New Nostalgia Thread!

Djolox

Before I bought KSP, I had downloaded one of the free pre alpha versions...  It was from back when it was nearly impossible to orbit, and I made it into orbit around Kerbin.

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ye Gads, my 'puter choked just loading the pics!

yea, the frame rate is horrible... I haven't launched any more in a while, I moved on to shuttles, and vetical launch ssto rockets/vertical launch airbreathing+rocket engine rockets, some with horizontal landing capabilities, some vertical.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes to get one of those to orbit in real time due to the slow frame rate, if carrying a payload near its upper limit.

0.23 is where I started.

Souposphere was life.

My first Mun lander looked like a tower.

My rocket designs were brilliant. How to radially add boosters to rocket? Put a radial decoupler, attach Thumper SRB, attach radial decoupler, attach orange fuel tank with engines.

• 1 month later...

I started playing during the 0.15 times, but I only had the 0.13.3 demo. When 0.16 came out, I bought it. Oops. I already submitted this to this thread. :P 

On 1/26/2016 at 8:42 AM, Wallygator said:

It's strange that pre 1.0 is considered nostalgic these days ;-)  But that's cool.  I drank the cool-aid with .21 (I think it was .21... was there a .21?)

I recall "science spamming" as it became a very strange and necessary dance for every mission.  I don't miss that.

Science Spamming was only possible in 0.22. :)

Edited by GregroxMun

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Bah! Youngling!

I was working as sales-tech when those came around.

Try 8080 or the venerable (and space related) RCA 1802 COSMAC :)

You know, it may have been an 8080 anyways, my RAM occasionally fails, you can see it on my forehead above my blank stare:

Read Error at memory location: Frontal Lobe 0XC800495
Abort, Retry, Fail?

:)

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I started playing when the orange tank was still the largest stock tank. It was KSP 0.23, and I discovered it in February 2014.

Here's my "I'm learning to KSP!" album:  :)

Where are the flying pancakes?  Why didn't you figure out that .23 had no aero model to speak of, and flying pancakes were the way to go?  I knew when I joined that I would miss the mad science of KSP once the fixed the aero, but I only want to go back to visit, and play most of my KSP here (or 1.1, although I'm not terribly interested even with a AMD thread-needy processor).

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

Where are the flying pancakes?  Why didn't you figure out that .23 had no aero model to speak of, and flying pancakes were the way to go?  I knew when I joined that I would miss the mad science of KSP once the fixed the aero, but I only want to go back to visit, and play most of my KSP here (or 1.1, although I'm not terribly interested even with a AMD thread-needy processor).

LOL, yes, for the first week or so, I was building mostly vertically. When I started doing repeated Mun landings and the like, it become more common for me to build large asparagus lifters. Sometimes with 18 mainsails. Heh. :)

Edited by NecroBones

Well I remember when you had only the Mun to go to, but did NOT have any landing gear. You had to construct some horrible monstrosity out of decouplers and winglets if you didn't want to risk your (as previously mentioned) completely naked engines.

4 hours ago, Sir Pnakotic said:

Well I remember when you had only the Mun to go to, but did NOT have any landing gear. You had to construct some horrible monstrosity out of decouplers and winglets if you didn't want to risk your (as previously mentioned) completely naked engines.

Those naked engines were much tougher back then, to be sure.  Back then most rockets sent to the Mun had a lot in common with the rockets you see on the covers of 1950's scifi books.  Or of Duck Dodgers fame, even. Gets me to want to give that a try with 1.05 parts.  I will conquer the Mun or there will be a Kerbin-Shattering Kaboom.

But this image is what won KSP for me:

4YZSg.png

I just up and decided to fly straight up for one of my earliest missions. It rewarded me with this image of Kerbin and the Mun in the same shot, and the first time I entered solar orbit.

On 26/01/2016 at 0:10 PM, Evanitis said:

Ahh wait, there's a guy around somewhere who's avatar kinda' summarizes my memories from the early KSP...

Yup, there it is:

photo-46191.png

What's that, grandpa?

I also have a couple of fun scenarios in the Demo from late 2013. It's hilarious to look at those pictures in that thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.