The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

On 12. 2. 2017 at 5:27 PM, Nittany Tiger said:

Saturn VB (Saturn MLV-V-4(S)) (Stats include Ares Mission Module (AMM) and Apollo CSM, exclude MEM):

Wow, that thing is big. Impressive work on the spacecraft, too!

On 16. 2. 2017 at 0:59 PM, Epox75 said:

Some landing footage! :)

How did your lens caps fare? :P

On 17. 2. 2017 at 2:48 AM, quasarrgames said:

Got to orbit today.

Good job! Paraphrasing a certain rather famous author, half of RO's difficulties are now behind you=)

Anyway, I reckon I'll spam this thread some more, here's a year-and-a-half old thing recently rebuilt for 1.1.3. Not terribly useful, but it's RP-0 stock so if anyone wants to play with it it's in my craft file folder.

Eaglet

Basically a small ICBM with the warhead and decoy attachment points swapped for payload interfaces.There's three of them and, oh right, no fairing. Like on a couple of Russian sea-launched missiles, everything has to fit in the last interstage. After orbital insertion, the upper stage discards its main engine and can maneuver using nose-mounted post-boost thrusters before the satellites detach. Due to proximity to the engine, they have to be covered by protective shrouds during launch, but...eh. Would've made it even more useless.

Payload: 100 kg to low Sun-Synchronous orbit, ~150 kg to LEO from Wallops?

GLOW: 40.0 t

Cost: 24.4 million in 2017 USD. But at least the military pays for it...

rYfDAkH.png?1

Upper stage after engine ejection, two satellites visible. This is an old pic from 1.0.something, but I didn't change much.

mvAZOjW.png

In other news, you'll get to see a crewed circumlunar mission soon, along with a couple of more modern vehicles=)

6 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

... How did you guys get RO?

1.2 pre release...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19_dhwSioZODCCtMFD0kZOtbmbg--ryoE0nzoWJL2cRc/edit#gid=0

Alright since I don't want to double post, here is my old lunar lander.

PCePwvp.png

So first of all, I dismissed the TWR since I thought it wouldn't matter when the Mun's surface gravity is 1.62 m/s. Wrong. The Apollo descent engine is weak as heck. Glad I never flew the mission. Second, I found out when I was trying to correct the Launch vehicle's second stage to be able to have enough DV to get the whole spacecraft to the moon, (Orbiter included) That the entire Apollo spacecraft weighed basically as much as my lander here and here I am trying to build a thing that will get 60 tons to the Moon. That just ain't happening. So I redesigned it.

sHqIRTd.jpg

(Ignore the bottom bit, just a bit of extra life support and avionics)

Weighs about the same as the Apollo lander, just a lot less DV which is ok since I didn't need that much anyways. Much more powerful engine, just not as efficient. Uses a slightly less heavy Gemini capsule and not as much life support. The previous one had food for at least 100 days. And I used a few SSTU parts along with the FASA and procedural parts.

And I thought since I'm copying the NASA constellation mission plan, why not use the same rockets?

G5S6EEs.jpg

Ares V made with Proc. Parts, Proc. Fairings and SSTU. Not that accurate but hey, at least I got the diameter right, right?

But that's it for now.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

7 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Dunno if you can get it for 1.1.3 still.  That's the last stable version I think.  You just miss out on 1.2 features that I think are very useful for RSS/RO like auto-strutting and fuel flow management.

You just have to find KSP version 1.1.3 somewhere.

As far as myself, I installed RSS/RO last year well before 1.2 using CKAN.  I copied the game from Steam, removed the mods I was using there, and then installed RSS/RO.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

22 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I for one am still on 1.1.3. But yes, the prerelease apparently works if you take some time to set it up manually :) 

16 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Weighs about the same as the Apollo lander, just a lot less DV which is ok since I didn't need that much anyways. Much more powerful engine, just not as efficient. Uses a slightly less heavy Gemini capsule and not as much life support. The previous one had food for at least 100 days. And I used a few SSTU parts along with the FASA and procedural parts.

Looking good! What are you using for power generation? Batteries are fine if you plan to stay on the surface for a day or two, but for longer missions fuel or solar cells would be the lighter option.

9 minutes ago, Ravenchant said:

I for one am still on 1.1.3. But yes, the prerelease apparently works if you take some time to set it up manually :) 

Looking good! What are you using for power generation? Batteries are fine if you plan to stay on the surface for a day or two, but for longer missions fuel or solar cells would be the lighter option.

If I didn't add any, I would use small fixed solar panels. As for the orbiter which I haven't posted here, that will have some slightly bigger solar arrays for power generation. So I'm still tweaking. I haven't added antennae to either craft yet either. But I am very close to completing the preparations for the mission! 

Actually, look near the top of the landing capsule. I did add some small solar panels there. I also added some batteries next to the second stage of engine.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

1 hour ago, Firemetal said:

If I didn't add any, I would use small fixed solar panels. As for the orbiter which I haven't posted here, that will have some slightly bigger solar arrays for power generation. So I'm still tweaking. I haven't added antennae to either craft yet either. But I am very close to completing the preparations for the mission! 

Actually, look near the top of the landing capsule. I did add some small solar panels there. I also added some batteries next to the second stage of engine.

Fire

Good luck, and keep us posted! But a crewed Gemini capsule sips 2 kilowatts and IIRC the small panels give like 40 watts apiece when fully lit? Better double up on those batteries :D 

1 hour ago, Ravenchant said:

Good luck, and keep us posted! But a crewed Gemini capsule sips 2 kilowatts and IIRC the small panels give like 40 watts apiece when fully lit? Better double up on those batteries :D 

You're right I should pay more attention to my power generation. RO power is different than stock. And if you're interested, I have a mission report that I will post my progress on every few days or so. I will post most stuff there but occasionally, I will post here.

Fire

Any tips to reduce floppy rocket syndrome?  During some runs with my Saturn VB using my kOS script, after SRB jettison, my rocket loses all structural integrity and starts to gyrate around it's z-axis.  This doesn't always happen, but I don't know when or why it does.

E46E0233756C43ACF65F0E112C4B1B512412146A (1280×720)

F7B8EA04BF1DF2F7CAEE27A74381EF945BC94F2B (1280×720)

I have attempted to strut up the weak joints, but that doesn't seem to help the problem.

@Nittany Tiger Struts usually work for me, not sure. Maybe a kraken attack related physics glitch?

Hopefully flying LLM-1 tomorrow, just debating whether to do it in one or two launches.

Here is the lunar orbiter and its launch vehicle.

W2uRzmD.jpg

qNIyV91.jpgThis will launch if I fly the two launch mission and dock to the lander & transfer stage in LEO before executing TLI. Now here is the Single launch configuration.

P87eUY0.jpg

9iRi3Mg.png

This I thought might work since it is only adding around 20 tons to a 250 ton second stage & lander and 3115 ton launch vehicle, payload, second stage and all. Except instead of acting like an Ares V, it acts like a Saturn V. Same mission plan basically. Though I get more DV if I do it with two launches. This has about 1100 to make mistakes with.

But I kind of like the idea of one launch more. Quicker, less tedious, more efficient. The only thing the two launch config does better is DV. But they both have more than enough to do it.

But that's it for now.

Fire

8 hours ago, Nittany Tiger said:

@Firemetal I have 6x struts on the weak parts already.  Again, the flexing seems to only happen sometimes.

7E3754440DDCE189C203E572D8F01C28C0A9A7D7 (1280×720)

This is a time I wish I had the autostruts of 1.2

Yeah, I think it is a Kraken related glitch. Once I built a Saturn V and made it very rigid. I even used autostrut but it kept wiggling out of contro and blowing up at a certain point during launch. Then I launched it again and it didn't. Keep in mind that this was stock. The only way I could explain it was the Kraken.

Fire

It's probably a Kraken, but it's not one that strikes every time, so I can get my craft to orbit if I can psych the Kraken out, or somehow load the ship so it doesn't get floppy after SRB sep.

To be honest, I will have to watch out for the Kraken at all times on this mission.  I've had it strike once during testing in orbit of the propulsion module and command module docked after firing the MS-II engines.

42A5CF260CBE50926623BC1E9173C684CB47DAF1 (1280×720)

Edited by Nittany Tiger

Pfft, this thread needs more replies. @Firemetal, how is your landing coming along? :)

Anyway, here's Kaon:

r2eWIxR.png?1

It was supposed to lift around 12 tons to low orbit, and K-mesons have approximately half the rest mass of protons, hence the name. But it actually does quite a bit more, 15.5 tons to a 65° inclined low orbit. The lower stage, block-C, has 4 NK-15 engines. I couldn't get them to fit on a 4m core, so they are arranged in a thrust structure underneath the 2m kerosene tanks. Also, they magically can gimbal (sekrit dokuments tovarischi xaxaxa). The insulated central tank is 4m across and holds liquid oxygen. The upper stage, block-L, has a single NK-19 engine burning for almost 7.5 minutes and starts out at a paltry 0.57 TWR when flying with maximum payload.

0UBqfFo.png?1

Chinese-style hotstaging (the interstage remains attached to stage 1)

riQ9nV9.png

Test payload. Roll control of stage 2 is via nitrous oxide thrusters, but they're pretty weak.

As for craft files: The Kaon one is here, I think RP-0 and SovietRockets are enough for it to load. I also added two launch towers to the subassemblies folder, one with arms as seen below and the other without it to remove the IR dependency.

uNZa8Qj.png

That rocket, btw, launched the TLI stage for a crewed Moon flyby, with the Gemini launching separately. Here's the whole complex just before docking:

PUeuiQr.png

5 minutes ago, Ravenchant said:

Pfft, this thread needs more replies. @Firemetal, how is your landing coming along? :)

Yeah............ Experiencing some technical difficulties. I decided to build another lander except this was a direct land and return one. 180 tons. Then I built a scaled up N1 to get it to the Moon. It didn't go so well. Returning to the Apollo style mission. I'm going to go back to my original plan. Do it like the Ares missions. The question is whether I build another lander or not. But I haven't given up! I will post updates soon.

Fire

Yeah, it's easier to see from the underside :) They're attached to a thing procedural tank and offset, the tank itself is mounted on an IR hinge which sits on a stubby procedural wing pylon for clearance (not the same probe, but the panels are identical).

wLbzS26.png

I just launched my first space station in my new RP0 carreer, and I'm quite happy with the looks of the LV:

CqRIqX8.png

First stage of 5 E-1s

5P8rf2W.png

Second stage powered by 4 LR105s

dAGR9EY.png

4 AJ10 engines placed the 16 tonne station in a 600 x 600 km orbit.

The rocket has a TWR of 1.15 on the pad, which is not exactly great, but with some careful piloting you can get 16+ tonnes of payload to LEO.

Michal.don

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.