[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

On 2/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, NecroBones said:

Posted:

0.3.2 (2016-02-01) - Alpha development.
 - Added 8 retrorockets to the Atlas V CCB.
    - updated sample rockets (propellant and staging).
    - Starts with realistic total 4.2 units (31.5 kg) propellant. Can be increased to 8 units.
 - Added missing "vessel type" info for the Atlas V and Delta IV upper stages.
 - Added F-1B engine variant (with "best guess" stats).
 - Added MM patch to add SMURFF exclusion to all RSB parts, if SMURFF is detected.

Thanks for Adding The F-1B.

J-2T is a Torodial Aerospike of either 200 or 250Klbs thrust (890kN or 1.1mN) It later evolved into the Linear Aerospike RS-2200 for use on the X-33  J-2T uses basic J-2 Pumps and attachments,  RS-2200 uses updated J-2S pumps and attachments.   Assuming since the J-2T is a Toorodial, that stearing of the thrust would be by external gimbals (IE gimbal the same way the Bell does on the J-2 Conventional engine.) 

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/j2t250k.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospike_engine

23 hours ago, NecroBones said:

How is it looking with the squished Y axis?

From a distance it's actually looking quite "Stock-ish cute" to me. I like it. Up close, the CCB looks fine. The Centaur... well the Hydrazine bottles look a bit funny. Maybe. You have to look close, and even then it only looks "off" if you know they are spheres in the RSS model. If you're a Stock-only player then they probably look cute. No other parts were Y-scaled down since we only needed to reduce the tank volumes. Overall I think it looks more Stock-like and yet has better textures than Stock, to MY eyes at least.

Here... I took a picture of it once I got home from work. It's cute at Stock-size if you ask me...

0KIiCkF.png

@PART[RSBengineRD180]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}

!CoMOffset = DELETE
	@mass = 3
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  2
	@bulkheadProfiles = size2

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@maxThrust = 650
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 320
			@key,1 = 1 280
			@key,2 = 3 0.001
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
}

@PART[RSBtankAtlasVcore]
{	
	@title = Atlas V Common Core Booster
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.25, 0.5
	}
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 3.625, 0.0,      0.0, 1.0, 0.0,   2
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -3.625, 0.0,  0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  2
	@node_attach = 0.9375, 0.0, 0.0,        1.0, 0.0, 0.0,   2
	!CoMOffset = DELETE
	!CoPOffset = DELETE
	@mass = 2.175
	@bulkheadProfiles = size2
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 1566
		@maxAmount = 1566
	}
	@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
	{
		@amount = 1914
		@maxAmount = 1914
	}
	@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 1
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@maxThrust = 10
	}
}

@PART[RSBinterstageAtlasCentaur400]
{	
	@title = Atlas V 400 Interstage
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.925, 0.0,  0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.125, 0.0,      0.0, 1.0, 0.0,   2
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
	{
		@name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
		@ejectionForce = 200
	}
	!MODULE[ModuleSeeThroughObject] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSeeThroughObject
	}
}

@PART[RSBengineRL10A42]
{	
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1, 0.0,   0.0, 1.0, 0.0,   1
	@mass = 0.5
	@CoPOffset = DELETE
	@CoMOffset = DELETE
	@bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@maxThrust = 60
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 345
			@key,1 = 1 85
			@key,2 = 3 0.001
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
}

@PART[RSBtankAtlasCentaur]
{	
	@title = Common Centaur Second Stage
	@CoPOffset = DELETE
	@mass = 0.100   // battery
	@mass += 0.025  // prop tank
	@mass += 0.015  // mono tank
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.25, 0.5
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 180
		@maxAmount = 180
	}
	@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
	{
		@amount = 220
		@maxAmount = 220
	}
	@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]
	{
		@amount = 250
		@maxAmount = 250
	}
	@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
	{
		@amount = 2000
		@maxAmount = 2000
	}
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.9625, 0.0,           0.0, 1.0, 0.0,   1
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.2125, 0.0,       0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_engineC = 0.0, -1.4625, 0.0,      0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_engineL = 0.275, -1.4625, 0.0,    0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_engineR = -0.275, -1.4625, 0.0,   0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_connect1 = 0.7625, 0.9625, 0.0,  -1.0, 0.0, 0.0,   1
	@node_stack_connect2 = -0.7625, 0.9625, 0.0,  1.0, 0.0, 0.0,   1
}

@PART[RSB_PLF_AtlasV400_1]
{	
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.7625, 0.0, 0.0,   1.0, 0.0, 0.0,   1
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
	@mass = 0.28
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
	{
		@minThrust = 5
		@maxThrust = 5
		@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]
		{
			@amount = 0.1
			@maxAmount = 0.2
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleAnchoredDecoupler]
	{
		@ejectionForce = -100
	}
}

@PART[RSBdecouplerAtlas500Payload]
{	
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free
	}
	@mass = 0.05
	@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
	{
		@name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
		@ejectionForce = 100
	}
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0,   0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  1
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0,       0.0, 1.0, 0.0,   1
}

I flew this to KTO with a 1000 kg payload.

Edited by Felbourn

5 hours ago, Felbourn said:

From a distance it's actually looking quite "Stock-ish cute" to me. I like it. Up close, the CCB looks fine. The Centaur... well the Hydrazine bottles look a bit funny. Maybe. You have to look close, and even then it only looks "off" if you know they are spheres in the RSS model. If you're a Stock-only player then they probably look cute. No other parts were Y-scaled down since we only needed to reduce the tank volumes. Overall I think it looks more Stock-like and yet has better textures than Stock, to MY eyes at least.

58 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

Here... I took a picture of it once I got home from work. It's cute at Stock-size if you ask me...

0KIiCkF.png

I flew this to KTO with a 1000 kg payload.

That looks adorable. :)

For the centaur, something I could do is break out the spheres to a separate model, so they could be attached in the part CFG without squashing. It costs an extra draw call (and an extra file in the folder), but that should be OK. I already did something similar with the Delta IV DCSS models.

That would be awesome, because then we could load the Mono (or Hydrazine for RSS) into those for even more realism. So... combine the two tanks into one PART and use an attachment node to get them exactly where you want them?

7 hours ago, Felbourn said:

That would be awesome, because then we could load the Mono (or Hydrazine for RSS) into those for even more realism. So... combine the two tanks into one PART and use an attachment node to get them exactly where you want them?

Even simpler, I'd set them up as a separate "MODEL {}" in the CFG, so when writing MM configs to scale the Centaur, it would just need to scale them separately (by scaling the primary model, and just re-positioning the secondary). Creating it as a second part would be of course possible, but I'm still trying to minimize the part count by default. Separate models allows for more flexible modding of the mod. ;)

Ah yes true... part count. Yes your way is better then, and still allows me to reuse your Mono tanks for other thing if I want.

Oh the tubes of the CCB retros get squished but I really don't think they need a new part. You barely notice.

7 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Oh, OK because for a second i thought that you had forgot to add it (based on the fact that there was a part config and the textures are reused). My bad :P.

LOL, yes I can see how that would be confusing. I've actually done that a few times in this project, I think. I'll sometimes start stubbing out some configs while I'm looking at data on a website, and then build the model afterward. If I haven't gotten to the modeling yet when I do the next release, it doesn't hurt anything, you just get some errors in the log and the part doesn't get added to the menus.

On February 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM, NecroBones said:

That looks adorable. :)

For the centaur, something I could do is break out the spheres to a separate model, so they could be attached in the part CFG without squashing. It costs an extra draw call (and an extra file in the folder), but that should be OK. I already did something similar with the Delta IV DCSS models.

Honestly, I'D LOVE to see a stock Saturn (Or Sarnus/Katurn) I/IB. Give it a stockname scale it down and BOOM!!!

1 minute ago, berkekrkn said:

I have unavailable experimentel parts problem. İs there a solution ?

You mean as part contracts? I have no idea. They should show up as experimental parts that are temporarily available if you get a contract for it before it is unlocked. Are you getting an error, or is it just missing from the menu?

All of the contract "constraint" settings are just copied from similar-function stock parts.

18 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

You mean as part contracts? I have no idea. They should show up as experimental parts that are temporarily available if you get a contract for it before it is unlocked. Are you getting an error, or is it just missing from the menu?

All of the contract "constraint" settings are just copied from similar-function stock parts.

Ok. My fault. I've installed community tech tree that enabled locked parts. I'm using rockets in sandbox and carreer mode without problem.

Edited by berkekrkn

I am loving every minute with this pack!

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

The DIRECT Jupiter could use some more parts but this thing has better payload capacity than the SLS and without the 5 segment boosters!

Edit: @NecroBoneswhat data did you use for the mass parameters of the STS solid motor?

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove images

5 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Edit: @NecroBoneswhat data did you use for the mass parameters of the STS solid motor?

Gosh, I don't remember exactly. Often I'm starting at Wikipedia, but then try to compare the numbers against other sites, and pick something reasonable between them. I know one of the ones I looked at was this NASA link, but I also looked here and here. They all mostly agree on the propellant mass, etc.

7 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

what data did you use for the mass parameters of the STS solid motor?

This is also one of the best sites for stats. Click the 'propulsion' tab.

So is this one in some cases, but not for the Space Shuttle SRBs if I recall.

Edited by Felbourn

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I'm having... Trouble... Making RP configs. The flare on the F1 engine doesn't move no matter what I type in... They'll get done though. :P

Are you basing it on "fxTransform"? Most of the engines in this pack have separate transforms for just about everything. The "thrustTransform" is up inside the bell, but the "fxTransform" is down by the rim.

EDIT: If it would help, I can add other empty transforms wherever needed.

EDIT 2: Also, support was recently added for the RealPlume's for-stock variant. Maybe that one can be used as a starting point?

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Felbourn @NecroBones OK, now i understand. I was confused because Orbital ATK also has a 4 segment SRM in the exact same form as the Shuttle one but it has a lower inert mass and more propellant.

Huh, OK. I suspect it might have to do with the shuttle SRBs being an older design (technically speaking) and also having a lot of features that other boosters might not. They have recovery equipment and guidance in the nose cones, gimbal hydraulics, etc, and are designed to be refurbished and reused.

Edited by NecroBones

2 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@NecroBones: You ever think about making a stock sized/named (with kerbal names and definitions) version?

Yep, it's being discussed in this thread.

1 minute ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Wait, so there's already RP configs? 

As far as I know, it's only in the "stock configs". The patch was mentioned here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.