The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

In the last 24 hours this thread has taken an excellent turn. Looking forward to the impending design war.

Having just finished an ISS replica build i am now looking to develop a fleet, potentially assembling larger ships in orbit, to strike out into the solar system. Hoping to get some inspiration from you all on heavy lifters because it is an area i struggle.

Good Luck Gents!

Here we go! 

Cannonball IB

Spoiler

fNrNtCG.png

The Cannonball IB can send 145 tons to LEO (165 if you don't count the payload fairing) and 55 tons to TLI. The Cannonball IB first stage consists of 9x RS68 engines, with each producing 3MN of thrust, solid rocket boosters are not needed in order to get off the pad. The second stage is powered by 4x J2X engines, wich can be re-ignited when needed. The diameter of the Cannonball IB is 10 meters, with a payload fairing diameter of 12.5 meters.

V9dS9K3.png

Cannonball IB Heavy

Spoiler

wUkuhAq.png

Adding 2 extra cores on the side really turned this vehicle into an overpowered monstermachine. With this upgrade we can carry a staggering 430 TONS TO LEO, and a jaw dropping 165 TONS TO TLI. It makes use of fuel crossfeed, wich is a hard-to master technology, but considering it can triple the payload mass, it's definitely worth it.

Introducing the Ares rocket family from my KSP 1.2.2 RP-0 career. Link to imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/ORYHj .

Family portrait

8WdcJbq.png

The lift capacity to low Earth orbit ranges from 25 tons to 180 tons. On Ares I and II both stages are 5.5 meters wide. Ares III, IV and V use 8.4m wide common core stage, Ares V upper stage is also 8.4m wide. Ares VI uses 10m wide core stage and upper stage. Pyrios Boosters on Ares V and VI are 5.5m wide and they are basically a stretched Ares I first stage with 2 F-1B engines. Ares II first stage is Pyrios with single F-1B. Boosters on Ares III and IV are 3.6m wide.

Ares I

kd3ZZ7c.png

Ares I is the workhorse of my manned space program. It launches crewed Apollo and uncrewed resupply ships to the space station in LEO. Payload to LEO says 23 - 25 tons, because on crewed Apollo flights overall payload capacity is a bit lower due to the 4 tons added by the Launch Escape System tower. The rocket is very reliable, so thankfully I never had to use the LES.

Ares II

vIVBJSl.png

If you combine Ares I upper stage and Ares V strap-on booster, you get this thing. I had to optimize it though, because 2 F-1B engines were giving it to high thrust to weight ratio while single F-1B was not powerful enough. That's why it has 4 Merlins and 6 GEMs 60. So far I only tested it in simulations. I plan on using it when time comes for my manned missions to Mars. It will launch the crewed Orion spacecraft and the Mars Descent Vehicle hidden inside the petal adapter to the Mars Transfer Vehicle waiting in LEO.

Ares III

fdOZO7V.png

It's basically a simplified 8.4m Ares without any upper stage. I only used configuration like this once, when I launched the first and heaviest (70 t) module of my Unity Space Station. At that time Ares was a new rocket, it used 4 RS-25 A engines, and less powerful solid rocket boosters. This is the new version of that old design, with lighter core stage, more powerful RS-25 Ds and RSRMVs.

Ares IV

tLUrNhb.png

Take Ares I upper stage and put it on top of 8.4m Ares core. What you get is a space probes ride to the outer planets and astronauts ride to the lunar space station. This configuration also hasn't flown yet. Payload to Jupiter varies so much because delta v on each Jupiter transfer window is also different. It can be anywhere between 6200 m/s and 7000 m/s. Payload to LEO is only an estimate, because this rocket is not supposed to launch heavy payloads to LEO.

Ares V

YIipggw.png

This rocket is the workhorse of my 'Altair' manned lunar landing program. So far it launched 13 crewed missions to the Moon and by the time the program ends, it will increase to 15. I also plan to use this rocket to launch a lunar space station.

Ares VI

1HAaiOV.png

Last but not least is the biggest Ares rocket I designed. I will use it during my manned Mars landing program. It will launch segments of Mars Transfer Vehicle to low Earth orbit and cargo landers with supplies, habitats and Mars Ascent Vehicle to Mars.

My next addition to the Cannonball is an NTR upper stage or a Reusable first stage.

What do you think would make a suitable payload for the Cannonball Heavy? Something like a gaint Lunar Lander?

Edited by NSEP

4 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Design war you say?

9fr6Nvs.jpg

Count me in

Whats the payload to LEO of that monstermachine? Reminds of that Jupiter thing i cant remember the name of exactly.

On 1/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, Scorpu said:

Introducing the Ares rocket family from my KSP 1.2.2 RP-0 career. Link to imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/ORYHj .

Family portrait

8WdcJbq.png

The lift capacity to low Earth orbit ranges from 25 tons to 180 tons. On Ares I and II both stages are 5.5 meters wide. Ares III, IV and V use 8.4m wide common core stage, Ares V upper stage is also 8.4m wide. Ares VI uses 10m wide core stage and upper stage. Pyrios Boosters on Ares V and VI are 5.5m wide and they are basically a stretched Ares I first stage with 2 F-1B engines. Ares II first stage is Pyrios with single F-1B. Boosters on Ares III and IV are 3.6m wide.

Ares I

kd3ZZ7c.png

Ares I is the workhorse of my manned space program. It launches crewed Apollo and uncrewed resupply ships to the space station in LEO. Payload to LEO says 23 - 25 tons, because on crewed Apollo flights overall payload capacity is a bit lower due to the 4 tons added by the Launch Escape System tower. The rocket is very reliable, so thankfully I never had to use the LES.

Ares II

vIVBJSl.png

If you combine Ares I upper stage and Ares V strap-on booster, you get this thing. I had to optimize it though, because 2 F-1B engines were giving it to high thrust to weight ratio while single F-1B was not powerful enough. That's why it has 4 Merlins and 6 GEMs 60. So far I only tested it in simulations. I plan on using it when time comes for my manned missions to Mars. It will launch the crewed Orion spacecraft and the Mars Descent Vehicle hidden inside the petal adapter to the Mars Transfer Vehicle waiting in LEO.

Ares III

fdOZO7V.png

It's basically a simplified 8.4m Ares without any upper stage. I only used configuration like this once, when I launched the first and heaviest (70 t) module of my Unity Space Station. At that time Ares was a new rocket, it used 4 RS-25 A engines, and less powerful solid rocket boosters. This is the new version of that old design, with lighter core stage, more powerful RS-25 Ds and RSRMVs.

Ares IV

tLUrNhb.png

Take Ares I upper stage and put it on top of 8.4m Ares core. What you get is a space probes ride to the outer planets and astronauts ride to the lunar space station. This configuration also hasn't flown yet. Payload to Jupiter varies so much because delta v on each Jupiter transfer window is also different. It can be anywhere between 6200 m/s and 7000 m/s. Payload to LEO is only an estimate, because this rocket is not supposed to launch heavy payloads to LEO.

Ares V

YIipggw.png

This rocket is the workhorse of my 'Altair' manned lunar landing program. So far it launched 13 crewed missions to the Moon and by the time the program ends, it will increase to 15. I also plan to use this rocket to launch a lunar space station.

Ares VI

1HAaiOV.png

Last but not least is the biggest Ares rocket I designed. I will use it during my manned Mars landing program. It will launch segments of Mars Transfer Vehicle to low Earth orbit and cargo landers with supplies, habitats and Mars Ascent Vehicle to Mars.

I love the capacity of these vehicles

So - I have been away from KSP and the Heavy Launchers design marathon, but I have enjoyed all of your designs.

However, I opened KSP again and this *just* happened (you might want to check the orbital speed):

XIfCwpZ.png

Album: https://imgur.com/a/OXWRG

What is this you ask? this, my dear Sirs, is a Realism Overhaul, Real Solar System, Principia and FAR single stage to orbit (almost) spaceplane !!!

I have just achieved orbital velocity of 7775 m/s, Pe is obviously inside Earth's atmosphere and the craft was disintegrated (except for the guidance unit which survived & transmitted until impact in the Atlantic). This is a major milestone for my space program! With just minor tweaks I will have it working!

Engines are 2 x SABRE M from the B9 mod with a custom config (per https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/88409-realism-overhaul-discussion-thread/&page=62&tab=comments#comment-3140087 & https://web.archive.org/web/20140127114808/http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/tech_docs/JBIS_v57_22-32.pdf)

@winged - just regarding an old conversation we had, I never managed to get your Skylon to orbit but this is as close as I have managed!

(yes - I do know I am missing the tail's right all moving control surface, it was ripped apart due to aerodynamic stress)

Edited by hypervelocity

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to think of payloads for the Falcon Heavy, that fits inside the fairing. Im also thinking of enlarging the upper stage, increasing its diameter, for wider payloads.

Oh and i also want to colonize the Moon soon! Are there mods for RO that allow for ISRU?

Edited by NSEP

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Oh and i also want to colonize the Moon soon! Are there mods for RO that allow for ISRU?

That is my current endeavour on my carreer game !! I am using RealISRU for ice extraction, to finally convert it to hydrolox for fuel. The mod provides drills, water splitters and licquefaction arrays. It also provides machinery for ISRU at Mars (CO2 extraction, SABATIER and more).

I will post pics of my current settlement when I have some time!

Edited by hypervelocity

33 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

That is my current endeavour on my carreer game !! I am using RealISRU for ice extraction, to finally convert it to hydrolox for fuel. The mod provides drills, water splitters and licquefaction arrays. It also provides machinery for ISRU at Mars (CO2 extraction, SABATIER and more).

I will post pics of my current settlement when I have some time!

Does it work for 1.2.2?

• 3 weeks later...

What mods are everyone using? Do you guys have any suggestions that WON'T crash my game while it loads?

I put the Ares Upper Stage together with a Delta IV with 4 strap-on boosters. Probably needed only two, but it worked out. :wink: (Also used Falcon Heavy decouplers which put a spin on the core stage when separating which wasn't that good but I made it to orbit)

Spoiler

3AV2yAd.png

FHPxJ7K.png

CMRxdyS.png

(This rocket wasn't a good idea overall though. Lack of TWR in many places)

Fire

@Firemetal, my current game is a bit broken at the moment haha, but that's because it has survived me quitte a while. I'm thinking of re-installing the complete package; filter some mods out of it. I have to find the courage to begin with it, since it's asking a bit of time and patience. And I'm enjoying Assassins Creed Origins and Total War a lot lately. 
But if you want, I can upload the current modlist for you at the end of the day. (around 45k mm-patches) :) 

And nice looking rocket you got there, in a later phase of my save, I discovered that SSTU was stable for RO, never knew that haha, but that mod also has a very nice decoupler for the boosters. Length and width are variable and it decouples the booster nice and clean without the help of extra parts.

6 hours ago, DrLicor said:

@Firemetal, my current game is a bit broken at the moment haha, but that's because it has survived me quitte a while. I'm thinking of re-installing the complete package; filter some mods out of it. I have to find the courage to begin with it, since it's asking a bit of time and patience. And I'm enjoying Assassins Creed Origins and Total War a lot lately. 
But if you want, I can upload the current modlist for you at the end of the day. (around 45k mm-patches) :) 

And nice looking rocket you got there, in a later phase of my save, I discovered that SSTU was stable for RO, never knew that haha, but that mod also has a very nice decoupler for the boosters. Length and width are variable and it decouples the booster nice and clean without the help of extra parts.

A modlist would be great, thanks! And I'll try SSTU.

Again, thanks a lot.

Fire

@Firemetal and the rest, here's my current modlist, (playing with KSP 1.2.2): 

Spoiler
[x] Science!
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions Configs
000_Toolbar
AJE
AnimatedDecouplers
ASET
AtmosphereAutopilot
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
B9PartSwitch
blackheart
CameraFocusChanger
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
Cormorant Aeronology (custom RO configs)
CrewManifest
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
CustomBarnKit
DeadlyReentry
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
EasyBoard
EngineGroupController
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FASA
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
FMRS
FreedomTex
FShangarExtender
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JSI
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFoundries
KerbalInventorySystemNoFun
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalRenamer
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KIS
Kopernicus
KronalUtils
KS3P (custom configs)
KSCSwitcher
KSPWheel
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries (custom configs)
MainSailor
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.2.7.6.dll
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureSolar
NEBULA
NodeSplitter
PersistentRotation
PlanetShine
PreciseManeuver
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealismOverhaul
RealPlume
RealScaleBoosters
RealSolarSystem
RecoveryController
ReentryParticleEffect
RemoteTech
RetractableLiftingSurface
RN_Solar_Panels
RoutineMissionManager
RP-0
RSSDateTime
RSS-Textures
RSSVE
RW Saturatable
SCANsat
scatterer
ShipManifest
SmartParts
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
SovietEngines
Squad
SSTU
SXT
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage
VenStockRevamp
WaypointManager

12 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

@Firemetal and the rest, here's my current modlist, (playing with KSP 1.2.2): 

Hide contents
[x] Science!
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions Configs
000_Toolbar
AJE
AnimatedDecouplers
ASET
AtmosphereAutopilot
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
B9PartSwitch
blackheart
CameraFocusChanger
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
Cormorant Aeronology (custom RO configs)
CrewManifest
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
CustomBarnKit
DeadlyReentry
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
EasyBoard
EngineGroupController
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FASA
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
FMRS
FreedomTex
FShangarExtender
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JSI
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFoundries
KerbalInventorySystemNoFun
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalRenamer
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KIS
Kopernicus
KronalUtils
KS3P (custom configs)
KSCSwitcher
KSPWheel
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries (custom configs)
MainSailor
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.2.7.6.dll
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureSolar
NEBULA
NodeSplitter
PersistentRotation
PlanetShine
PreciseManeuver
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealismOverhaul
RealPlume
RealScaleBoosters
RealSolarSystem
RecoveryController
ReentryParticleEffect
RemoteTech
RetractableLiftingSurface
RN_Solar_Panels
RoutineMissionManager
RP-0
RSSDateTime
RSS-Textures
RSSVE
RW Saturatable
SCANsat
scatterer
ShipManifest
SmartParts
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
SovietEngines
Squad
SSTU
SXT
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage
VenStockRevamp
WaypointManager

Yeah, that's how a pumped RO install looks like!

49 minutes ago, Scorpu said:

I landed this 899 kg guy on Mars yesterday. I pushed KSP to its limit, but it worked. It wouldn't be possible without the Throttle Controlled Avionics mod. This one mod basically saved the whole recreation :D .

0XpNCKT.png

Here's a link to full album, I don't want to spam 15 images in one post: https://imgur.com/a/a0bwe .

:rep: Impressive work. :rep:
I tried to do the same a while ago with a rover I made. Launch, capture and deobit went grat. Untill My timing and planning ruined the deploying of the heatshield/fairing. Mainly because of RemoteTechs time delay. Switched the delay off right after the crash. 

My RO learning experience continues...

Current things I've done.

• Landed a probe on the Moon. (Lost a solar array because I didn't know how to get a signal to Earth and I couldn't extend landing gear.)
  • Brought a Kerbal into LEO and back to the surface. (This was harder than anticipated because some of the heat shields I used didn't protect the spacecraft enough.)
  • Got a Lunar Station Core into orbit around the Moon. (And finally found out how to target the Earth with an antenna.)

You can find some pictures here.

So I decided to try docking two spacecraft in LEO. This will allow me to continue building my Lunar Station so I can bring Kerbals over there for Lunar Operations. So I've built a Rocket Family for launching medium to large payloads into LEO. I call it "Dume".

plgXpav.jpg

I launched a nearly 10 ton payload to LEO but unfortunately, the J2 engine just shut off for no reason and I couldn't restart it even with the two extra ignitions it had. The fairing also glitched a little, and I might want to add some smaller SRBs to the 6MUSO configuration. Here are some screenshots from the first flight.

https://imgur.com/a/ZqrTu

I'll try to perfect the Dume Family and give you an update on it next time I post.

Fire

12 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

After perusing these 20 pages, has anyone created a (relatively) unique crew vessel? There should be a worthy payload to fit atop these excellent rockets.

Challenge accepted.

Fire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.