The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

WHJYDER.png

Here are crew vehicles from my RP-0 save. From left to right: Apollo Block IV, CST-100 Starliner, Orion MPCV and HL-20 spaceplane. Apollo spacecraft has been in service for almost 50 years now (there were upgrades along the way), it's been transporting astronauts to space station in LEO for the last 30 years and it took part in two manned Lunar landing programs (1968-1972 & 1998-2012). It will be retired soon and spacecraft shown above are its successors. Boeing's Starliner and Lockheed Martin's HL-20 will become new taxis for existing and future LEO space stations. Orion is the new deep space exloration vehicle, it will transport crew to Lunar space station and take part in testflights of various Mars mission hardware. After all the testing is done and the Lunar station is retired, Orion will go to Mars.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

I've just started RO,and I'm struggling to get a sounding rocket out of the atmosphere in career mode. Any help /advice? 

What exactly isn't working? If it's just not going high enough, you might want to try playing around with TWRs throughout the flight, since the gravity/drag loss balance is quite different for very small, pointy rockets.

18 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

I've just started RO,and I'm struggling to get a sounding rocket out of the atmosphere in career mode. Any help /advice? 

Are you using one of the upgrades for the aerobee engine? Because the first one you get is terrible both in terms of reliability and thrust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because of the better preformance in the 1.6 update i was able to do alot more things in one session, so i decided to mess around a little bit.

I made a missile, called the 'Dagger', has a range of around 4000km

screenshot52.png

screenshot59.png

Solid rocket boosters are alot of fun. I think that in update 1.3.1 and earlier the boosters were kind of buggy and only gimballed in one axis, but i haven't had any problems with it yet in 1.6.1

screenshot77.png

Super Heavy Missle?

screenshot112.png

screenshot115.png

I also made a mini-spaceplane to try and bounce across the atmosphere in order to get somewhere, but that didn't quite work. Spaceplanes are hard to make and to get stable.

• 1 month later...

The Javelin II launch vehicle. My first orbital launch vehicle in my RP-1 campaign that isn't a bunch of sounding rockets on top of eachother. It had its first flight in 1959. It can send 2 tons to LEO. Javelin I is a single core version that can send 600kg to LEO but i never really flew it. Javelin III is a four-core-booster configuration and can send 5 tons to LEO and will fly 1963 (im now in 1962), although it might be replaced by a different rocket in the next few years.

screenshot2355.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at a "what might have been" involving no Apollo cancellation and this using them to explore the Solar system.

Here is a two man crew lander and return for 50 days on Mars. Pretty happy with it, since the module will fit on top of an S-II.

LRFGKEw.png

Hello everyone ! 

After two or three hundred hours on Stock KSP, SSRSS et KSRSS I want try the RO adventure.

But after lot of researchs, some things stay unclear for me...

- What the difference between RO and RP0 parts ? All RP0 parts are RO no ? Just the in game price change ?

- I downloaded BDB and Tantares packs since I heard that some of their parts are RO (Like some engines for BDB). But when I create the ''NoNonRO'' folder in my game data. All Tantares parts disappears, and their is only 5 or 6 BDB parts (And no engines). So I don't understand...

-What's are the must have mod parts RO compatibles for a good game experience ? (In addition to FASA and RN parts packs)

- Can I just Pick up the RP0 tech tree for my RO game without the rest of RP0 features ?

If someone can answer to these few questions that'll be awesome :)

Thank you for your help !

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently installed RSS/RO/RP-1in 1.6.1, and flown a few missions.  First up was a basic sounding rocket (as is generally the case).  I was pretty pleased with the increased performance over a similar setup based on 1.3.1 (though there is the annoying parts bin graphics bug in 1.6.1, I may try an install on 1.7.3 based on reading a couple folks who said it works the same).

TEXqCw6.png

For lifting heavier loads and flying higher (it's based on a rocket that could kick 700+ kg above 200 km on the way to a 200 km ground target, after all), there's this (it's been improved and upgraded several times since this image was made).

GLL50Ot.png

This version had a stability problem after MECO (apparently it needed the 3 degree gimbal to keep the nose pointed straight).  Current version has the fins offset down onto the engine shroud.  Newer versions, with RD-102 and AJ10-27 spin stabilized upper stage can throw 360 units of sounding payload, biological sample capsule, barometer and thermometer, plus two parachutes and a sounding rocket telemetry unit, well above 400 km.  Unfortunately, when it's been that high, it burns up on reentry.  need to work on that...

Craft files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcjylxy3z08rsgy/SR-1.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxquzafnhxrwqae/SR-2.craft?dl=0 (updated, current version)

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
Accidentally posted incomplete.

There have been a number of upgrades on the 1.5m platform since last post.  I abandoned the A-4 engine with its Ethanol 75/LOX  (in the face of its A-9 upgrade to Hydyne/LOX) for the RD-100 sequence; I'm currently using the RD-101 (Ethanol 90/LOX) because the RD-102 has barely more thrust and a slightly shorter rated burn time, i.e. it's no extra performance but at a higher price -- and I can't afford the RD-103 upgrade yet (not sure it's a significant improvement, either, and I've got the Redstone's engine with its Hydyne upgrade path on the way).

Meanwhile, we all know that if you put a small rocket on top of a larger one, and stage at MECO, you add their burnout velocities instead of their altitudes, and your altitude gets LOTS higher (Project Bumper, 1949-1951).

Here's this career's take on that.

ntPVReV.png

1U46sju.png

Early film camera to 800+ km, even when angled off by around 5 degrees early in the booster burn.  This camera payload was recovered between the Florida Keys and Cuba (launched from Canaveral, of course).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0yw0k3uypo5pgm/SR-2b-RD1-fc.craft?dl=0

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

• 3 weeks later...

As the program progresses, the vehicles go higher, faster, and heavier -- and eventually, if "faster" is in the correct direction, they just stay up there.

Meet Diana Mk. 1.  Named after the huntress of ancient myth, whose bow appears as the thin crescent moon a couple days each side of the new.

H6KDQIo.png

A pair of RD-103 boosters (1 minute burn), air-started RD-103 core (shortened tank, ~1:50 burn), kerosene nitric acid third stage (copy of the Wasserfall missile engine, from the Forgotten Real Engines mod, I believe), and two AJ10-27 unguided upper stages (the final one launched with only a partial tank of fuel, to adjust dV for the very light payload on the initial launch -- and needed an early shutdown even so to avoid an excessive apogee height).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b6tc97ynenv2nl/Diana Mk_ 1.craft?dl=0

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

• 1 year later...

Hatsunese Space Program -  Rockets 1952-1972

EVhwqgs.png

1952-1960: Negi-1 and Negi-2 sounding rockets (similar to Aerobee and Viking)

Spoiler

1952: Negi-1 sounding rocket

Haz9tg8.png

1954: Negi-1A sounding rocket

oKs5XrE.png

1957: Negi-2 sounding rocket

z5j1Fkd.png

1959: Negi-2A sounding rocket

nhJCqIM.png

1960: Negi-2B orbital rocket (similar to Vanguard, but pretend it has better reliability)

0h04XHo.png

1962: M-1 rocket (similar to Thor-Ablestar)

F9avJR5.png

1967: M-1A rocket (Thor-Delta Heavy)

l0BKai9.png

1970: M-1A crew version (Utahime)

LmX67LQ.png

1972: M-1B rocket (Thor-Centaur Heavy, but with non-balloon tanks)

zk9FzmA.png

Edited by Pipcard

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.