[1.2] CorrectCoL v1.4.4 - stock aerodynamics design aid

Boris-Barboris

This mod is fantastic! Thank you so much for this Boris-Barboris!

One improvement I'd like to see is an option to automatically update the graph every second or so, so I can watch it while I'm fine tuning placement of a part without having to keep clicking it.

Edited by Uncle Greggles

• 1 month later...

I've just tested it in the 1.2.2.1622 (x64) and it seems to work as intended. 

I absolutly don't understand why they didn't add this to the stock version (without the graph part of course). It doesn't modify the game's physic. It just shows the true CoL. I think this mod should be more famous...

Maybe the ones who are in that kind of comprenhension of KSP's physic would prefer to go to F.A.R. Which is way more realistic but not nice for the ones who want to stay as close to "vanilla" as they can. 

Edited by Nounours2627
Complete my thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

This has taken alot of the trial and error out of SSTO design! Thanks so much!  The only fault I could find is the axis's of the graph aren't labeled.  It's quite confusing to begin with.  It'd be alot less confusing if the markers on the X axis indicating pitch -20, -10, 0, 10, 20 etc. or whatever current scale is.  Labeling the Y axis would be nice as well but obviously you'd need 3 scales for the three lines.  Either way, thanks for this!

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, smokytehbear said:

Any chance of getting this on CKAN for the latest version? Looks amazingly helpful.

23 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Little chance. Maybe @Kobymaru will be kind though...

It should be that simple. After this PR is merged, the CKAN fairy bots should pick it up in a night or two, and you should be able to see it.

In fact, depending on how impatient you are, you can already install it. In CKAN, go to

Settings -> Compatible KSP versions -> READ THE RED TEXT. UNDERSTAND THE RED TEXT.

Warning! There is no way to check if mod is trully compatible with versions selected here! Please act carefully.

-> Select 1.2 -> Click Save

Then it should be visible under the "Compatible" filter.

Edited by Kobymaru

i already sent a PR with everything needed, but actually the release don't include them, so people will never be warned of an update via KSP-AVC (and CKAN) @Kobymaru :P
so what to do?
1)Update with a correct KSP version(1.2.2) and include the CorrectCoL.version (this one go in each mod install) in  a new release in github and spacedock with it (don't forget to update KSP compatible version on spacedock too).
2) when there will be the next KSP releases , you can only update the  CorrectCoL_KSP-AVC (this one stay on github) and update  KSP version in spacedock too without reuploading a new release. CKAN is checking spacedock Game Version in my mod ( which is a perfect example of this situation) even if i have an outdated KSP version inside the mod.version

Edited by Skalou

17 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

After this PR is merged, the CKAN fairy bots should pick it up in a night or two, and you should be able to see it.

Damn, I remembered now: CKAN fairy bots only pick up releases - not random changes on the master branch. So you'll have to wait until Boris-Barboris releases a new version.

15 hours ago, Skalou said:

1)Update with a correct KSP version(1.2.2) and include the CorrectCoL.version (this one go in each mod install) in  a new release in github and spacedock with it (don't forget to update KSP compatible version on spacedock too).

This is what my PR did, I bumped the version to 1.2.99. After a new release, CKAN should pick it up automatically because the Metadata in NetKAN is already there.

15 hours ago, Skalou said:

2) when there will be the next KSP releases , you can only update the  CorrectCoL_KSP-AVC (this one stay on github) and update  KSP version in spacedock too without reuploading a new release.

What exactly does that do? How does this work?

Edited by Kobymaru

8 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

This is what my PR did, I bumped the version to 1.2.99. After a new release, CKAN should pick it up automatically because the Metadata in NetKAN is already there.

Are you sure?
https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/blob/master/NetKAN/CorrectCoL.netkan

I'm not sur to totally unstand this, but i guess it only checks the game version on spacedock.

What exactly does that do? How does this work?

KSPAVC will check the CorrectCoL.version  (in each mod folder)  and compare it with the online CorrectCoL_KSP-AVC file to konow if an update is available, or check the compatibility version etc...

1 hour ago, Skalou said:

Are you sure?
https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/blob/master/NetKAN/CorrectCoL.netkan

I'm not sur to totally unstand this, but i guess it only checks the game version on spacedock.

Since it says  "$kref": "#/ckan/spacedock/789", you are right. It checks SpaceDock for new releases and it will get bumped in CKAN when there is a new release. I feel like this should be switched to whatever Boris-Barboris feels is the "main release channel" but that's just a matter of opinion and not relevant if the mods get uploaded to both SpaceDock and GitHub. 

1 hour ago, Skalou said:

KSPAVC will check the CorrectCoL.version  (in each mod folder)  and compare it with the online CorrectCoL_KSP-AVC file to konow if an update is available, or check the compatibility version etc...

Ok, I see. So it's separate from CKAN. However, CKAN uses the .version file inside a packaged release to determine compatible versions, if they are not explicitly specified in the .netkan file.

Hi! Great mod, but I've noticed an issue with its compatibility with B9 Procedural Wings

The CoL indicator only moves for certain tweaks. It seems to account for wing size and size and shape of leading and trailing edges correctly, but wing sweep (Offset) doesn't change it at all.

Any chance you can look into this?

Thanks!

Edit: On further investigation, it appears to be a problem with the wings themselves. The stock CoL indicator doesn't respond to Offset either, though stock CoM does. But in flight, Offset has huge impacts on flight characteristics. FAR's CoL indictor acts properly with these wings... but I doubt you could emulate that, since it's using voxelization to find the real aerodynamic center.

Edited by FirroSeranel

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

Offset has huge impacts on flight characteristics.

It doesn't. B9 wings v0.40.10 performance under stock aero does not change with sweep. Following b9 thing is stable:

h625aDZ.jpg

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

ince it's using voxelization to find the real aerodynamic center

Mostly for parts other than lifting surfaces, wich must respect FAR wing configuration guide and API. B9 proc wings do.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

18 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

It doesn't. B9 wings v0.40.10 performance under stock aero does not change with sweep. Following b9 thing is stable:

h625aDZ.jpg

Mostly for parts other than lifting surfaces, wich must respect FAR wing configuration guide and API. B9 proc wings do.

...well that's just silly.

The entire point of swept wings is to move CoL back further than would otherwise be possible. To have it do nothing at all is... ludicrous. I guess I'm not using B9 Procedural Wings anymore. :(

Do you happen to know if the other PWings mod behaves properly? Its on-the-fly shape modifications don't suit my OCD very well, but... sometimes I need to do something that stock wings can't handle very well.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, guitounet said:

Can you explain how to read graph ? I do not understand.

Yellow and green stuff goes down from left to right - you're stable. Stuff goes up - you're unstable.

Green - current fuel levels. Yellow - empty fuel tanks. Blue series - lift, mostly useless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28.3.2017 at 0:28 AM, Boris-Barboris said:

Yellow and green stuff goes down from left to right - you're stable. Stuff goes up - you're unstable.

Green - current fuel levels. Yellow - empty fuel tanks. Blue series - lift, mostly useless.

Okay.

I too would love some further explanation on that^^

The correct CoL is really neat but I just disturbs me that I can't really tell whats going on in this window. I mean how can I act the nerdy rocketscientist to my friends if I have to say "well uh errm left top to right bottom is good, don't bother with the blue stuff" when they ask me what the kerbal is going on in this window?

I want to understand :D

3 hours ago, maculator said:

I too would love some further explanation on that^^

Stable airframe rotational dynamics is essentially
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

You need negative coefficient before displacement - slope down.

Just google torque, draw a plane that is piitched up to 5 degrees AoA and think, what will happend if torque is positive or negative. Mod draws torque(AoA) function.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

So left to right is time and up to down is negativ to positiv? And the graphs schoul look like what? Close together, same curve, don't touch? I really like this mod and I want to understand, the wikipeia link is really confusing for someone who has no idea about that stuff :/ Can you maybe just say a few eyplaining words?

Just now, maculator said:

So left to right is time and up to down is negativ to positiv? And the graphs schoul look like what? Close together, same curve, don't touch? I really like this mod and I want to understand, the wikipeia link is really confusing for someone who has no idea about that stuff :/ Can you maybe just say a few eyplaining words?

Left to right is angle of attack. Yellow and green graphs should be sloped down, as close to each other as possible. Newtonian mechanics are highly recommended for those, who want to act like nerdy rocketscientists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I think I didn't understand how this exactly works. Can you tell me what's wrong with this very simple rocket?

According to the mod, this should be stable. In reality it's anything but stable. Pitch and Yaw are extremely not stable (sometimes it goes all the way to aiming downwards).

Thanks in advance :D really nice mod idea btw