NecroBones

[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, 19chickens said:

These two are the only Thunderbolt images I'm aware of.  They're both of a launch of T1Beta, which seems to have a noticeable shorter nosecone than the Thunderbolt-Centaur stack.

OK, I'll add it to the "maybe" list on the front page. It may depend on how much information I can find about what sort of dimensions, fuel capacity, etc it's supposed to have. Granted, I can make up a bunch of stuff too, by comparing to existing rockets, but I prefer to use numbers from the source if I can. :wink:

 

3 hours ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

I have a problem when downloading these sort of parts pack. When I download them, the parts show up. No, I'm not a noob and I check if I have put it in the right folder and if my KSP version is up to date.

Have you double-checked your tech tree? Some of my mods add a lot of new tech nodes that you need to research, if you're playing in Sandbox or Science modes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently rereading a PDF of the timeline's compilations and should hopefully have reached the section on Thunderbolt in the next few days.  When I've done that I'll try and compile the technical data.  AFAIK the mod already includes Centaur; T1 Alpha and T1 Beta are all that's needed for Thunderbolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NecroBones said:

OK, I'll add it to the "maybe" list on the front page. It may depend on how much information I can find about what sort of dimensions, fuel capacity, etc it's supposed to have. Granted, I can make up a bunch of stuff too, by comparing to existing rockets, but I prefer to use numbers from the source if I can. :wink:

 

Have you double-checked your tech tree? Some of my mods add a lot of new tech nodes that you need to research, if you're playing in Sandbox or Science modes.

 

 

No, I play with  Sandbox most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

No, I play with  Sandbox most of the time.

 

I might need to see your KSP.log. To get that, first you will need to delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache in GameData, then run KSP, then grab a copy of KSP.log. Clearing the MM cache first is needed so that it's possible to see if MM is doing something strange.

 

I suspect you're having an odd interaction of mods or something then, if things are missing and you're in Sandbox. What's missing exactly? Everything? Or only certain parts? If it's the clamshell fairings, those will be absent if you also install the optional stockalike patches, but are using the stock aerodynamics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NecroBones

I've really enjoyed all your mods.  Recently, I've been playing RSS with SMURFF (no RO) and started to use a few pieces of Real Scale Boosters.  Then I decided that if a little is good, a lot must be better.

I hereby proudly present, courtesy of your mod....

The Nova Heavy.

JgNjSWO.png

 

http://imgur.com/a/SWlBX

I think if I used the Delta naming convention this would be the Nova Heavy+(10,14).  Long story short, I was able to put an 892 ton fuel depot into a 250 km orbit in RSS.  Thank you for making this wonderfully ludicrous monstrosity possible.

Edit - I'm afraid that imgur and I aren't getting along today.  You'll have to click on the link to see the rest of the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

 

I hereby proudly present, courtesy of your mod....

The Nova Heavy.

 

Edit - I'm afraid that imgur and I aren't getting along today.  You'll have to click on the link to see the rest of the pictures.

 

Awesome! Really big rockets are always great to see. :D Yeah, I tried editing the album in as well, and it's not working. Something's off with the forum embedding for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the excellent work on this. I am using RSB (stock a like configs) with 64K and RF both running. For the most part it works really well, but the I am having an issue with some of the upper stages. They only show the mono propellant, and the RF GUI doesn't let me add any fuel for the upper stage engines. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, teej9 said:

Thanks so much for the excellent work on this. I am using RSB (stock a like configs) with 64K and RF both running. For the most part it works really well, but the I am having an issue with some of the upper stages. They only show the mono propellant, and the RF GUI doesn't let me add any fuel for the upper stage engines. Any ideas?

 

The RF configs probably are just failing to add fuel. You might need to ask them how it's handling parts that have both monopropellant and LFO. I suspect it's detecting just the monoprop first, and only reconfiguring that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but the upper stage engine on the Ares doesn't feel powerful enough, im searching the config with slight results, would all I have to change be maxThrust = 1307 or minThrust = 0 ?

EDIT: Also using the stock configs

Edited by Nukeproof
Additional Information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nukeproof said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but the upper stage engine on the Ares doesn't feel powerful enough, im searching the config with slight results, would all I have to change be maxThrust = 1307 or minThrust = 0 ?

EDIT: Also using the stock configs

Yes, just change the max thrust to be higher. 

It's actually already got significantly more thrust than it should have. The real Ares 1 second stage has a pretty low TWR, and if you wanted to be accurate I reckon it should only have like 400-600kN of thrust. Kind of like the Centaur's RL10 with the stock configs. It's got roughly 400(?)kN, which I believe is 4x more than the real RL10. I think the common Centaur on an Atlas V has a average TWR of around 0.2, which yes, is impossible to fly unless you know what you're doing. :P

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Yes, just change the max thrust to be higher. 

It's actually already got significantly more thrust than it should have. The real Ares 1 second stage has a pretty low TWR, and if you wanted to be accurate I reckon it should only have like 400-600kN of thrust. Kind of like the Centaur's RL10 with the stock configs. It's got roughly 400(?)kN, which I believe is 4x more than the real RL10. 

Ahh I see thanks, i'm trying to use the SSTU mod with it and want to be able to launch the Orion from that using the Ares!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nukeproof said:

Ahh I see thanks, i'm trying to use the SSTU mod with it and want to be able to launch the Orion from that using the Ares!

There's an Ares in SSTU as well, isn't there? All you really need is a Shuttle booster with an additional segment, a J2x engine, and cryogenic tankage. Last I checked that's all there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

There's an Ares in SSTU as well, isn't there? All you really need is a Shuttle booster with an additional segment, a J2x engine, and cryogenic tankage. Last I checked that's all there. 

I just prefer the Ares from RSB a lot more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real small request. Would it be possible for your Saturn APS to have an engine transform for ullage, while having the RCS transforms still for the other 3 directions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2016 at 3:25 PM, StoryMusgrave said:

Real small request. Would it be possible for your Saturn APS to have an engine transform for ullage, while having the RCS transforms still for the other 3 directions?

 

Do you mean just the transform (so it can be referenced with custom MM configs), or also include the engine config by default? Either way would be fairly straightforward to add.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, NecroBones said:

 

Do you mean just the transform (so it can be referenced with custom MM configs), or also include the engine config by default? Either way would be fairly straightforward to add.

 

Honestly, that's up to you, the transform needs changed regardless, and it's not tough to add the engine config. Being that if the transform is changed a config change is required to get the same result as before. IRL 3 of the 4 are TRW TR-204s (150lbf) with the ullage being a 72lbf engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 7:54 PM, pap1723 said:

Real Scale Boosters is officially supported by the Historical Progression Tech Tree!

Awesome! Thanks for the head's up! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

What files do I need to remove (or keep) if I only want the launch tower?

You could remove everything in the "Parts" folder except for "LaunchClamps". It's not sharing any textures or models on those, outside of that folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few rocket suggestions, which I know you probably can't or won't make, but I'm going to suggest anyway...

The Titan family, e.g. Titan II, Titan III, Titan IV etc. (I want the SRB's mainly, for making more unbuilt Saturn V Variants)

Ariane IV (It was the workhorse of commercial satellite launches for a long time)

Ares V (We already have the Ares I, so why not add the Ares V)

More DIRECT Parts (The upper stage, mainly)

Pegasus (It's a freakin' air launched rocket, we need it badly...)

Shuttle-C Parts (To put the STS Stack to actual use)

Yeah, please at least consider adding these, I think everyone would love them. I understand if you can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2016 at 4:02 PM, KSPNerd said:

Yeah, please at least consider adding these, I think everyone would love them. I understand if you can't.

 

Cool, yeah, I'll keep some of them in mind. I'm not sure when I'll add new rockets yet. It's kinda time-consuming, and I get obsessed with it, so I've been enjoying a little break. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NecroBones said:

 

Cool, yeah, I'll keep some of them in mind. I'm not sure when I'll add new rockets yet. It's kinda time-consuming, and I get obsessed with it, so I've been enjoying a little break. :)

 

Well, when the obsession comes back, a few large scale boosters have been announced recently, with enough detail that a KSP model would be plausible: Blue Origin's New Glenn and the SpaceX ITS (formerly BFR/BFS).   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.