[1.2] CorrectCoL v1.4.4 - stock aerodynamics design aid

Boris-Barboris

yLSfmvk.png

Download and source (MIT license):

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/CorrectCoL/releases

https://spacedock.info/mod/789/CorrectCoL

Stockalike CoL indicator for stock Aerodynamics, accounts not only for ILiftProviders. Please, don't try it with FAR (mod disables itself if FAR is found).

Simple static stability analysis:

oYei22M.png

Most graphs are torque-AoA relations:

green graph - current fuel levels.
yellow graph - emptyed fuel tanks.

Exceptions:
blue graph - pitch L/D ratio (wet).
blue vertical line - level flight AoA (wet).

aoa range - AoA and sideslip range to plot, degrees.
aoa marks - horizontal axis marks step, degrees.
aoa compress -  zero for 1:1 AoA axis, positive for quadratic compression. Helps to focus on important stuff near zero AoA while not loosing large-AoA behaviour.
speed - speed towards root part nose direction, m/s. Enter negative values to analyze retrograde stability.
altitude - meters above sea level.

Four simplistic and quite stupid trait labels, may sometimes fool you.

Be careful with launch clamps, they are accounted for too. Also, move your craft by the root part a little after loading to ensure correct results for graph (strange API stuff).

Edited by Boris-Barboris

10 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

What's it do different?

Stock CoL indicator only accounts for stuff like wings, control surfaces and plane (mk2, mk3) fusalage parts. Most of the time, it's enough to eyeball stability, but sometimes it's not. Strap up Mk1 cockpit + a couple of cylindrical LF tanks in stock editor, no wings, nothing more, look at CoL. Then compare to modded.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

Just now, Stone Blue said:

where stock only looks at parts that are supposedly "designed" to provide lift

Their full description panel (right-click on part icon) contains things like LiftingSurface or ControlSurface with parameters like LiftRating etc.

This is definetly neat. One probable issue though, how come there's a tilt with the same craft in both editors?

Edit: I looked at the stock crafts and those are fine, but when I remove all lifting surfaces, that tilt appears. Is it supposed to do that?

Edited by smjjames

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

how come there's a tilt with the same craft in both editors?

Tilt is from increased AoA offset from stock 1 degree to 5, so it's okay to be more tilted.
Imagine, that SPH and VAB is an aerodynamic tube, like on a pic:

aoa_demo1.jpg

aoa_demo2.jpg

alpha-zero is 3 degrees now, redownload zip from github (shamefully replaced it), if you want 3. Fixed bug with ModuleLiftingSurfaces, only true lift component from them is now taken (orthogonal to airstream).

Edited by Boris-Barboris

28 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Um, the latest release (1.0) isn't compiled and I don't know how to compile it.

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/CorrectCoL/releases

Sorry, misclicked and created a draft instead of public release.

19 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Does this mod work with parts from mods? And is it compatibile with FAR?

Should be fine with most mods. FAR: not compatible, latest build disables itself to not interfere with FAR. Besides, you don't need it with FAR, it has it's own indicator.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

really good mod :wink:

thank you!

some ideas of suggest:

add some sliders, </> or  -/+ buttons aside the textbox for the speed and altitude, for watching faster what could happen during a flight.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would love to use a mod like this to help me build better planes and such, but... I'm an idiot, and have no idea how to read a graph like this. it's all meaningless gibberish to me. :(:( 

Hello

Usefulll mod but I have an issue in the VAB: The direction of the COL is always perpendicular whatever you build.

COL direction is ok (down) when mod is removed.

Look this pic: COL is above COM, because we have a big tank you don't see under the lander, but the direction is not good....

441561screenshot92.png

Edited by gilflo