[1.8.x to 1.12.x] kRPC: Control the game using C#, C++, Java, Lua, Python, Ruby, Haskell, C (Arduino)... (v0.5.2, 18th March 2023)

djungelorm

Hello everyone!

I really really want to start programming with this mod, because I'm learning Java, and this just unites it with my favorite game ever!

However, I can't seem to make this work.

See if you guys can help me, or direct me to right direction. I already installed Python 3.6. Then I downloaded the Java Client from Github. I installed the mod on Gamedata as normal. I started trying to make the hello world tutorial for Java language.

Contrary to what the tutorial says about using the "javac" to compile the file, I discovered that you need to separate the "krpc-0.3.10.jar" and "protobuf" files with a " ; " and not a " : " or else it doesn't compiles.

Anyway, I got this to work, I compile the file, and end up with a file "testeJava.class", but I can't start it using "java testeJava" because of a JNI error right on my command prompt. This is the complete error:

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>javac -cp krpc-java-0.3.10.jar;protobuf-java.
3.3.0.jar;javatuples-1.2.jar testeJava.java

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>java testeJava
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: krpc/client/RPCExcept
ion
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetMethodRecursive(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.validateMainClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: krpc.client.RPCException
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>

What I'm doing wrong? Do I need to transform the .class file into a python file and run it there? How do I do it? :(
I reaaaally wanna start learning this ^^

~Renan

Contrary to what the tutorial says about using the "javac" to compile the file, I discovered that you need to separate the "krpc-0.3.10.jar" and "protobuf" files with a " ; " and not a " : " or else it doesn't compiles.

That's because you're on windows. It's ":" on Linux. I should make this clearer in the docs...

Anyway, I got this to work, I compile the file, and end up with a file "testeJava.class", but I can't start it using "java testeJava" because of a JNI error right on my command prompt. This is the complete error:

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>javac -cp krpc-java-0.3.10.jar;protobuf-java.
3.3.0.jar;javatuples-1.2.jar testeJava.java

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>java testeJava
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: krpc/client/RPCExcept
ion
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetMethodRecursive(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.validateMainClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: krpc.client.RPCException
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more

C:\Users\Renan\Desktop\ScriptskRPC>

What I'm doing wrong? Do I need to transform the .class file into a python file and run it there? How do I do it? :(

You need to pass the classpath to the java command as well. Try:

java -cp krpc-java-0.3.10.jar;protobuf-java.3.3.0.jar;javatuples-1.2.jar testeJava

You could also your classpath environment variable to save having to pass this every time you call java/javac (see here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/classpath.html)

Hope that helps!

That would be really nice - I found the internal endpoint in FAR that would be needed, here, which would be enough (sweep each along the relevant axis). If it's too annoying to add, I could probably submit a PR.

A PR would be very welcome :)

I had a quick look at the code link, and all the classes have package level visibility, so we wouldn't be able to access it. The code also appears to be designed to work from the editor, not the flight scene, which might cause issues.

I had a quick look at the code link, and all the classes have package level visibility, so we wouldn't be able to access it. The code also appears to be designed to work from the editor, not the flight scene, which might cause issues.

Nothing that reflection can't fix - Trajectories was calling into FAR with it for years, no reason kRPC can't either, though it would probably be a good idea to submit a matching PR to the FAR repo to expose that functionality publically in the future. For this, it should be more than fast enough, especially considering the overhead in the wire protocol.

For my application, it's fine if it can only be used in an editor scene, since the aerodynamics of the vehicle are assumed to be constant during the guidance phase, so precomputing the parameters and then saving to be used later is absolutely fine. However, you're right, it would be nice to get it working in the flight scene too, so that the system can adapt to things moving/exploding.

• 2 weeks later...

v0.4.0 has been released :)

After more than a year in development (in parallel with the 0.3.x versions) I've finally released this rather large update... The main changes include:

• The plugin now allows you to start more than one server, with different settings.
  • Improved the protobuf communication protocol to improve performance and simplify the protocol (details here: https://github.com/krpc/krpc/pull/325)
  • Added a websockets server protocol for interacting with browsers.
  • (The serial IO server protocol isn't quite finished and will be released in a future update - I didn't want it to delay this release any longer)
  • Streams provide a mechanism to synchronize on stream updates. This allows a client program to wait (efficiently, either using a condition variable or a callback) until the value of a stream changes.
  • Events: you can now add events to the server and wait on them (efficiently). For example, you can create an event that is triggered when your craft reaches a certain altitude. The sub-orbital flight tutorial has been rewritten to use these: http://krpc.github.io/krpc/tutorials/suborbital-flight.html
  • The server no longer freezes when the game is paused, and RPCs have been added to pause/unpause the game
  • RPCs can now throw custom exceptions in the client, making error reporting much nicer.

The full changelog is available here: https://github.com/krpc/krpc/releases/tag/v0.4.0

The new format for types is great! I was working on implementing a client in Julia (having a Python layer in between me and kRPC was getting overly annoying), and that solves one of my biggest headaches (parsing the type strings). Thank you very much!

Hello everybody !

I am working on a personal project using kRPC, and after the new KSP update, I tried to install kRPC 0.4 but it's not working properly so far...
The thing, I don't really know what I am doing and I think I may have messed things up a bit. Before the new KSP update, I managed to make kRPC work but in fact I don't really know why, and I think that it may be the reasons I am not able to reproduce it now haha.

So, as every mod, I unzipped it, and put the kRPC folder in the GameData folder of KSP, next to the Squad one. But what am I supposed to do with the client, schema and all these other files ? I tried different things with them, but I really didn't know what I was doing.

I am using python 3.6.2 and I was already using it before the update.

When I run this script in my python environment :

import sys
import krpc
import google.protobuf
print(sys.version_info)
print(krpc.__version__)
print(google.protobuf.__version__)

I can read that in my shell : 

Python 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5, Jul  8 2017, 04:57:36) on Windows (64 bits).
This is the Pyzo interpreter with integrated event loop for TK.
Type 'help' for help, type '?' for a list of *magic* commands.
Running script: "C:\Users\Nico\Desktop\My KSP Project\test_config.py"
sys.version_info(major=3, minor=6, micro=2, releaselevel='final', serial=0)

When I am trying to connect to the server using these two lines of code :

import krpc
conn = krpc.connect(name='Sub-orbital flight')

I get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\users\nico\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\krpc\__init__.py", line 36, in connect
    assert ok_message == Decoder.OK_MESSAGE
AssertionError

Of course I added a new server and started it before running these two lines in my python environment...

What am I missing ? Do you have a more detailed tutorial somewhere ? I am a bit lost...

Thanks for your time and for this awesome mod!

On 10/17/2017 at 5:26 PM, Thazaarak said:

Hello everybody !

I am working on a personal project using kRPC, and after the new KSP update, I tried to install kRPC 0.4 but it's not working properly so far...
The thing, I don't really know what I am doing and I think I may have messed things up a bit. Before the new KSP update, I managed to make kRPC work but in fact I don't really know why, and I think that it may be the reasons I am not able to reproduce it now haha.

So, as every mod, I unzipped it, and put the kRPC folder in the GameData folder of KSP, next to the Squad one. But what am I supposed to do with the client, schema and all these other files ? I tried different things with them, but I really didn't know what I was doing.

I am using python 3.6.2 and I was already using it before the update.

When I run this script in my python environment :

import sys
import krpc
import google.protobuf
print(sys.version_info)
print(krpc.__version__)
print(google.protobuf.__version__)

I can read that in my shell : 

Python 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5, Jul  8 2017, 04:57:36) on Windows (64 bits).
This is the Pyzo interpreter with integrated event loop for TK.
Type 'help' for help, type '?' for a list of *magic* commands.
Running script: "C:\Users\Nico\Desktop\My KSP Project\test_config.py"
sys.version_info(major=3, minor=6, micro=2, releaselevel='final', serial=0)

When I am trying to connect to the server using these two lines of code :

import krpc
conn = krpc.connect(name='Sub-orbital flight')

I get :

File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\users\nico\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\krpc\__init__.py", line 36, in connect
    assert ok_message == Decoder.OK_MESSAGE
AssertionError

Of course I added a new server and started it before running these two lines in my python environment...

What am I missing ? Do you have a more detailed tutorial somewhere ? I am a bit lost...

Thanks for your time and for this awesome mod!

The error is caused by trying to use python client library version 0.3.9 to talk to a server version 0.4.0. You need to update the python client library to 0.4.0 as well. If you are using pip, this is as easy as:

pip install --upgrade krpc

The communication protocol changed a bit in kRPC 0.4.0, which means that older clients (version 0.3.x) can't communicate with it. Unfortunately there is no version checking logic when a client connects, so the error message you get is a bit unhelpful!

9 hours ago, LuigiThirty said:

I'm trying to link an existing program with kRPC and protobuf but linking kRPC 0.4 against protobuf 3.4.1 results in a ton of undefined reference errors. What version of protobuf should I be using?

That's the correct version!

I've downloaded the mod yesterday to create a custum controler but i get stuck on connecting to ksp.

• Gameversion 1.3.0.1804 since mod is not for 1.3.1 on curse
  • Python krpc version 0.4.0
  • Python version 3.6.3

If I run the following python code:

import krpc
conn = krpc.connect(
    name='My Example Program',
    address='127.0.0.1',
    rpc_port=50000, stream_port=50001)
print(conn.krpc.get_status().version)

The script keeps on running and wont ever make a connection, when i interrupt the program I get the following traceback:

File "krpcTest.py", line 5, in <module>
      File "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\__init__.py", line 31, in connect
      	response = rpc_connection.receive_message(ConnectionResponse)
      File "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\connection.py", line 35, in receive_message
      	data += self.partial_receive(1)
      "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\connection.py", line 78, in partial_receive
      	return self._socket.recv(length)
KeyboardInterrupt  

If the server is not running when i try to connect it returns right away so it knows what the server is. From testing I found that changing the ip ingame and in the script does not matter. Also connecting without parameters does not make a difference.

Eny tutorial or forum post that i could find assumes the step above just works...

I hope there is a simple solution or something obvious I am missing.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. the image of krcp is broken on my version, does that have to do something with it?

12 hours ago, TechRo said:

I've downloaded the mod yesterday to create a custum controler but i get stuck on connecting to ksp.

• Gameversion 1.3.0.1804 since mod is not for 1.3.1 on curse
  • Python krpc version 0.4.0
  • Python version 3.6.3

If I run the following python code:

import krpc
conn = krpc.connect(
    name='My Example Program',
    address='127.0.0.1',
print(conn.krpc.get_status().version)

The script keeps on running and wont ever make a connection, when i interrupt the program I get the following traceback:

File "krpcTest.py", line 5, in <module>
      File "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\__init__.py", line 31, in connect
      	response = rpc_connection.receive_message(ConnectionResponse)
      File "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\connection.py", line 35, in receive_message
      	data += self.partial_receive(1)
      "C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\krpc\connection.py", line 78, in partial_receive
      	return self._socket.recv(length)
KeyboardInterrupt  

If the server is not running when i try to connect it returns right away so it knows what the server is. From testing I found that changing the ip ingame and in the script does not matter. Also connecting without parameters does not make a difference.

Eny tutorial or forum post that i could find assumes the step above just works...

I hope there is a simple solution or something obvious I am missing.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. the image of krcp is broken on my version, does that have to do something with it?

I haven't released the latest version of the mod on curse because they have changed the requirements for the file structure inside the release archive (and declared my uploaded file "invalid" :( ) which is why you couldn't find a version that supports 1.3.1 on there. I will look into fixing that and getting it released on curse too!

From the error message, I'm guessing you are using kRPC server v0.3.x with KSP 1.3.0, which will not work with python client v0.4.0, as the communication protocol changed somewhat with the new version (the server will deny the connection, leaving the client hanging). You will need to either upgrade to kRPC server v0.4.0 (available from github or via CKAN) and use KSP 1.3.1, or downgrade your python client to v0.3.11.

You can also verify if my guess is correct by checking the contents of the player.log. It probably contains a debug message about the client connection being denied.

Also, which image? Do you mean the button in the in-game toolbar? Broken how?

Hope that helps!

35 minutes ago, djungelorm said:

I haven't released the latest version of the mod on curse because they have changed the requirements for the file structure inside the release archive (and declared my uploaded file "invalid" :( ) which is why you couldn't find a version that supports 1.3.1 on there. I will look into fixing that and getting it released on curse too!

From the error message, I'm guessing you are using kRPC server v0.3.x with KSP 1.3.0, which will not work with python client v0.4.0, as the communication protocol changed somewhat with the new version (the server will deny the connection, leaving the client hanging). You will need to either upgrade to kRPC server v0.4.0 (available from github or via CKAN) and use KSP 1.3.1, or downgrade your python client to v0.3.11.

You can also verify if my guess is correct by checking the contents of the player.log. It probably contains a debug message about the client connection being denied.

Also, which image? Do you mean the button in the in-game toolbar? Broken how?

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot!

I was sure I was using version 0.4.0 but D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\client told a different story. I manualy updated the files and I can make a connection now! Its getting kinda late so I will play with it more tomorrow.

I could not find the player.log file you mentioned, where could I find that?

Below the missing sprite, persist after the update to 0.4.0:

kspKrpcBrokenImage.png

1 hour ago, TechRo said:

Thanks a lot!

I was sure I was using version 0.4.0 but D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\client told a different story. I manualy updated the files and I can make a connection now! Its getting kinda late so I will play with it more tomorrow.

I could not find the player.log file you mentioned, where could I find that?

Below the missing sprite, persist after the update to 0.4.0:

kspKrpcBrokenImage.png

The log should either be in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)

Do you have any toolbar mods installed? That doesn't look like the stock toolbar (that is vertically stacked in the top right). The log might have some error messages relating to the image? It should be the image inGameData/kRPC/icons/toolbar-offline.png or GameData/kRPC/icons/toolbar-online.png Maybe post your log and I can take a look.

10 hours ago, djungelorm said:

The log should either be in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)

Do you have any toolbar mods installed? That doesn't look like the stock toolbar (that is vertically stacked in the top right). The log might have some error messages relating to the image? It should be the image inGameData/kRPC/icons/toolbar-offline.png or GameData/kRPC/icons/toolbar-online.png Maybe post your log and I can take a look.

No this in my only mod, I took the picture inside the SPH for a clear background. After locating the image folder i found more images, like close window, those also do not show up ingame. 

The log can be found here: www.webdesignnop.nl/output_log.txt

26 minutes ago, TechRo said:

No this in my only mod, I took the picture inside the SPH for a clear background. After locating the image folder i found more images, like close window, those also do not show up ingame. 

The log can be found here: www.webdesignnop.nl/output_log.txt

There's no obvious errors in the log :( It appears to load the textures correctly, so why they don't appear correctly I'm not sure. I'm going to be away this evening and over the weekend but will have another look into this next week. They shouldn't affect your use of the mod too much :)

18 hours ago, lushr said:

Quick question: how is the field return_is_nullable in procedures interpreted? Does the return of a nullable method not appear in the return value list at all, or is its value simply empty with some hole value left behind? 

This applies only to procedures that return an object (by returning its id number on the server). If return_is_nullable is true, the procedure may return null, which is indicated by returning the value 0. If it's false, the procedure is guaranteed to never return null.

Exciting news - I've just released v0.4.1, with the following changes:

The full changelog is available here: https://github.com/krpc/krpc/releases/tag/v0.4.1

Under 64 bit KSP on Windows, kRPC 0.4.1 fails to launch with this log:

[ERR 20:38:16.581] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KRPC.IO.Ports, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 20:38:16.582] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KRPC.IO.Ports, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 20:38:16.589] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KRPC': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteClient' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteServer' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteStream' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__Iterator0' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

It looks like the KRPC.IO.Ports DLL didn't make it into the package, which is causing it to not launch. I can get kRPC to launch again by compiling and adding the KRPC.IO.Ports DLL from the other repository.

Edited by lushr

7 hours ago, lushr said:

Under 64 bit KSP on Windows, kRPC 0.4.1 fails to launch with this log:

[ERR 20:38:16.581] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KRPC.IO.Ports, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 20:38:16.582] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KRPC.IO.Ports, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 20:38:16.589] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KRPC': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteClient' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteServer' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KRPC.Server.SerialIO.ByteStream' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__Iterator0' from assembly 'KRPC, Version=0.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

It looks like the KRPC.IO.Ports DLL didn't make it into the package, which is causing it to not launch. I can get kRPC to launch again by compiling and adding the KRPC.IO.Ports DLL from the other repository.

Ooops! Thanks for spotting this - I've released 0.4.2 that includes the missing DLL.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to first thank djungelorm for this great mod, it takes KSP to the next level!

I've already programmed a basic rocket landing script, but my code is all over the place and I'd like to make it nicer. To this end, I thought about using streams to get information about the vessel's flight. I, however, run into problems when trying to add a raycasting stream. You see, I use raycasting to determine the location of my potential landing site as opposed to the vessel.surface_altitude attribute because I'm not always landing on perfectly flat terrain. My prototype program casts a ray from the vessel's lower bounding vector in the direction of its velocity vector. I am trying to set up a stream to do this continuously, but run into the following problem: I can't find a way to get an expression for accessing the first element of vessel.bounding_box. Is there a way to do this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.