How did you come to get your screen name?

hpearson

When I played World of Warcraft I wanted the shortest name possible. I always thought it looked cool to have a 3-4 character name (for whatever reason..). Since WoW is obviously pretty popular there wasn't a lot of combinations which both looked sort of like a name (so not like zxzx or xzcc or whatever), and was no more than 4 characters. I landed on Zuq and Zuqq. I find Zuq is sometimes taken or certain forums/games require a minimum of 4 characters so I settled with Zuqq. And now it's been like 7 or 8 years! Time flies.

I got my screen name a long time ago

when i was first starting in an online game i had to pick my screen name,so i wanted something cool sounding

so i thought hey what about diamond claw but when i typed it in it was to late before i realized i spelled it wrong

so my screen name has been diomondclaw for every single game i've been on because no one uses it...

so if you see the name diomondclaw on a online game it just might be me,or maybe not depending on what game it is :wink:

there's more to this story but i didn't want to tell it all.

I was in an astronomy class, analyzing spectral photographs of stars, and especially one object-- a supernova. The pictures were not the best, because the object was pretty dim, and the telescope not the best, plus some of them were in colour and others were not. I was trying to remove the background galactic spectrum from the supernova's to better see what was there, and there was no clear way to do it with the software and raw material I had available. So I kept making test images, doing weird stacking/alignment/subtraction tricks.

One attempt feature the cutting of an image into many slices, and trying to stack those. That image, a combination of 'new' and 'test', was called newt (made of newt1, newt 2 et cetera). Since then I have been using the name Newt in quite a few places. Alas, it was not till a later newt image that it actually worked.

Was in Air Warrior ages ago (90s), and had to come up with a name. Used "spud" since I figured I'd fly about as well as one. Was on a lot as my girlfriend (now wife) was in med school. The guys would say "later, tater" when I'd log for the night. Spud was taken in Warbirds, and I started using tater online.

I was reading an astronomy textbook looking for a screen name (I suck at coming up with names :blush:) for another forum, and I came across the term. I liked the way it sounded, and the fact that regolith is basically rocky dirt was ironically amusing to me for some reason (...wait, does that mean I'm a hipster? Dammit!).

Back in the 90s I needed a new nick. I decided to go for the "old school* gamer" sound.* To play "hunt the wumpus" you would type the program in from something like "BASIC computer games", port it to your own computer (my Atari 400 had a slightly non-standard BASIC), and write the code for any graphics you want to add.

'SkullCollector' arose from a more or less gradual evolution. Used to be called Chris on-screen (later became my author's alias), added Skull when I stopped playing Hidden & Dangerous 2 back in the day, and from ChrisSkull came ChrisSkullFace. SkullFace was too generic (like the others weren't, eh?), so SkullCollector it was. Have had it for about five years now, and that one will definitely stick.

A couple of months later I googled it and found a rather brutal-sounding Death Metal band with the same name. Fun coincidence, so I plagiarised their logo for my avatar for a while.

9566_logo.jpg
Edited by SkullCollector

Oh, boy, here we go.

So, about six years ago my friends and I drew a whole lot of random creatures after school. (I've still got all of mine... :halfhappy: ) I had a tendency to draw dragons or something of the like (Hence the avatar), and one of the "species" was called a starwhip.

Jeez, that felt awkward, but I had to get it out of me.

One day, I wanted to play Minecraft. So I bought the game, and that then charged me with the task of finding a screen name. I tried Builder59, but that was taken. I still wanted a name with 9 in it and also apparently weather came into my mind at that moment. It then branched into rain and the sky. And since up is the direction of the sky, and raining upwards is an odd occurrence, my screen name became rainup9.

Fast foreward a few months, and I simplified it to RAINCRAFTER.

For the longest time, I went by "Torg" which was a shortening of my last name. Then, for a less-long time, I went for Torg9776 for the years of birth for both me and my dad, and then eventually I shortened it to a lengthening of my first name, Max, and stuck on my birth year to come up with Maximus97 :sticktongue:

Interesting factoid- I messed up my dad's birth year when I first used the "9776." He was actually born in '75 *facepalm*

So, way back in the mists of time, there were video arcades. While wasting many youthful hours (and quarters) I found one game I really liked. It was called Starhawk, of course, and an image from that game is my avatar. (Black and white vector graphics. Do I ever feel old!)

It became my favourite gaming handle, and I've used it off and on ever since.

This may sound weird but...... lol

My nick was made around when I was hmmm..... about 14?...

So I live in Portugal, and my real name is Carlos. When I started to play on computers (before that I got the good old ZX Spectrum - kids don't ask! Amazing games on a tape recorder :P yea I am old fart 43 years old :P ) I needed a nick to use in many racing games that me and a friend were always competing with each other.

So, for style I changed the C for a K and started to sign on the with the name Karlos.

Later, in the old video game saloons, most racing machines only allowed 3 characters on the recorde lists, so, I had to abbreviate and then Kar was born.

Sometimes I use the name like Kar351, 351, be the International number of Portugal. When I play some games or when I register somewhere like forums or so, I always try for Kar, if not, Kar351 is always available.

Here I'm Kar.

I also got so used to the name, that for the last 15 years it has be my name in a StarTrek Clan. Everyone knows Kar. Now playing StarTrek Online. It is funny while on Ventrilo talking, people talk to me using my name like they know me for life. Kar is so natural to ear, like my real name.

:cool:

Edited by Kar

Its a long story.

I was really into the show Mythbusters (and still am, even though they took it off Netflix and started their own streaming service). I was watching the episodes and came across one where the mentioned the radioactive Cobalt 60. They tested this on cockroaches etc., but I thought "Cobalt 60" sounded really cool. I used Cobalt60 as my username on a typing racecar game and it stuck. To this day, Cobalt is my favorite element, apart from lithium.

• 1 month later...

Well, when I made my first Xbox Live account, it gave me the account name CalmestLlama89 or something like that. After it got hacked, I switched it around into KarmaLlarma- Karma because I really, really like the idea of poetic justice and such, and Llama because- well, I really like llamas. The "r" is Llarma is just so that it's a little bit unique, and nobody else has thought of it. Hopefully. I inadvertently spelled Llarma with only one L because... well. Yeah.

Your move, person below me!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.