[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

Is this happening to anyone else, where upon loading the pre-built crafts, it's 'assembled' in explosive form? Happened on my live install so I made a clean KSP install with only following mods: Filter Ext, Hangar Ext, KJR, MM, RealPlume, RSB, RealChute, SmokeScreen, and Bizzy's toolbar. Issue persisted across installs. 

0TuMKiU.png

J2Mm8ZT.png

Edited by Nyia

37 minutes ago, Nyia said:

Is this happening to anyone else, where upon loading the pre-built crafts, it's 'assembled' in explosive form? Happened on my live install so I made a clean KSP install with only following mods: Filter Ext, Hangar Ext, KJR, MM, RealPlume, RSB, RealChute, SmokeScreen, and Bizzy's toolbar. Issue persisted across installs.

Did you install the RSB "Stockification" patches? If so, you'll need to use the "RSBstock" sample rockets instead of the standard "RSB" samples. They are toward the end of the list if you installed everything with CKAN (otherwise you'll find them in that pack's "ships" folder).

1 minute ago, Nyia said:

That was the problem, then. Will RSB work with 64k? 

Yep, it's just up to you as to whether you want to use the stock-alike patches or not. Without those, RSB rockets behave like the real world rockets, and tend to be a little overpowered for stock, but 64k of course scales things up a bit.

Just now, NecroBones said:

Yep, it's just up to you as to whether you want to use the stock-alike patches or not. Without those, RSB rockets behave like the real world rockets, and tend to be a little overpowered for stock, but 64k of course scales things up a bit.

Awesome, thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Have new rockets been paused, or are you finished with this pack for good? I was really looking forward to some of the planned rockets, but we'd all understand if you wanted to move on to new projects.

16 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Have new rockets been paused, or are you finished with this pack for good? I was really looking forward to some of the planned rockets, but we'd all understand if you wanted to move on to new projects.

Yep, just paused. I haven't had much time in the last few weeks, and I also go in and out of working on things anyway. Sometimes a break is useful too. :)

@NecroBones, I'm thinking that there should be attachment nodes on the bottoms of each engine, then the possibility of attaching the engine first, then the stage transition. Otherwise, I need to climb into the fairing and try to attach each engine without having them automatically centered on the fuel tank. Also, having such an approach will give this pack a procedural tank/ procedural fairing compatibility (aka. I want to make my own lifters, not fly replicas. We have orbiter for that.). Otherwise, this is one of my favourite mods, and is certainly on my watch-list.

Edited by Matuchkin

On 6/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Matuchkin said:

@NecroBones, I'm thinking that there should be attachment nodes on the bottoms of each engine, then the possibility of attaching the engine first, then the stage transition. Otherwise, I need to climb into the fairing and try to attach each engine without having them automatically centered on the fuel tank. Also, having such an approach will give this pack a procedural tank/ procedural fairing compatibility (aka. I want to make my own lifters, not fly replicas. We have orbiter for that.). Otherwise, this is one of my favourite mods, and is certainly on my watch-list.

For now it needs to stay this way, unless I can come up with a good solution. Here are some details and tips surrounding this:

• The main reason it's like this, is because of real rockets. Real rocket stages attach via the interstage, and not the engines. Plus, some upper stages have multiple engines, sometimes without one in the center. A good example is the twin-engine variant of the Centaur upper stage. In my case, the Centaur needed to work with in both the single and dual engine configurations.
  • If the interstages are going to work the way they do now, I can't really add bottom nodes on the engines easily without them interfering with the interstage bottom nodes. The VAB gets very single-minded about which attachment nodes it thinks you should be attaching things to, and I have no control over the priority order. I ran into this problem when making the thrust plates in SpaceY. If nodes are close together and overlap at all, it can be next to impossible to attach things to the one you want to.
  • The easiest way to work with this, is to attach the engines first. You don't have to use the surface-attach mode, of course. You can hold down "Alt" and rely on the attachment nodes. And then attach the interstage, and build the lower stage below it. The only time I've ever had to mess around inside the interstage in the VAB when building the sample rockets, was if I wanted to add struts inside. If you want to make changes to the engines afterward, you can always grab the interstage, and pull the whole lower part of the rocket off, make your changes, and then stick it back on. But I get that you're talking about using them with proc tanks and the like.

What I would really like is an option to have an optional bottom node added via the right-click menu in the VAB. As a tweakable, that would solve everything. But I don't know of any plugins that add that capability. I need the bottom nodes to stay turned off by default, but I'd be happy to add MM configs to work with another mod if that capability exists somewhere. I'd probably need to add shrouds too, but that's doable.

So it's not off the table altogether, but it's going to depend on whether we can make optional attachment nodes.

12 hours ago, S0NofThunder176 said:

@NecroBones, Will you add Capsules to this mod for the Saturn rockets? if not that is fine I will be surprised if I get responded to.

The short answer is, I don't know yet. :wink: Right now this is meant to be just the launch vehicles, but I haven't ruled out spacecraft entirely. The trickiness is in terms of how to handle the optional stock-alike rescaling of the parts, particularly if they end up with IVAs that need to line up with the exterior.

14 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

The short answer is, I don't know yet. :wink: Right now this is meant to be just the launch vehicles, but I haven't ruled out spacecraft entirely. The trickiness is in terms of how to handle the optional stock-alike rescaling of the parts, particularly if they end up with IVAs that need to line up with the exterior.

well thanks for the answer. I would love capsules but if not that would be OK. I need something since fasa is still in 1.0.5. Any other mods that could Help?

1 minute ago, S0NofThunder176 said:

well thanks for the answer. I would love capsules but if not that would be OK. I need something since fasa is still in 1.0.5. Any other mods that could Help?

FASA works ok in 1.1.2 as long as you don't use the baby sergeant x11 decoupler and the LEM landing fairing - I think there are collider issues and it blows up once decoupled because the game thinks there are two parts clipped.

You can use SSTU for Apollo / Orion / Soyuz capsules, too. As long as you fit them on these awesome launchers from RSB :P

1 minute ago, Theysen said:

FASA works ok in 1.1.2 as long as you don't use the baby sergeant x11 decoupler and the LEM landing fairing - I think there are collider issues and it blows up once decoupled because the game thinks there are two parts clipped.

You can use SSTU for Apollo / Orion / Soyuz capsules, too. As long as you fit them on these awesome launchers from RSB :P

well thanks I did not Know it worked I still like RSB a bit better

Edited by S0NofThunder176

I have a few questions/ideas.

1. You have the Ares I already. What about the Ares V?
  2. Ariane 6
  3. Titan IV
  4. Minotaur V & Minotaur-C
  5. Pegasus

I feel that these rockets would fit in with the mod extremely well. I understand if you can't add them. Also, I know this has probably been asked already, so I'm sorry, but why are there no Russian rockets in this mod?

P.S. Thanks for introducing me to the Eyes Turned Skyward alt. history timeline!

Edited by KSPNerd

I actually have an even better idea!!! Just make a new mod that adds all of the rockets & spacecraft from the Eyes Turned Skyward alt. universe, it would be an Eyes Turned Skywards mod!!! Actually... an Eyes Turned Kerbal mod!!!!

Had an issue from previoius KSP-version 1.1.2. Cannot run RSS yet in 1.1.3 to test further (steam overwrote my install). I do not know if this is KER related or RSB that has something funky going on with the "SMURFF exclude flag". It seems as if my 100% stock payload was getting 'de-smurffed' as well in the Ariane V. 

I plotted a course to the moon that costed ca 3100dV. KER reported that I had 3500 available dV. This should leave me with 400dV to spare. But after my burn from a perfect orbit I came up 500dV short = 900dV mismatch.

Then again, maybe KER has some issues with RSB dV readouts and that your de-smurffing is correctly scripted.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the first part of the burn was done with an RSB upper stage, and from there my stock payload took over with a Terrier.

Edited by SkyKaptn

1 hour ago, SkyKaptn said:

Then again, maybe KER has some issues with RSB dV readouts and that your de-smurffing is correctly scripted.

The de-SMURFFing should be working OK. It only modifies the RSB* parts. But I know KER does have some issues with RSB, due to some of the parts having bottom-decoupling. MechJeb updated a while ago to work with this correctly, so you might want to compare against MJ's dV display.

18 hours ago, CSXK921 said:

i love these parts. best pack available. i am having one problem though. i cant get the SAS to automatically steer the rocket to say a menuver node. did i do something wrong in install. thx 

I'm not sure. The probe cores have SAS capability and some reaction torque as well, but if you're using only the radial reaction wheels, then you would need the SAS component to be provided by a probe core or something like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.