[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

OK, let me know. Also, I asked on the ModuleManager thread about the missing logs for the patches applied, and they reminded me that it does that when it's loading everything from the cache. If it's still not working, can you delete "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" in GameData, run KSP again, and send me the new log?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjgwokduvkf33qc/KSP.log?dl=0 new log. still happens uninstalled mod manager and reinstalled.

2 hours ago, Basedoesgames said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjgwokduvkf33qc/KSP.log?dl=0 new log. still happens uninstalled mod manager and reinstalled.

I'm still not able to find anything specific. I'm really stumped as to why this problem would single out one specific texture like that, which clearly works for most other people. There has to be something in your configuration that's different, that causes this. I'd love to find a "smoking gun" that another mod is stepping on it, or for some reason the MM configs are working differently than expected, or something. But I just don't see anything.

I guess at this point, a good test would be to try an experiment with only RSB installed and see how it looks, then slowly add the other mods back in if it looks OK. And probably also try running a "repair" if you have KSP installed via Steam. Running out of ideas. :wink:

5 hours ago, NecroBones said:

OK, let me know. Also, I asked on the ModuleManager thread about the missing logs for the patches applied, and they reminded me that it does that when it's loading everything from the cache. If it's still not working, can you delete "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" in GameData, run KSP again, and send me the new log?

45 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I'm still not able to find anything specific. I'm really stumped as to why this problem would single out one specific texture like that, which clearly works for most other people. There has to be something in your configuration that's different, that causes this. I'd love to find a "smoking gun" that another mod is stepping on it, or for some reason the MM configs are working differently than expected, or something. But I just don't see anything.

I guess at this point, a good test would be to try an experiment with only RSB installed and see how it looks, then slowly add the other mods back in if it looks OK. And probably also try running a "repair" if you have KSP installed via Steam. Running out of ideas. :wink:

DO you think it may be caused by running 64 bit?

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

I reinstalled ksp, reinstalled RSB, tried both bits, still happened. Its not game breaking, still playable, just would be nicer to have a nicely textured rocket.

1 hour ago, Basedoesgames said:

I reinstalled ksp, reinstalled RSB, tried both bits, still happened. Its not game breaking, still playable, just would be nicer to have a nicely textured rocket.

Gosh that is so strange. 64 bit shouldn't matter.

Here's another experiment we can try. Can you go down into GameData/RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Atlas, and delete "RSBatlas-Specular.dds", and then download the MBM version and place that in there. I'm curious if that will make a difference. I'm starting to have a suspicion that it's the DDS conversion. But since I can't reproduce the problem on my side, I can't test anything here. If this fixes it, I may just revert back to the MBM version for that file. What's odd is that the DDS is actually larger than the MBM, which is unusual.

1 hour ago, Basedoesgames said:

Actually, before trying the MBM above, try this new DDS:  http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/RealScaleBoosters/RSBatlas-Specular.dds

I recompressed it. The size is more along the lines of what it should be.

EDIT:  Actually better yet, I recompressed all of the ones that had the wrong size, and am pushing out the update shortly. I hope this fixes it.

Minor suggestion: The included craft are not quite RO-friendly, as they have the launch clamps and first stage engines in the same stage (RO models spool up time for engines). If they had the clamps in another stage after the main engines the craft would not drop to the pad before lifting off.

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Minor suggestion: The included craft are not quite RO-friendly, as they have the launch clamps and first stage engines in the same stage (RO models spool up time for engines). If they had the clamps in another stage after the main engines the craft would not drop to the pad before lifting off.

That's a good point. Old habits die hard. :wink:  I can definitely fix that.

2 hours ago, Basedoesgames said:

Yay, it's fixed! http://imgur.com/SFLDHJr

AWESOME! Yes, so for some reason, the less-compressed copy was problematic for some people, but not all. I still don't get why. But now I know to look for this.

btw with RO when it says "non RO" to any part, for example engine, do I really have to manually right-click each single engine of the first stage and tell it to "Enable engine" before the launch?

Does it behave like this because of the RO-implemented "Engine ignitor" or whatever and it does not work on "non RO" ...?

I used the F1 and its variants.

I was searching on this board  (bad board software, really) and using Google but no success - nobody seems to mention it anyhow.

53 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

btw with RO when it says "non RO" to any part, for example engine, do I really have to manually right-click each single engine of the first stage and tell it to "Enable engine" before the launch?

Does it behave like this because of the RO-implemented "Engine ignitor" or whatever and it does not work on "non RO" ...?

I used the F1 and its variants.

I was searching on this board  (bad board software, really) and using Google but no success - nobody seems to mention it anyhow.

That's a good question. The RO folks will know the answer to that on their thread. I believe that's a sort of "catch-all" MM patch that they have for things that haven't been configured into their revamp specifically.

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

That's a good point. Old habits die hard. :wink:  I can definitely fix that.

Changing your craft in your pack isn't going to do any good with RO. With all the changes RO makes, they won't be present with the craft you have in your pack.

So while changing them to have the liquid engines start, then release clamps is a good idea in general. The craft will need to be rebuilt with RO anyway.

True, the fact that the fuels are different alone will necessitate rebuilds. I guess it'll probably be more for the in-between cases where people want some realism, but aren't going all the way toward RO. At least it's a small change.

4 minutes ago, StoryMusgrave said:

Changing your craft in your pack isn't going to do any good with RO. With all the changes RO makes, they won't be present with the craft you have in your pack.

So while changing them to have the liquid engines start, then release clamps is a good idea in general. The craft will need to be rebuilt with RO anyway.

They really don't. Source: I was flying some of these rockets in RO last night, they have the correct resources, etc.

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

They really don't. Source: I was flying some of these rockets in RO last night, they have the correct resources, etc.

That's good to know. I knew it sounded that way. Either way, I have the edits ready for the next update. :)

2 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

I absolutely love this mod. It is basically a must have for realism overhaul. And I love the PSLV and Carrack rockets in this. Thanks so much for making this mod happen!!

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I notice that the engines in this pack don't have lower attachment points, so I can't seem to put things like procedural interstages/fairings etc under them. The craft files work fine, seemingly by having the interstages attach to the same node as the engine (not sure how that works), but I don't seem to be able to make my own vehicles using the engine parts.

Just wondering if there is some way around this that I'm not realising, great mod btw.

4 hours ago, mcdouble said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I notice that the engines in this pack don't have lower attachment points, so I can't seem to put things like procedural interstages/fairings etc under them. The craft files work fine, seemingly by having the interstages attach to the same node as the engine (not sure how that works), but I don't seem to be able to make my own vehicles using the engine parts.

Just wondering if there is some way around this that I'm not realising, great mod btw.

Yep, this is intentional. In the real rockets, the engines aren't attached to the lower stages, and often there are several of them on the same stage. So the interstages attach to a node that's in the tank itself (often hidden from view, since it's aligned to the tank rims). If I added nodes to the engines too, they'd interfere with the snap-range for attaching the lower tanks to the interstage.

It's different than what you're used to, yes, bit it's aiming for a little more realism. :)

I'm thinking about the idea of adding nodes to the engines, but it's that interference problem that might make it impractical. That and the fact that none of the engines conform to stock diameters, but rather their real-world diameters. Even with the stock-alike patches, the tanks will have stock-alike diameters, but not the engines. I kinda wish I could just add a menu-switch to toggle a bottom node on/off, or something like that.

For now it'll need to be the way it is.

Last night I decided to fire up RO/RSS and try launching the Delta II. I changed the sample rocket's payload around a bit, and got it to orbit. Not the best orbit, certainly, but it made it. I usually do my testing on Kerbin, rather than Earth, so it's nice to see this for a change. :)

KSP%202016-05-10%2021-03-07-57.jpg

KSP%202016-05-10%2021-21-12-25.jpg

Also started a first stab at various launch clamps/towers. I want to add some towers that are reminiscent of the Delta/Atlas towers, and maybe some others. The Saturn V tail service masts would be a good thing to add, I think. This first one is just a generic plain grey ground-level clamp to stabilize the base of the rocket, not patterned after anything real, and it's roughly the size of the stock clamp:

KSP%202016-05-10%2019-49-01-02.jpg

Saturn V tail service mast diagram:

m288.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.