The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, but I spent a day trying to build the smallest orbit capable rocket I possibly could. The IRL record is 2.2 tons. However, I found out that a fully upgraded procedural SRB will have about 5.7km/s of delta-v even if you resize it. Until you edit it afterwards, so this is technically a slightly cheaty exploit... But that meant I could make the upper stage extremely tiny and I just had to get it out of the atmosphere with a slight sideways component and it would reach orbit. The lowest mass I got was 471kg.

But, since the first stage and half of the second stage lost a lot of their Oomph due to drag, I tried an air launch design from 20km and was able to make a 100kg launch vehicle.

Unrelated to crafts:

Okay, so I've been thinking about trying to update my 1.1.3 install to 1.2.2 and finally continue with my career. However, this save is extremely laggy by itself so I would need to prune a bunch of debris and unneeded satellites (and I regret saying this, but with the amount of stuff up there the visual mods might have to go as well).

Anything I should be aware of when trying to upgrade?

22 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay, so I've been thinking about trying to update my 1.1.3 install to 1.2.2 and finally continue with my career. However, this save is extremely laggy by itself so I would need to prune a bunch of debris and unneeded satellites (and I regret saying this, but with the amount of stuff up there the visual mods might have to go as well).

Anything I should be aware of when trying to upgrade?

I usually start all over again when i switch to the new update. But make sure you have all the mods you had previously installed in the upgraded one, make sure those mods are updated for the right version, and create a backup. (This might be a late answer)

Anyways, i was playing around with Long Range Missle's for a while, but then i created this terrifying weapon:

WxOlwtL.png

Yes, thats right, i attached wings to my rocket to allow it to take off horizontaly, and the scariest part is, it works. It has a range of ~4000km, (although the trajectory was steep, so the range might be alot longer) The first stage is powered by 2 'Viking' rocket engines, it weighs 74t, and has an SRB upper stage, wich is spin-stablized. It can carry 3 500kg warheads (1.5t payload) to its target.

Spoiler

mC9xmZK.png

XEdN84v.png

On 07.11.2017 at 12:10 AM, panzerwaffe044 said:

Your reviews inspired me to continue working on the rocket and I've tweaked it (rotated, changed the kick pitch force and added some science). So now it is capable of going into POLAR orbit from Plesetsk with basic science. I've restarted the career and checked how fast would it be possible to complete a Polar Orbit contract using this rocket, in theory this could be the first rocket launched in career and if the Test Flight God shows some mercy you could do it in several months. One of the problems that I've noticed is a roll caused by side booster separation. It didn't allow me to aim straight towards the North so the orbit is 86 but it's still completes the contract and allows science experiments over all the biomes. In the next version I will try to add one more (YAW) axis of control. This will allow to aim directly at the horizon above or below the prograde.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19X3yGWt0VRHMAK6pfymMf-9OOg0ezeoe

I've made an upgrade of my "Tier0-no-avionics-no_engine_upgrades_polar-orbit-from-Plesetsk" rocket.

Improvements:
-lower mass (34.782t)
-lower price
-increased stability (better aerodynamics, reworked fairing and fins)
-increased reliability (lowered the number of WAC-Corporal engines on the upper stages from 8 to 6)
-increased operational time (added a battery)

What can be achieved with this rocket:
-numerous records
-first satellite contract
-first polar orbit satellite contract
-Pressure data (flying low, high and in space), telemetry, temperature data from all "space near" biomes (although takes some luck to get mountains before the battery drains out)

P.S. this was made for 1.2.2 RP0, not sure if it will work in 1.3.1 RP1...

Edited by panzerwaffe044

• 2 weeks later...

I've built a couple of worthy launchers which are not direct copies of real LV, from early 10 tons to 200 tons - all in my RP-1 Career.

Rockets of the World-inspired schematics poster and specs:

Spoiler

gpeY7Ev.jpg

Cerberus Medium LV - 10+ tons to LEO, Proton-based (3.8% Payload Fraction)

Spoiler

PeMfxOZ.jpg

Cerberus Heavy LV - 20+tons to LEO, Proton-based (4% Payload Fraction)

Spoiler

D0chI1v.jpg

Lowfyr LV - 40+tons to LEO, NK engine-based (man-rated, 5.2% Payload Fraction)

Spoiler

F3DbiiQ.jpg

Deus LV - 200 tons to LEO, Energia-based (man-rated, 7.1% Payload Fraction)

Spoiler

MP4DPzw.png

Pretty happy with all of them, they all hit a sweet spot in career mode and have flown tons of times (except Deus which I am still waiting for the first production to finish). Not sure what the next step is - I know I will use Deus for many mission, first it will launch my 30 ton Lunar Station, then a manned Venus flyby and also for Mars, plus a sample-return mission to Saturn (12 ton to Saturn). I might need an even heavier one after that for my Mars station and base, but I like to keep cost, tooling and Launch Pad requirements sane - I just moved to 8m diameter with the Deus. It also  as "cheap" (168 + rollout vs 185 millions), lighter (2,600 tons vs 2,970 tons), smaller (86 vs 111 meters) and more powerful than Saturn V (200 vs 140 tons to LEO).

Reddit post and full imgur gallery:

Spoiler

Edited by MaxFenig

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, DrLicor said:

Quick update, stepped back to KSP after kicking off cold turkey from KSP :) 
Realized a few minutes ago that KS3P is compatible with KSP 1.2.2., so directly tested it with some a heavy lifter. :) 
Also, can't wait to put my shuttle back in the air and shoot some nice reentry pictures. 
All the screens are ingame footage, KS3P is awesome. At the beginning the Bloom is a bit to much, I forget to turn down the vacuum ambient light from another mod. 

The payload is a 22tons station core for a new lunar station. 

JujvZ2Z.png

FQiMmQf.png

tbS9dFw.png

QvdQbuF.png

6Q5bG9R.png

5AFOhti.png

XMrng1l.png

Yeah, I know, you posted this months ago, but what visual mods are you running? Me wants!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 3:56 AM, DrLicor said:

@Firemetal and the rest, here's my current modlist, (playing with KSP 1.2.2): 

Reveal hidden contents
[x] Science!
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions Configs
000_Toolbar
AJE
AnimatedDecouplers
ASET
AtmosphereAutopilot
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
B9PartSwitch
blackheart
CameraFocusChanger
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
Cormorant Aeronology (custom RO configs)
CrewManifest
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
CustomBarnKit
DeadlyReentry
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
EasyBoard
EngineGroupController
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FASA
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
FMRS
FreedomTex
FShangarExtender
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JSI
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFoundries
KerbalInventorySystemNoFun
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalRenamer
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KIS
Kopernicus
KronalUtils
KS3P (custom configs)
KSCSwitcher
KSPWheel
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries (custom configs)
MainSailor
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.2.7.6.dll
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureSolar
NEBULA
NodeSplitter
PersistentRotation
PlanetShine
PreciseManeuver
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealismOverhaul
RealPlume
RealScaleBoosters
RealSolarSystem
RecoveryController
ReentryParticleEffect
RemoteTech
RetractableLiftingSurface
RN_Solar_Panels
RoutineMissionManager
RP-0
RSSDateTime
RSS-Textures
RSSVE
RW Saturatable
SCANsat
scatterer
ShipManifest
SmartParts
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
SovietEngines
Squad
SSTU
SXT
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage
VenStockRevamp
WaypointManager

What kind of PC can RUN THAT MANY MODS!!!

:confused::o:0.0:

1 minute ago, winged said:

Very average one. You just won't get as good performance as on a stock install.

How do you get the PC to run and start up without crashing cuz i tried the basic install of RO/RSS and when loading in...DENIED my ksp crashes... -_-

22 hours ago, Abpilot said:

What kind of PC can RUN THAT MANY MODS!!!

:confused::o:0.0:

Haha, I was running that instal on a MSI laptop, long story short: i5 3,4Ghz, GTX860M, 16Gb RAM, KSP was installed on a SSD as well. Let's not talk about the performance, it did run. :P :P 
Today I assembled a new PC with a Intel Core i5-8600K, GTX 1080, 16Gb of RAM as well. The processor has a 'stock' turbospeed of 4.3Ghz, but I'm planning on overclocking it to at least 5.2Ghz tommorow. :) 

Spoiler

Full specs for the geeks ;) :
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5
Motherbord: Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k (2.8Ghz normal, 4.3Ghz Turbo)
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Aero 8G
RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (3000MHz)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250Gb
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD (secure), 2Tb
PSU: Cooler Master RS650-AMAAB1-EU G650M (Semi-modulair)
Network Card: Asus PCE-AC51
Front Fans: Cooler Master Master Fans Pro 120, 3 in 1

21 hours ago, Abpilot said:

How do you get the PC to run and start up without crashing cuz i tried the basic install of RO/RSS and when loading in...DENIED my ksp crashes... -_-

RSS/RO should run fine in 1.3.1. When installing, try to install it in as much as parts as possible with testing in between. When it crashes you know immediately where to look. :)  

Edited by DrLicor

I second the aforementioned. I am also running 120+ mods on a 7700k + GTX 780ti + 32 GB RAM without crashes (though reduced performance, mostly due to multiple vessels and their logging under Remote Tech and Principia).

In regards of crash-debugging, I would try manually installing RO recommended mods one by one or small batches (say 5 mods at a time - tedious at first, but once you get it going you will have the experience for future installs) and checking whether the game crashes or not!

22 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Haha, I was running that instal on a MSI laptop, long story short: i5 3,4Ghz, GTX860M, 16Gb RAM, KSP was installed on a SSD as well. Let's not talk about the performance, it did run. :P :P 
Today I assembled a new PC with a Intel Core i5-8600K, GTX 1080, 16Gb of RAM as well. The processor has a 'stock' turbospeed of 4.3Ghz, but I'm planning on overclocking it to at least 5.2Ghz tommorow. :) 

Hide contents

Full specs for the geeks ;) :
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5
Motherbord: Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k (2.8Ghz normal, 4.3Ghz Turbo)
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Aero 8G
RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (3000MHz)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250Gb
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD (secure), 2Tb
PSU: Cooler Master RS650-AMAAB1-EU G650M (Semi-modulair)
Network Card: Asus PCE-AC51
Front Fans: Cooler Master Master Fans Pro 120, 3 in 1

RSS/RO should run fine in 1.3.1. When installing, try to install it in as much as parts as possible with testing in between. When it crashes you know immediately where to look. :)  

Actually I have as little parts as possible I have installed via CKAN so I don’t think any thing should be wrong

• 3 weeks later...

Well, quite some time since I posted something 'craft'ish here, so here we go:

At the moment I'm developing a MK-1 space shuttle for crew missions only. I got space for 2 astronauts in the cockpit and for in the back, but most of the time only 3 people in total will be flown with this I think.
At the back it got 2 Astris engines that are running on NTO and Aerozine50 as usual. In the bay it got a structure with a docking port on it so it can dock with the station. There are also some solar panels and some fuel tanks for the RCS installed there, however, I didnt install any RCS-thrusters yet. 
The rudder is equipped with a split rudder for a smooth reentry and airbrake where needed.
I only did one test run and it went quite well. The vehicle is stable and able to land very nicely, here are some shots of it. More coming soonTM
And ofcourse, if you have any suggestions, let me know. :) 

s2p4VU5.png

fsFYws7.png

EkrLtQo.png

sLdDAue.png

IgOhluh.png

very nice @DrLicor, I have found a simple spaceplane for crew operations is a must-have piece of hardware in any space program! Can you tell us a bit more about its specs & capabilities for low orbit operations? Also would be nice to see the booster that takes it to orbit!

Edited by hypervelocity

@hypervelocity Thanks!.  The shuttle itself is around 15-16 tons. Without the RCS it has a delta-V around 800 m/s. So its more than enough for transporting to the space station, even from a bit relative inclined orbit. Mostly I calculate a 200m/s for finishing a parking orbit so all the rocket pieces fall back to earth, and 120 m/s for a reentry burn. The rest is for manoeuvres which will be plenty. 
I decided to strap the rocket on top of a rocket instead of on the side. I might a maiden flight with it and everything did go well, however, I did make some changes to the first stage of the rocket. I decided to get 9 Merlin-1 engines and 6 SRB's for liftoff. 2 will burn out in 60 seconds, the other 4 burn out 30 seconds later. I was ably to achieve a much more stable TWR this way. The second stage staayed the same and is powered by 4 RL-10's. 
Sadly I dont have pictures uploaded from that flight yet, but I'll do that later this day. Here are some pictures of the maiden flight:

wnqznb5.png

Pz7lfUE.png

un6FGiU.png

• 2 weeks later...

Funfact about my Saturn IB. It was built in December 2014 for KSP 0.90 and 3,5 years later it still works without any problem:

PrIsvK7.jpg

Few other vehicles were built in early 2015: Proton, entire Atlas family, Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy. All of them work fine in 1.2.2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 2:09 PM, DrLicor said:

Nice one, but for more beauty, you could hide those engines a bit more. Just with some interstage fairings or something like that :) 

Hi, great!  where did you get this beautiful launch tower?

1 minute ago, DrLicor said:

the launchtowers I use are from FASA. You can also download the FASA towers standalone if you dont feel the need for using any other FASA parts.

It is incompatible with fasa basic pack? well, I use it a lot, for engines and command pods

and thanks for lightspeed reply :)

17 minutes ago, kurgut said:

It is incompatible with fasa basic pack? well, I use it a lot, for engines and command pods

and thanks for lightspeed reply :)

You're welcome :), no the launchtowers are normally included in the FASA pack.

Just search for tower in the searchbar and you'll get it if I'm right :)

38 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

You're welcome :), no the launchtowers are normally included in the FASA pack.

Just search for tower in the searchbar and you'll get it if I'm right :)

Yes , I found those I wanted were actually from Real Scale booster, because I already have and used Fasa. Now I have rsB ones and I'm gloriously happy, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.