The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

OK, so this is a big post, as I am sharing my space shuttle and 100 ton lifter.

Let's start with the shuttle:

77OTtDL.png

In the VAB

S64BiyC.png

In the VAB, cont.

xe9sPiM.png

On the pad

fpLfLpU.png

The dual rd-180s of the first stage ignite.

hX6U9j7.png

liftoff

VXX78nY.png

Gravity turn

Mcbj20C.png

Rd-180 sep and vaccum engine ignition

WQXptMC.png

Engine burning

1rTby6o.png

Burning...

4RNGj9F.png

Dedford and Jeb are happy

wwMKguU.png

Vaccum stage Sep

IqqCYn9.png

Shuttle in orbit. The rear section containing the Docking Port and deorbit engines is thrown away later.

WiQsKPr.png

OMS detail

cezwmFn.png

Retro burn

IYNgDqk.png

Bye OMS, enjoy burning up

4O2ekuV.png

Good landing.

The shuttle cannot carry cargo but is an effective and reusable crew transport.

The RD-180's have parachutes on them and are recovered. Floats prevent the water from reaching the engines.

Now to the heavy lifter, the Dremios 5-

vzPUdye.png

Dremios 5 with a dummy payload i used for testing, hence the "Demonstration 100 [tons]"

zB9eiNP.png

The buisness end. Due to my TERRIBLE flying, I make sure to always have a margin of 1km/s of delta v extra, hence the SRBs.

sRdWnmf.png

On the pad.

ZHCVpJC.png

Engine- start!

Q9XMljZ.png

LIFTOFF!

pZtBamt.png

Booster sep.

KPe1mT3.png

Fairing sep

sqYVfmM.png

Adios first stage. The second stage of russian engines ignites.

TRcAy1K.png

Final UDMH-NTO powered stage.

5LN6Cav.png

here goes the Dummy Payload. You can see the mass of just shy of 100, but it works with a FULL 100 due to my generous margin.

Bye!

Hi all RO fans,

I think you might like this video I just recorded. (KSP 1.3 + RO + (100 mods)) . This is a "Work in Progress" BFR(ish*). On this video I'm doing a landing attempt of the BFR Booster.

* It matches  the size . But a bit heavier at launch (4500 tons) and also a bit more powerful that the current specifications of the BFR.

9 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Hi all RO fans,

I think you might like this video I just recorded. (KSP 1.3 + RO + (100 mods)) . This is a "Work in Progress" BFR(ish*). On this video I'm doing a landing attempt of the BFR Booster.

* It matches  the size . But a bit heavier at launch (4500 tons) and also a bit more powerful that the current specifications of the BFR.

Damnn, awesome video man.

1 hour ago, hypervelocity said:

great video @jrodriguez - may I ask what part pack are you using for the Raptor engines?

Thanks ! I will post the Day 2 soon (Lets hope I manage to do a more accurate landing)

I'm using Launchers Pack mod . I've also modified a MM patch to match the new Raptor specs as 2017 Elon's video announcement for BFR. 

Edited by jrodriguez

This is one of my lunar missions from my RSS/RP0 career. Mission architecture is a combination of the cancelled Constellation program (Ares V, lander ascent stage) and Artemis program from "Eyes Turned Skyward" alternate history (Ares I, Apollo, HAB lander, lander descent stage). This particular mission targeted the Compton-Belkovich Thorium Anomaly, also called Compton-Belkovich volcanic complex.

After a quick 20 minute session, i built my first sounding rocket, the Neutron.

AJKlP9k.png

It did not reach its target altitude of 50km because it slowly tipped over and crashed over mainland Florida (ouch!)

f1iTq04.png

I tried fixing it by using spin stabilization. This only brought me up to 35km.

qIUdB2T.png

So i decided to go the 'screw sounding rockets' route by just building an A-4. Haven't launched this one yet.

Edited by NSEP

3 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

That moment when you post craft and you don't get recognition :( 

Wait what? I just realised there was a behemoth of a post smack dab in the middle of this thread. This is awesome, you literally made a mk1 jet cockpit look like a small and cute cupola, and actually made the shuttle look cooler with that. As for your heavy lifter: sleek, lot's of power, beautiful shots. Sorry I didn't notice you, your post was a bit buried by the time I got here.

P.S: horrible flight skills? Fly with mechjeb, this is a realistic mod and you're supposed to have an avionics computer. Plus, it will make your flights more real/"professional".

Edited by Matuchkin

11 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Wait what? I just realised there was a behemoth of a post smack dab in the middle of this thread. This is awesome, you literally made a mk1 jet cockpit look like a small and cute cupola, and actually made the shuttle look cooler with that. As for your heavy lifter: sleek, lot's of power, beautiful shots. Sorry I didn't notice you, your post was a bit buried by the time I got here.

P.S: horrible flight skills? Fly with mechjeb, this is a realistic mod and you're supposed to have an avionics computer. Plus, it will make your flights more real/"professional".

Thanks! I have never been able to get mechjeb to work :( It always makes the gravity turns too long or too short or flips the rocket.

EDIT: Also sorry for complaining that i dont get any praise . Who does that!?

Edited by LordOfMinecraft99
What I said was narristic

10 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Thanks! I have never been able to get mechjeb to work :( It always makes the gravity turns too long or too short or flips the rocket.

EDIT: Also sorry for complaining that i dont get any praise . Who does that!?

Haha never mind. :) This should  help you :) 

Also, for spaceplanes, I use Atmosmpheric Autopilot, it's much more stable than mechjeb, at leat the descent, the ascent is done by mechjebs smart-a.s.s. on SURF-mode. A-symmetrical thrust is bottlenecking mechjeb...

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/MechJeb-Ascents

Although I cancelled a crewed Constellation Mars Mission during the 90's in my career,   I am still working on the Ares V in a different save. 

XqvplGx.jpg

The boosters and first stage work just fine, but I have massive problems with the upper stage :( 

mvI8GL8.jpg

Various sources show a payload capacity of  186 - 188 tons to LEO, but I cant even deliver a 160 ton payload into orbit.

The J-2X is just way to weak and due to the 0.23 TWR,  the upper stage always falls back into the atmosphere :( 

I know that @winged used a 149 ton version for his video, but such a capacity would be disappointing for me.

Not quite sure what I will do now, I am thinking of building a dual HG-3 vac version.......... 

@Julien Kerman  That is a very good looking Ares V. I also tested this rocket couple days ago in my own save. And I had the same problem with the upper stage. I only managed to put 150 tons into LEO after I added a second J-2X engine. I don't know how they wanted to launch with only 1 J-2X. They would have to aim for a very high apoapsis or launch the upper stage short-fueled (like ULA sometimes does this with Centaur). But then they wouldn't reach those 180 tons.

Maybe you could use more powerful boosters? The real Ares V was supposed to use 5,5 segment SRMs and those in KSP are 5 segment SRMs. 

16 minutes ago, Scorpu said:

Maybe you could use more powerful boosters? The real Ares V was supposed to use 5,5 segment SRMs and those in KSP are 5 segment SRMs. 

Huh really? I used the RSRMV boosters which come with SXT (I believe). They also have realistic mass and thrust., and their description says they are the ones from the Ares V ?

Edited by Julien Kerman

@Julien Kerman  I was talking about the final version of Ares V. Earlier versions would use RSRMV, so the description is correct. 

I tested my Ares V with 3 different sets of boosters: 2x Dark Knight SRB (from Sobol's SLS pack), 2x Pyrios F-1B boosters (the ones from my lunar mission video) and 4x RSRMV. The core stage had 5 RS-68B engines (414 isp vac) and upper stage had 2 J-2X engines. With 2 RSRMV boosters the payload to LEO was 150 tons.

cVRLdnU.png

With Dark Knight SRBs the payload to LEO was 165 tons, with 200 m/s left in EDS. These boosters have a dry mass of 75 tons (RSRMV have 85 tons) and they have more solid fuel while being the same size as RSRMVs.

nuZVKrF.png

With Pyrios boosters payload increased to 175 tons. If liftoff TWR was higher, it would reach the magical 180 tons. :D

iQk7kCs.png

The weight at liftoff was 5100 tons here. This variant delivered 200 tons to LEO and had 250m/s left. 

5 hours ago, Krases said:

Alright, time for a batch of pics. I worked hard on this guy. Its not the best, but it was fun to work with. Based off a Jupiter DIRECT concept I saw once. 

Reveal hidden contents

IoldjR2.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

56B4gla.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

0jE0SqF.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

oAG1xM2.jpg

Hey Krases, some data to your rocket would be nice. How much does it lift to LEO?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.