[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

• 1 month later...

One problem I've noticed in the latest version of this is that the RCS plumes are giant and appear to fire in the opposite direction from the thrust.  The issue is entirely cosmetic, as the RCS thrust itself is correct, but it is a huge eyesore and makes playing with RSB very difficult.  I finally managed to track down a fix for it here (with credit to both @Shadowmage and @Trufiadok) but that thread is from more than 18 months ago, and since this is the only mod I've found that is still affected by the issue, I figured I'd post the information here.

The source of the trouble lies in the ModuleRCS section of the part definition config file, and the fact that ModuleRCS has been deprecated in favor of ModuleRCSFXModuleRCSFX provides additional features over the older module, but it also requires some extra support code to work.  For example, here's the outdated block from the original Delta IV 4m upper stage:

Spoiler

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleRCS
	thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
	thrusterPower = 0.5			// should only be like 0.04
	resourceName = MonoPropellant
	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
	atmosphereCurve
	{
		key = 0 234
		key = 1 200
		key = 4 0.001
	}
}

And here it is, but updated to use ModuleRCSFX instead:

Spoiler

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleRCSFX
		thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
		stagingEnabled = False
		thrusterPower = 0.5			     //should only be like 0.04
		resourceName = MonoPropellant
		resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		runningEffectName = running
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 234
			key = 1 200
			key = 4 0.001
		}
	}

However, this one change alone isn't enough to make the RCS plumes appear properly; in fact, doing only this change will disable RCS jets entirely.  Instead, you also need to add an EFFECTS block to the config, preferably somewhere above the ModuleRCSFX block.

Spoiler

EFFECTS
{
	running
	{
		AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
		{
			channel = Ship
			clip = sound_rocket_mini
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 0.02 0.1
			volume = 0.5 0.1
			volume = 1.0 0.1
			pitch = 0.0 0.75
			pitch = 1.0 1.5
			loop = true
		}
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
			transformName = RCSthruster
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.1 0.0
			emission = 1.0 1.0
			speed = 0.0 0.8
			speed = 1.0 1.0
			localRotation = -90, 0, 0
		}
	}		
}

This provides both the visual effects and the sound associated with the RCS module.  The transformName should be the same as the thrusterTransformName in the ModuleRCSFX block, and the name of the effect should match the one referenced by runningEffectName.

With both of these blocks in place, the RCS plumes should return to normal, though you may have to tweak the particle parameters to get the effect to look just right for each part.  I just applied the patch to my parts manually (Notepad++ helped a lot with that) but it should be easy for somebody more skilled than I to come up with a Module Manager patch that would get all the parts at once.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2019 at 7:31 AM, rougeaux said:

One problem I've noticed in the latest version of this is that the RCS plumes are giant and appear to fire in the opposite direction from the thrust.  The issue is entirely cosmetic, as the RCS thrust itself is correct, but it is a huge eyesore and makes playing with RSB very difficult.  I finally managed to track down a fix for it here (with credit to both @Shadowmage and @Trufiadok) but that thread is from more than 18 months ago, and since this is the only mod I've found that is still affected by the issue, I figured I'd post the information here.

Very nice explanation.  I didn't  quote it all because of the size

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone! Sorry for my extremely long absence. I've moved on to a variety of other things, and as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not maintaining these mods anymore. Zer0Kerbal has requested taking over maintenance of my mods, and so I've added him to the list of authors on Spacedock and Curseforge, so that these can continue to be updated to work on current versions of KSP. Thank you everyone for all of the love and support over the years. All of this has changed my life in ways I can't begin to describe, and has been some of the best online experience I've had to date. So I'm quite glad that others are willing to pick up the mantle and allow these mods to continue to be used.

Thanks everyone!

@DasSkelett@HebaruSan

Edited by NecroBones

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Real Scale Boosters installation instructions on top of RP-1 Express install for 1.12.3:

1.  ROEngines hides all the RSB engine parts.  To fix this it is easiest to remove the GameData/ROEngines/PatchManager folder entirely.  Or else manually use the PatchManager menu in the space center.

2. The NoNonRP0 hiding of parts is forced active by default now, to revert that edit the GameData/RP-1-ExpressInstall/RP-1Express.cfg file and remove the bottom two sections that mention "HardRemove".

3. There is a conflict with Restock and the RSBstrutXL part which reuses the stock strut model which Restock "deletes" from KSPs knowledge.  I copied the file from GameData/Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/strutConnector/model.mu to GameData/RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Etc/RSBstrutXL.mu and pointed the RSBstructCL.cfg in that directory to the new location.

4. You need to run through all the stock craft files and delete all the LiquidFuel, Oxidizer and Monopropellant.   This is the traditional problem with the RO configs not removing the old stock resources from stock craft for whatever reason.

5. There's a problem with the Delta IV Heavy and MechJeb staging which is only fixed now on the -dev version of MJ because of the addition of Ablator to the RS68 config (but the dev version of MJ is as of this date unstable and buggy and PVG is much different).

6. You'll need to check the engine configs with the UI, and it looks like the rockets are slightly chonky and have too much dry mass and not enough propellant from what I can see so performance is slightly off from reality, it needs some tuning.

7. Some science experiment parts may be attached to a few of the rockets which RP-1 removes.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:15 AM, Jim DiGriz said:

Real Scale Boosters installation instructions on top of RP-1 Express install for 1.12.3:

1.  ROEngines hides all the RSB engine parts.  To fix this it is easiest to remove the GameData/ROEngines/PatchManager folder entirely.  Or else manually use the PatchManager menu in the space center.

2. The NoNonRP0 hiding of parts is forced active by default now, to revert that edit the GameData/RP-1-ExpressInstall/RP-1Express.cfg file and remove the bottom two sections that mention "HardRemove".

3. There is a conflict with Restock and the RSBstrutXL part which reuses the stock strut model which Restock "deletes" from KSPs knowledge.  I copied the file from GameData/Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/strutConnector/model.mu to GameData/RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Etc/RSBstrutXL.mu and pointed the RSBstructCL.cfg in that directory to the new location.

4. You need to run through all the stock craft files and delete all the LiquidFuel, Oxidizer and Monopropellant.   This is the traditional problem with the RO configs not removing the old stock resources from stock craft for whatever reason.

5. There's a problem with the Delta IV Heavy and MechJeb staging which is only fixed now on the -dev version of MJ because of the addition of Ablator to the RS68 config (but the dev version of MJ is as of this date unstable and buggy and PVG is much different).

6. You'll need to check the engine configs with the UI, and it looks like the rockets are slightly chonky and have too much dry mass and not enough propellant from what I can see so performance is slightly off from reality, it needs some tuning.

7. Some science experiment parts may be attached to a few of the rockets which RP-1 removes.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.