally removed, you have to ask here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues

1 hour ago, Scorpu said:

Aestus engine is added by both AIES and Ven Stock Revamp mods. XLR81 is from FASA and SXT mods.

And also, AJ10-190 all the way :D.

I recall having tried with the AJ10 variants and not being entirely convinced - how many relights in the 190? gimballing? I believe one of these was the issue.

Also, that's weird - I have both AIES & Ven Stock Revamp and I still can't see the Aestus - @winged just replied it could have been accidentally removed, I am suspicious of RP-0...

Edited by hypervelocity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.