The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Im currently working on RO configs for the Kerbalized SpaceX mod. So prepare to see the BFR fly in RO soon!

I already did a BFR (1st stage) flying in RO. (using custom configs for the SpaceX mod) 

Edited by jrodriguez

47 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I already did a BFR (1st stage) flying in RO. (using custom configs for the SpaceX mod) 

Im currently working on the second stage/spaceship.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Im working on it! Im having some slight problems however.

@DrLicor how is your new rocket family going?

Great actually. I was experimenting with Kronal vessel viewer to get some nice bleuprint style things rolling out, but I haven't paid much attention to KSP this year to be honest. :( 

Edited by DrLicor

1 minute ago, jrodriguez said:

Do you plan to do one part with all the engines? Or just single Raptor Vacuum / SL as 2017 specs? 

Both Raptor Clusters and the BFR in three seperate parts.

You know that video in which the Falcon 9 stage lands on a barge, slowly topples over, and explodes? Imagine that, but instead the rocket bounces off the barge and off screen, then blows up. That's what I think of every time I watch that BFR video.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, stepped back to KSP after kicking off cold turkey from KSP :) 
Realized a few minutes ago that KS3P is compatible with KSP 1.2.2., so directly tested it with some a heavy lifter. :) 
Also, can't wait to put my shuttle back in the air and shoot some nice reentry pictures. 
All the screens are ingame footage, KS3P is awesome. At the beginning the Bloom is a bit to much, I forget to turn down the vacuum ambient light from another mod. 

The payload is a 22tons station core for a new lunar station. 

JujvZ2Z.png

FQiMmQf.png

tbS9dFw.png

QvdQbuF.png

6Q5bG9R.png

5AFOhti.png

XMrng1l.png

17 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Quick update, stepped back to KSP after kicking off cold turkey from KSP :) 
Realized a few minutes ago that KS3P is compatible with KSP 1.2.2., so directly tested it with some a heavy lifter. :) 
Also, can't wait to put my shuttle back in the air and shoot some nice reentry pictures. 
All the screens are ingame footage, KS3P is awesome. At the beginning the Bloom is a bit to much, I forget to turn down the vacuum ambient light from another mod. 

The payload is a 22tons station core for a new lunar station. 

JujvZ2Z.png

FQiMmQf.png

tbS9dFw.png

QvdQbuF.png

6Q5bG9R.png

5AFOhti.png

XMrng1l.png

Reminds me alot of the Ares rocket or the Delta. Awesome!

28 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Reminds me alot of the Ares rocket or the Delta. Awesome!

The concept is quite the same, the six SSME's are too 'weak' to lift the rocket with a decent TWR, so adding a few boosters will get the job done. 
This version can lift 111 tons to LEO if I'm right, his little brother has 4 SSME's and some smaller stages and is the 88tons to LEO version.

Edited by DrLicor

4 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

The concept is quitte the same, the six SSME's are too 'weak' to lift the rocket with a decent TWR, so adding a few boosters will get the job done. 
This version can lift 111 tons to LEO if I'm right, his little brother has 4 SSME's and some smaller stages and is the 88tons to LEO version.

Cool! The Delta uses the RS68, wich has lower ISP, and is also the reason why the Delta looks less like an SSTO (with boosters) than the SLS.

I have yet to try the RS68 on my rockets.

14 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Cool! The Delta uses the RS68, wich has lower ISP, and is also the reason why the Delta looks less like an SSTO (with boosters) than the SLS.

I have yet to try the RS68 on my rockets.

Yep, the reason why they choose those engines is because they are way cheaper to build, less complicated. Maybe I'll build some heavy lifters with those soon, just a cluster with more than 6 engines.

Im currently developing a new series of rockets. All of them are Hydrolox propelled and are made out of Carbon-Composite (BalloonCryo) materials. Some of them may be partially reusable.

• The Dart, proof of concept and suborbital/orbital series of rockets that are light.
  • The Arrow, light rockets capable of sending to 5 tons LEO.
  • The Spear, medium rockets capable of sending 10 to LEO.
  • The Javelin, heavy(er) rockets capable of sending 20 or more tons to LEO
  • The Cannonball, a super heavy lifter capable of sending between 50-150 tons to LEO (im going to compete @DrLicor here)
  • The Bullet, a lifter specifically designed for beyond LEO travel, capable of sending 40 tons to TLI or more.

13 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Im currently developing a new series of rockets. All of them are Hydrolox propelled and are made out of Carbon-Composite (BalloonCryo) materials. Some of them may be partially reusable.

• The Dart, proof of concept and suborbital/orbital series of rockets that are light.
  • The Arrow, light rockets capable of sending to 5 tons LEO.
  • The Spear, medium rockets capable of sending 10 to LEO.
  • The Javelin, heavy(er) rockets capable of sending 20 or more tons to LEO
  • The Cannonball, a super heavy lifter capable of sending between 50-150 tons to LEO (im going to compete @DrLicor here)
  • The Bullet, a lifter specifically designed for beyond LEO travel, capable of sending 40 tons to TLI or more.

I always thought that BallonCryo tanks from PP @ Realism Overhaul simulated only the internal part of the tank, and that it was not realistic to expect them to support the structural integrity of the rocket - am I mistaken or are you taking a waiver on realism here?

Also I'm oficially entering the competition on the Super Heavy Lifter category alongside @DrLicor's rocket and your Cannonball lifter, and will present my Salvor Hardin Heavy Lifter, capable of hauling150 tons to LEO! :)

Edited by hypervelocity

21 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

I always thought that BallonCryo tanks from PP @ Realism Overhaul simulated only the internal part of the tank, and that it was not realistic to expect them to support the structural integrity of the rocket - am I mistaken or are you taking a waiver on realism here?

Balloon tanks can support their own structural integrity when pressurized. Hence the name Balloon tank, because you need to inflate them, like a balloon!

Here is the Dart I, it can't reach orbit, it was made to just show off my spaceflight capability.

Hoij6Rg.png

Using 5 Dart I rockets, i made the Dart II, a rocket capable of sending up to 500kg to LEO.

kzl6KEt.png

Dart II will be used to send my lightweight satellite, PortaSat to LEO to further test the orbital capability.

Gf3eFcI.png

@NSEP, @hypervelocity, Well, if we're going to play that way, I give myself a headstart. :) 
Splitted up into for 4 rockets.,  decided to call the new serie the 'Heracles' family, named to the mortal greek God that was mostly famous for it's combination of brute power with a nice dosis of smartness.

Spoiler

Nice sidefact, while Heracles was mortal son of Zeus, Zeus wanted him to be immortal. To become immortal, he had to drink milk of the godness Hera. Unfortunately discovered the plan, spilled the milk, which eventually formed our own milkyway.

Up to the first rocket:

Heracles I - Block 1

EEvaxGY.pngGeneral:
Height: 70.2 meters
Weight: 480.5 tons
Tons to LEO: 33 tons

First stage:
Tank length: 39.0 meters
Tank Width: 6.5 meters
Engine(s): 4x RD-25
Total thrust: 6,699.1 kN (ASL) - 8,200.0 kN (Vac.)
ISP: 363 (ASL) - 453 (Vac.)
Burn Time: 186.5 seconds

Second stage:
Tank length: 10.2 meters
Tank Width: 5.5 meters
Engine(s): 1x RD-0120
Total thrust: 1,961.0 kN (Vac.)
ISP: 455 (Vac.)
Burn Time: 166.3 seconds

You want your payload into LEO in no-time? In less than 6 minutes, this little monster will reach a stable orbit.

Heracles I - Block 2

iHtM3ZZ.pngGeneral:
Height: 76.7 meters
Weight: 593.7 tons
Tons to LEO: 48 tons

First stage:
Tank length: 39.0 meters
Tank Width: 6.5 meters
Engine(s): 4x RD-25D/E
Total thrust: 7.436,0 kN (ASL) - 9279.6 kN (Vac.)
Burn Time: 197.9 seconds

Second stage:
Tank length: 15.7 meters
Tank Width: 5.5 meters
Burn Time: 269.3 seconds

More in a few minutes

Edited by DrLicor

Heracles II - Block 3

aSURSMz.jpg

General:
Height: 77.8 meters
Weight: 1,215.6 tons
Tons to LEO: 81 tons

First stage:
Tank length: 35.5 meters
Tank Width: 7.5 meters
Engine(s): 4x RD-25
Total thrust: 6,699.1 kN (ASL) - 8,200.0 kN (Vac.)
Burn Time: 282.7 seconds

Boosters: 2x UA1205 SRM
Total thrust: 10,586.9 kN (ASL) - 11.699 kN (Vac.)
ISP: 238 (ASL) - 263 (Vac.)
Burn Time: 84.9 seconds

Second stage:
Tank length: 17.2 meters
Tank Width: 6.0 meters

Heracles III - Block 4

nRLQaWX.png

General:
Height: 103.4 meters
Weight: 1,798.4 tons
Tons to LEO: 111 tons

First stage:
Tank length: 56.0 meters
Tank Width: 8.0 meters
Engine(s): 6x RD-25D/E
Total thrust: 11,154.0 kN (ASL) - 13,919.4 kN (Vac.)
Burn Time: 249.3 seconds

Boosters: 2x UA-1207
Total thrust: 13,394.7 kN (ASL) - 15,390.0 kN (Vac.)
ISP: 240 (ASL) - 265 (Vac.)
Burn Time: 93.9 seconds

Second stage:
Tank length: 15.8 meters
Tank Width: 8.0 meters
Engine(s): 2x RD-0120
Total thrust: 3,922 kN (Vac.)

Edited by DrLicor

I think im going to have a hard time competing with you @DrLicor! I really want to create the Cannonball first so i am skipping development a bit. I have ideas for making the first stage or boosters reusable. But thats something for later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.