NecroBones

[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

Recommended Posts

 

The good news is that RSB's tank capacities with the stock fuels are based on mass, not KSP's standard fuel densities. So the "100%" thing isn't too far off. Of course it doesn't have boil-off or anything like that, but since it's based on real world fuel mass capacities and ISPs, the performance will be pretty close to the real world counterparts. The exception to this is if you use the "RSB Stockalike" patches, which rescale the parts to a smaller size, and then base the fuel capacities off of the new size and KSP's fuel densities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, delta wee said:

It makes the engine attach to the top of the tank above it, inside the tank.

Oh, that's how engines (and stages) attach in RSB. Due to some KSP quirks regarding the strength of the attachment nodes and the size of the RSB parts it was much better to make the actual stages be the attachment points than using the engines (like in stock).

There was a small discussion about that in the last two pages or so of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, delta wee said:

Using the Alt key doesn't seem to work. It makes the engine attach to the top of the tank above it, inside the tank.

Make sure you use the appropriate interstage/decoupler. The engines attach to the stage, and there's an interstage decoupler that covers them and allows you to connect the lower stage. This is more realistic to how the rockets work in the real life, plus as @Phineas Freak mentioned, there are node-stickiness issues with having engines and decouplers at similar lengths, plus there are many rocket designs that don't use a center engine (such as the 2x RL10 arrangement on the Centaur Atlas upper stages), so it was best to use a design that works universally for this pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm doing now is first attaching the decoupler to the bottom of the tank, and then attaching the engine to the bottom of the tank by inserting it into the decoupler from the bottom. I can't get the engine to snap to the center of the tank this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, delta wee said:

What I'm doing now is first attaching the decoupler to the bottom of the tank, and then attaching the engine to the bottom of the tank by inserting it into the decoupler from the bottom. I can't get the engine to snap to the center of the tank this way.

 

Yeah, I'd put all of the engines on first, and then snap the decoupler on. As long as you're using the right decoupler, it should pop right on without too much trouble, and it keeps you from having to reach up from underneath to stick engines inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just installed this for the first time in a while and I'm wondering why all my stages in the VAB are separated out. Is there any way to fix this?mkjZaA9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AstroZach said:

So I just installed this for the first time in a while and I'm wondering why all my stages in the VAB are separated out. Is there any way to fix this?

You installed the stock scale MM patches (to make the parts, well, stock scaled instead of real scale) but are trying to use the real scale craft files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AstroZach said:

So I just installed this for the first time in a while and I'm wondering why all my stages in the VAB are separated out. Is there any way to fix this?

 

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

You installed the stock scale MM patches (to make the parts, well, stock scaled instead of real scale) but are trying to use the real scale craft files.

 

Yep, if you're using the Stockalike patches, there should be a second set of sample rockets in there with "RSBstock" in the titles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

 

Yep, if you're using the Stockalike patches, there should be a second set of sample rockets in there with "RSBstock" in the titles.

 

and if i want to use just the normal Real Boosters with Real Solar System?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AstroZach said:

and if i want to use just the normal Real Boosters with Real Solar System?

 

In that case, you would use RSB without the stockalike patches, and use the normal "RSB" sample rockets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NecroBones said:

 

In that case, you would use RSB without the stockalike patches, and use the normal "RSB" sample rockets.

 

Thank you. Sorry, I've been trying to get RSS working for years and finally got it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I view the Delta IV Cryogenic Second Stage in the VAB it's saying that it has a capacity of only 104L. Some of the RSB tanks have appropriate volumes, but others have too small a volume.

BNHiu6w.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get RSB and Real Fuels to work together, but I just cant find anything on how to get them to play nice. Sorry if I'm just too stupid to figure this out, but any help is appreciated, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2017 at 0:20 PM, Mtshaw113 said:

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get RSB and Real Fuels to work together, but I just cant find anything on how to get them to play nice. Sorry if I'm just too stupid to figure this out, but any help is appreciated, thanks!

If you are using KSP 1.2 I don't think RSB is officially supported with Real Fuels yet. I was able to get it to work for a few engines by manually creating a Stockalike_RealScaleBoosters.cfg file in my "GameData\RealFuels-Stockalike" folder. 

Here's a link to the contents of my Stockalike_RealScaleBoosters.cfg file. These configs are only for the J2, SSME, and RL10B-2 engines.

http://pastebin.com/YxjzuMGK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2017 at 5:03 PM, delta wee said:

If you are using KSP 1.2 I don't think RSB is officially supported with Real Fuels yet. I was able to get it to work for a few engines by manually creating a Stockalike_RealScaleBoosters.cfg file in my "GameData\RealFuels-Stockalike" folder. 

Here's a link to the contents of my Stockalike_RealScaleBoosters.cfg file. These configs are only for the J2, SSME, and RL10B-2 engines.

http://pastebin.com/YxjzuMGK

Now is this with the RSB Stockalike patch thing? I was wanting to use RSB with RSS (and maybe once RO comes out)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mtshaw113 said:

Now is this with the RSB Stockalike patch thing? I was wanting to use RSB with RSS (and maybe once RO comes out)

This is with the RealFuels Stockalike configs, which works with RSS for me at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Using RSB's Stockalike patches, and trying to mix that with RF and RSS is probably not the best idea. :) RSB is designed to be realistically scaled by default (including correct fuel mass for various types of fuels/tanks, even though it uses stock fuels), and then the Stockalike patches scale it down for use with a normal-scale KSP game. As far as I know, RF doesn't have support for RSB, either with or without the Stockalike scaling. RO added its own support for RSB, so I'm hoping that could be used as a basis for RF at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you could crank up the dry masses or something, like shift the ISPs down or decrease the fuel mass? Plenty of levers to pull in modifying the existing RO RealFuel patches to use outside of RSS.

 

@Mtshaw113, there are already some RO configs for the RSB parts, I remember testing and accepting a few of them myself!

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/RealScaleBoosters

Currently RO doesn't have an official release for KSP 1.2.2, in part because some of the prerequisites we rely on don't have official releases (but do have beta releases) and also because NathanKell has been away, and we prefer to have some of his input before a release if we can. :)

If you want to try out the existing RSB configs for RO, feel free to do so. I find that learning to make or alter configs for things is best started by using already configured things, and looking at the code for those parts to see how it translates into what you see in game.

 

RO has a new forum OP now, since the forum ate the old one. Here it is thanks to Theysen:

If you want to try RO in 1.2.2, you might be able to assemble a manual install of all the prerequisites for RO like us RO testers/developers have, just don't expect any support in getting there. :P

We have a list of the pre-reqs and I added some links to 1.2 compatible versions of them, so we could keep track of what has updated and what hasn't, what we've tested and found good and what we haven't.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/1436

The RO group s always interested in someone interested in learning to make configs, since that is the only way that new parts end up configured for RealFuels and RO after all. Currently, I've only got time to keep a few favourites of mine working as well as I can, like FASA, and reviewing/testing other people's RO contributions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2017 at 6:08 PM, Jacksonion said:

I mounted skylab on the top of the saturn v rocket

 

 

Dang, that looks awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NecroBones said:

 

Dang, that looks awesome!

It had some weight issues trying to get it out of the atmosphere it would usally tip when trieing to make a orbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NecroBones said:

 

Dang, that looks awesome!

Hey i was going to ask if you have any free time can you help me with something i dont know how to land on planets?, and all the tutorials dont help at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @NecroBones!

I love these launchers. I am building a new career save and I will be running it in Quarter Sized RSS (2.5x scale of Kerbin). My question is about the RSB Stock Configs. Are they based on only stock sized planets, or are they built for a bigger planet like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 9:32 PM, Jacksonion said:

Hey i was going to ask if you have any free time can you help me with something i dont know how to land on planets?, and all the tutorials dont help at all!

 

Oh man, I haven't even had the time for working on the mods lately. There are sections here on the forum for getting help though, and lots of great advice out there.

 

1 hour ago, pap1723 said:

Hey @NecroBones!

I love these launchers. I am building a new career save and I will be running it in Quarter Sized RSS (2.5x scale of Kerbin). My question is about the RSB Stock Configs. Are they based on only stock sized planets, or are they built for a bigger planet like this?

 

They're based on the stock parts, actually. Here's how the breakdown works:

 

By default, RSB uses real-world mass, ISP, and sizes for everything, even though it's using the stock fuels. It just packs the right amount of those fuels to give it real-world performance, and ignores the stock game's normal fuel densities.

 

When you add the stock-alike configs, it rescales everything into standard stock diameters, and then changes the fuel amounts to match the stock densities. That is, the fuel capacity is what you would expect if you used stock tanks of the same size. The engines are given mass and thrust values, as multiples of existing stock engines with similar roles.

 

So what that means is that the RSB Stock numbers aren't designed with a particular planet size in mind, but rather they cooperate with the stock parts in intuitive ways, so that they can be mixed and matched meaningfully. If the stock parts are useful in the scale you're working in, then RSB Stock will work too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might I suggest the New Glenn?

No one had done it yet, and it would be easy to add in the Vulcan afterwards because they both share the BE-4 engine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.