Design example for plane with only Aviation unlocked

Hi guys,

I am trying to build my first plane in Career mode with only Aviation unlocked (and all other 45 science items), but without luck - plane is not steering, so I cant take off. I am tried to use elevons, and setting inputs, but still it doesn't work.  Could give me idea or simple design?

Thx!

Another example of  Aviation level craft.

Rqqxfee.jpg

What's not intuitive is, give the main wings a slightly leading edge high placement.  Hold the left shift key while placing the part and tap w,a,s,d.

Wings in KSP do not act as air foils on a real plane.

A KSP lifting surfaces only provides lift if it is at an angle to the flight path.

And, welcome to the forums!

25 minutes ago, ScarM said:

What's not intuitive is, give the main wings a slightly leading edge high placement.

This is great advice. Wings with angle of incidence can reduce fuselage drag a lot.

Wings in KSP do not act as air foils on a real plane.

Actually wings in KSP work as real airfoils, but a specific type of symmetric airfoil, that is usually only used on aerobatics aircraft that are meant to fly equally both upside-down and in normal attitude. Ironically aerobatics aircraft often don't have angle of incidence for this reason.

A KSP lifting surfaces only provides lift if it is at an angle to the flight path.

While it is true that cambered (non-symmetric) airfoils give a little lift at zero AoA, that is not the main source of lift for real aircraft. Most of the lift from real aircraft comes from AoA, just as it does in KSP (well, in KSP all of the lift comes from AoA). The main advantage of the cambered airfoil is that it reduces the drag and keeps the airflow laminar longer, than a symmetric airfoil at the same AoA.

8 hours ago, Vybber said:

Thanks a lot, but still you using engines and intakes from later Aerodynamics tech, but I`l try the same design with smaller engines at home

Oops, I was looking at a pre juno tech tree in my science save. Replace the engine and intake with a pair of podded junos high on the rear fuselage and it works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.