[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

6 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@NecroBonesyou mean like the Delta II/IV FUT and the Atlas V MLP? That...would be something so excellent that cannot be described!

That's what I'm thinking, but mainly the towers as "launch clamps", without the mobile platform.

7 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@NecroBonesyou mean like the Delta II/IV FUT and the Atlas V MLP? That...would be something so excellent that cannot be described!

And of course, now I'm thinking about how it could possibly work to make the entire platform. Heh. :wink:  I have no idea what any of this will look like now. :D

EDIT: I might make the clamp/tower as planned, and think later about how a platform might work. It would probably need to attach via an additional stack node on the rocket. But I'm getting way ahead of myself since I have no idea what I'll do. :wink:

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

EDIT: I might make the clamp/tower as planned, and think later about how a platform might work. It would probably need to attach via an additional stack node on the rocket. But I'm getting way ahead of myself since I have no idea what I'll do. :wink:

For inspiration, here are some high-speed shots of a space shuttle launch, including footage from inside the tail service masts which protect the umbilicals after disconnection from the orbiter.   Interesting motion (it yanks the connectors back and then a door slams shut).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE&feature=youtu.be&t=9m4s

(Warning: this entire video is about 45 minutes...)

12 hours ago, billkerbinsky said:

For inspiration, here are some high-speed shots of a space shuttle launch, including footage from inside the tail service masts which protect the umbilicals after disconnection from the orbiter.   Interesting motion (it yanks the connectors back and then a door slams shut).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE&feature=youtu.be&t=9m4s

(Warning: this entire video is about 45 minutes...)

Yeah, I definitely want to have some shielded retraction on some of the tail service masts. I'll probably make a few different models. :wink:

OK, two types of clamps so far. The first retracts and rotates slightly, leaving the attachment plate exposed. The second is a larger variant that has a protective door, and the plate retracts inside, and has hoses:

KSP%202016-05-12%2012-54-33-62.jpg

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

OK, two types of clamps so far. The first retracts and rotates slightly, leaving the attachment plate exposed. The second is a larger variant that has a protective door, and the plate retracts inside, and has hoses:

KSP%202016-05-12%2012-54-33-62.jpg

Nice. Working on making own launch clamps?

13 hours ago, e of pi said:

Any chance somebody could post some images of the Saturn iC, Saturn H03, and the Carracks in this pack? I'm afraid my version of KSP isn't up to date and I'm curious how they look. :)

Sure, I think I can grab some screenshots. The Saturns will look a little different than you're used to, since we decided to put the orange foam only on the cryogenic parts of the tanks, rather than the entire stages, with the idea that it didn't make sense to put foam over the kerosene tanks. I had a few screenshots a number of pages back, but I think they were close-ups of specific parts. I'll just make some new screenshots.

14 hours ago, e of pi said:

Any chance somebody could post some images of the Saturn iC, Saturn H03, and the Carracks in this pack? I'm afraid my version of KSP isn't up to date and I'm curious how they look. :)

Some shots:

KSP%202016-05-16%2011-01-38-98.jpg

KSP%202016-05-16%2011-02-42-81.jpg

KSP%202016-05-16%2011-03-41-93.jpg

Hi is there a chance you can add in a real scale N1 rocket?  I am really interested in it as it has some very nice engines and it is quite an impressive and unique design and the mods that implement it currently only give a kerbal scale version which is a real shame if you ask me.

19 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

Hi is there a chance you can add in a real scale N1 rocket?  I am really interested in it as it has some very nice engines and it is quite an impressive and unique design and the mods that implement it currently only give a kerbal scale version which is a real shame if you ask me.

Possibly. I'll add it to the "maybe" list on the first page. A real scale version could be pretty cool.

2 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

The N1 used throttling to steer... obviously you'd have to fudge in some gimbal range at the cost of clipping engine bells together. 

Ugh. yeah I forgot about that.

2 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

The N1 used throttling to steer... obviously you'd have to fudge in some gimbal range at the cost of clipping engine bells together. 

Could simply either have the thrust gimbal (without the bells following) or have it so every other bell goes or both. Additionally, using the new gimbal constraints could reduce that even more.

First "tower" style launch clamp is working. My hope is to make more of them later. This one is loosely inspired by the Delta umbilical towers. The real one for the Delta II stands on a diagonal, for instance. To keep things simple, this stands straight-on, and only has one hose attachment point. I can always pretty this one up some more later too.

KSP%202016-05-19%2011-33-15-07.jpg

KSP%202016-05-19%2011-33-51-16.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.