[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

Thanks for this mod, and especially a patch for stock, I love the stockification of these launch vehicles!

Just wanted to report a minor though. In career, despite it appearing correctly in the tech tree node, at least the Delta core stage and 3.75m cryogenic fuel tanks never show up in the VAB. They do however appear/work fine in sandbox. I say 'at least' because I haven't gotten around to see if other parts have been affected, but everything else seems to be just fine.

Just now, Glaran K'erman said:

Thanks for this mod, and especially a patch for stock, I love the stockification of these launch vehicles!

Just wanted to report a minor though. In career, despite it appearing correctly in the tech tree node, at least the Delta core stage and 3.75m cryogenic fuel tanks never show up in the VAB. They do however appear/work fine in sandbox. I say 'at least' because I haven't gotten around to see if other parts have been affected, but everything else seems to be just fine.

If it's in the tech tree, it should show up in the VAB. But I guess there's always the possibility of something screwy going on. Do you have other mods that affect the tech tree installed, such as SpaceY or Community Tech Tree? To test, I'll need to look at the same tech tree you have. It's possible that the stockification patch might be out of sync with one or both of those for those parts.

18 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

If it's in the tech tree, it should show up in the VAB. But I guess there's always the possibility of something screwy going on. Do you have other mods that affect the tech tree installed, such as SpaceY or Community Tech Tree? To test, I'll need to look at the same tech tree you have. It's possible that the stockification patch might be out of sync with one or both of those for those parts.

Yes it's very odd that it shows up everywhere else in the game....except when researched in career! I just now tried removing the Launchers Pack mod, but that didn't help. I'll toss up a screenshot of my mod list in a minute, there are mods that affect the tech tree in there but nothing too crazy.

Here's the list @NecroBones

Edited by Glaran K'erman

You know those time's when you feel really stupid because you were using an outdated version of almost every single mod and have been for a while because you've been busy in real life and every time you hop on you say, "Oh, I'll just do it next time", and then a problem comes up but you realize too late after you post a question about it that it was your fault all along for not properly maintaining your mods?

Yea I know what it feels like.

Everything is fine @NecroBones, tested against a clean install to make sure as well. Facepalm.

Edited by Glaran K'erman

Always love it when a problem solves itself, right!
But hold your horses, no one is getting away with "less work" while I'm around! My muck-it-up powers have promptly activated and I now have no fairings (well any of the non-procedurals that is). Would have probably found this last night if I wasn't so tired, just spot-checked the Delta tanks I was missing. I have made a trade of tanks for fairings it appears! Apologies if you thought you had escaped my clutches.

Edit: real short time span this will be relevant, but SLS booster qualification time!

Edited by Glaran K'erman

Just now, Glaran K'erman said:

Always love it when a problem solves itself, right!
But hold your horses, no one is getting away with "less work" while I'm around! My muck-it-up powers have promptly activated and I now have no fairings (well any of the non-procedurals that is). Would have probably found this last night if I wasn't so tired, just spot-checked the Delta tanks I was missing. I have made a trade of tanks for fairings it appears! Apologies if you thought you had escaped my clutches.

You're using the stockification patches, right? It removes the clamshells unless you're using FAR (or NEAR or RO or something like that), since they won't shield the payload with the stock aerodynamics.

There is a problem I've been using this mod .

I build a rocket Atlas 5 (552). I want to help her and fly to Juno probe to Jupiter (as it was done in real life) . However , was build the Atlas 5 rocket , I saw that the rocket has a total of 11,000 DELTA ( MJ mod) . This is too little for such a mission . It turns out that the rocket does not meet the opportunities.

For my travel to Jupiter I must have 24K DELTA

Edited by Irenicus

3 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

There is a problem I've been using this mod .

I build a rocket Atlas 5 (552). I want to help her and fly to Juno probe to Jupiter (as it was done in real life) . However , was build the Atlas 5 rocket , I saw that the missile has a total of 11,000 DELTA ( MJ mod) . This is too little for such a mission . It turns out that the rocket does not meet the opportunities.

Fjr my travel to Jupiter I mast have 24K DELTA

Juno did not go straight to Jupiter. It went out on a huge heliocentric elliptic orbit picking up a gravity boost from earth before being shout out towards Jupiter.

Hi there i have problem whit atlas 532 552 its always flip over (asymetric  srb) gimbal are to week ??

im using RO + FAR mechjeb dont handle is well whit liftoff :/ 

Edited by tees

2 hours ago, tees said:

Hi there i have problem whit atlas 532 552 its always flip over (asymetric  srb) gimbal are to week ??

im using RO + FAR mechjeb dont handle is well whit liftoff :/ 

Usually the problem has more to do with the aerodynamics combined with KSP steering. MJ isn't immune to it. In KSP there's a lot of over-correction involved, and it doesn't take much to unbalance the drag on the fairing. In my test launches, I would often jettison the fairing at a lower altitude than would happen in the real world, at the cost of some deltaV due to increased drag. The asymmetric thrust isn't as big of a problem as you might expect. For sure, I was surprised that it flies as well as it does. :) However, if you want, you can re-distribute the boosters to give it a symmetrical load, even though that's not the layout that the actual rocket uses.

2 hours ago, Theysen said:

@NecroBones Little request and absolutly low priority I think but would you consider the ES version of Ariane 5? It adds a different upper stage engine and tank to burn storable propellant. The engine used is the Aestus.

Quite possibly. I can add that to the list of possibilities. :)

15 minutes ago, 19chickens said:

OP: Is it possible to attempt an imitation Spacelab 28 mission complete with gimbal failure and inflight abort using the IC?

Well, of course you can always toggle off the gimbal on the engine, and use a launch escape system. If you wanted things like this to happen automatically, I guess you could make something using KOS or something like that.

58 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Well, of course you can always toggle off the gimbal on the engine, and use a launch escape system. If you wanted things like this to happen automatically, I guess you could make something using KOS or something like that.

I was planning on doing the turning-off-the-gimbal thing. In addition, given that a lot of this mod seems to be Eyes Turned Skyward references-can we please have Thunderbolt?

On 7/14/2016 at 2:15 PM, 19chickens said:

I was planning on doing the turning-off-the-gimbal thing. In addition, given that a lot of this mod seems to be Eyes Turned Skyward references-can we please have Thunderbolt?

I'll have to take a look at it. The Saturn variants were a no-brainer since it could build on the real Saturn components I was already making, and the Carrack was an easy choice since I could use the same parts to make the Athena rockets. I don't remember off-hand what the Thunderbolt looks like, so I'll have to go do some googling. :)

Hey @NecroBones

I have a problem when downloading these sort of parts pack. When I download them, the parts show up. No, I'm not a noob and I check if I have put it in the right folder and if my KSP version is up to date.

Mybe my computer is too old. I've had it for 7 years now...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.