[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

2 hours ago, billkerbinsky said:

The V/4-260 would have put additional kerolox tanks on top of the solid boosters, cross-feeding the first stage.

Darn, that's a clever idea! Why didn't I think of that in KSP?

Alrighty, this is all almost ready. I need to make a couple more adapters, but mostly this is looking good. Here's the new set of scales:

ares      = 0.68181818  // 5.5  -> 3.75
    ariane    = 0.694444    // 5.4  -> 3.75
    arianesrb = 0.819672    // 3.05 -> 2.5
    atlas     = 0.656167979 // 3.81 -> 2.5
    castor    = 0.7944915   // 2.36 -> 1.875 (alternate: 0.63559322, 2.36 -> 1.5)
    delta2    = 0.625       // 2.4  -> 1.5
    delta3    = 0.625       // 4.0  -> 2.5  (and: 2.4 -> 1.5)
    delta4    = 0.7352941   // 5.1  -> 3.75
    pslv      = 0.892857    // 2.8  -> 2.5
    saturn    = 0.5681818   // 6.6  -> 3.75 (and: 10.1 -> 5.74,  12.2 -> 6.83)
    sts       = 0.595238    // 8.4  -> 5.0
    stssrb    = 0.6738544   // 3.71 -> 2.5

The above is from the actual patch files, and controls almost everything. For instance, if you wanted to have the Castor/Athena parts in 1.5m instead of 1.875m, you could swap in that other rescale factor, either by editing the patch file or by adding your own MM config that changes it before the rest of the patch rules are executed. Engine specs are defined more literally (by a different set of multipliers, per engine), but the physical size of all parts, and fuel tank capacities and masses, and SRB capacities and TWR, and so on are mostly controlled by these primary multipliers.

KSP%202016-04-21%2012-11-25-04.jpg

Updated. This update contains a bunch of changes that are needed for the Stockification patches.

0.12 (2016-04-22) - Update.
 - Enabled surface attaching to the Saturn procedural fairing bases (for strutting).
 - Disabled Atlas 500 procedural fairing boattail from menus, since it's not attaching properly in 1.1.
 - Added Atlas 500 procedural fairing based on the interstage instead.
 - Added decoupling node to bottom of Centaur, Agena, and Castors, and updated sample rockets.
 - Adjusted and added more settings for the Stockification patches.
 - Added search tags for the DeltaIV SRMs (GEM-60).
 - Added collider settings for procedural fairing bases.
 - Corrected radial attachment point for Delta III first stage tank.

1 hour ago, popeter45 said:

quick question?

will the rescale be done as a update with a second folder in the zip with rescaled parts or are we gonna need to manually rescale the parts ourselves?

It'll have its own folder, but it uses ModuleManager patches to rescale the existing parts, rather than add new ones. So all you'll have to do is unzip the second folder into GameData and it should just work.  (EDIT: and just for clarity, the stockification patch pack is totally optional)

21 hours ago, Temeter said:

Darn, that's a clever idea! Why didn't I think of that in KSP?

I've done it with Necrobones' SpaceY solids.   It's a little fussy to get the tank sizing correct (you want them to go dry just as the solids burn out), particularly if you're using the mechjeb thrust-limiter or otherwise throttling back the core to avoid excessive dynamic pressure.   

I feel like an idiot. For a couple of versions, RSB has had a conditional to not use its tech nodes for when the stock-alike patches are applied. Fixing this now so that it's ready.

0.12.2 (2016-04-22) - Hotfix.
 - Adjusted the custom tech nodes to still be created when the optional stockification patches are used.

On 4/22/2016 at 6:04 PM, billkerbinsky said:

Another component candidate:   The 260" diameter (about 6.6m) aerojet monolithic solid rocket motors.   Never flew, but the smaller configuration was test-fired.

Described here: http://www.astronautix.com/stages/260lidhl.htm and here:  http://www.astronautix.com/engines/aj2602.htm and here: http://www.astronautix.com/engines/aj260x.htm

Use cases: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/satint05.htm and the monster Saturn V/4-260: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/satv4260.htm

The V/4-260 would have put additional kerolox tanks on top of the solid boosters, cross-feeding the first stage.

On 4/22/2016 at 8:32 PM, NecroBones said:

Wow that's nuts. I'll have to read up on it some more. :)

Necro,

Yes! Definitely read up on these things when you can find time. Pretty cool stuff. These are precisely the 260's that I was referring to in my earlier post. FYI, Thiokol  was also working on a design as well, but had a case failure in early testing. NASA and the contractors were really thinking big back in those days when they thought they had all the money in the world. The full length was to produce almost 8 million pounds of thrust at lift-off. Now, imagine FOUR of these things strapped on to a S-1C first stage. I think nary a window pane in all of Brevard County would have been left unscathed.

Edited by Jay Mission

@NecroBonesdid some more debugging with the latest RSB version and KSP 1.1:

Graphics:

• Some flag decals with transparent backgrounds (like the stock NASA flag) have transparency problems when hovering the mouse above them, with the background disappearing. Affected parts include:
Agena-D Upper Stage (RSBtankAgenaD)
Atlas V 400 Interstage (RSBinterstageAtlasCentaur400)
Atlas V 500 Interstage (RSBinterstageAtlasCentaur500)
Ariane V Payload Fairing (RSB_PLF_ArianeV5m)
Atlas V 500 Long Payload Fairing (RSB_PLF_AtlasV500_3)
Atlas V 500 Medium Payload Fairing (RSB_PLF_AtlasV500_2)
Atlas V 500 Short Payload Fairing (RSB_PLF_AtlasV500_1)
Atlas V 500 Procedural Fairing (RSBfairingAtlas500)
  • The flag decal for the Saturn V S-IVB is missing (the option for toggling it exists though - [Warning]: [FlagDecal Warning!]: Flag quad object is given as flagDecal, but no object found in model with that name).

Part modules:

• The "Atlas V 500 Procedural Fairing (5m/3.81m)" base throws an exception while loading (not sure what is the problem with this part, the ModuleProceduralFairing is not different than the one from the stock 3.75m fairing base):
[LOG 10:19:16.038] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Etc/RSBfairingAtlasCentaur381/RSBfairingAtlasCentaur381'
[WRN 10:19:16.042] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSBclass not found in Part
[EXC 10:19:16.053] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModuleProceduralFairing.WipeMesh ()
	ModuleProceduralFairing.OnAwake ()
	PartModule.Awake ()
	UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)
	PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
	PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
	<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A:MoveNext()
[LOG 10:19:16.057] PartLoader: Part 'RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Etc/RSBfairingAtlasCentaur381/RSBfairingAtlasCentaur381' has no database record. Creating.
[EXC 10:19:16.061] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModuleProceduralFairing.WipeMesh ()
	ModuleProceduralFairing.OnAwake ()
	PartModule.Awake ()
	UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
	DragCubeSystem:SetupPartForRender(Part, GameObject)
	<RenderDragCubesCoroutine>c__IteratorB:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	<SetupDragCubeCoroutine>c__IteratorD:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A:MoveNext()
[LOG 10:19:16.065] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'RSBfairingAtlasCentaur381'
  • The decoupler FX is missing from some parts. Affected parts include:
Agena D tank (RSBtankAgenaD)
Castor 30 SRM (RSBengineCastor30)
Castor 120 SRM (RSBengineCastor120)
Saturn V S-IC tank (RSBtankSaturnSIC)
  • The Castor 30, the Castor 120 and the RL10B-2 do not generate any surface FX ([ModuleSrfFX]: No IThrustProvider module found at index 0!).
Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove syntax highlighting

@Phineas Freak OK cool, I should be able to fix most of those things without too much trouble. The flagDecal transparancy thing is weird. It's affecting all of them in all of my mods as far as I can tell, and I don't know why it would be doing that. They're just using the standard transparency shader for all of that. I may have to do some digging/experimenting on that one.

15 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

@Phineas Freak OK cool, I should be able to fix most of those things without too much trouble. The flagDecal transparancy thing is weird. It's affecting all of them in all of my mods as far as I can tell, and I don't know why it would be doing that. They're just using the standard transparency shader for all of that. I may have to do some digging/experimenting on that one.

It looks like the flag decals just need to be switched to KSP/Alpha/Cutoff shader, instead of KSP/Alpha/Translucent. I'll have to recompile all of the parts with that change, which shouldn't be too bad.

OK, first test release of the optional stock-alike patches is available. Things probably still need more tweaking and so forth, but it's finally functional enough. :) Please make sure you have RSB 0.12.2 if you are going to use this. Download links are in the OP (and I'll look into getting it into CKAN).

0.2 (2016-04-24) - Initial test release.
 - This is the first test release.
 - Requires RSB 0.12.2 or later.

Necro, how do you plan to proceed with new vehicles now that the stock scale patch is up? Are you going to add any more? Will these vehicles receive stock scaled versions as they are added, or will you release them in waves? Or will they not receive stock rescales?

1 hour ago, Jodo42 said:

Necro, how do you plan to proceed with new vehicles now that the stock scale patch is up? Are you going to add any more? Will these vehicles receive stock scaled versions as they are added, or will you release them in waves? Or will they not receive stock rescales?

I'll probably update the stock rescales along with them.

Alrighy, a bunch of fixes:

0.12.3 (2016-04-25) - Bug fixes and Cleanup.
 - Added a config patch that cleans up the "RSBclass" log spam.
 - Fixed many "transparent flags" in the VAB by switching to the KSP/Alpha/Cutoff shader.
 - Fix for surface-effects on Castor 30/120 and RL10B-2 engines.
 - Added missing decoupler FX for several parts.
 - Re-enabled Atlas V 500 boattail style procedural fairing.
    - Fixed a "NullReferenceException" associated with this fairing.
 - Fixed a visual glitch with some of the Atlas interstage/fairing parts.
 - Corrected some radius issues with Atlas V procedural fairings.
 - Added a note in the description for all parts that decouple at the bottom node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.