How did you come to get your screen name?

hpearson

Showing my age but when I was a kid we had pinball machines and space invaders at the milk bar, there were no PCs and they only took three characters so my initials are JPL. And no that doesn't stand for Jet Propulsion Labs but in KSP I like to think so. Then a brilliant movie called Repo Man came out. So I combined the two.

Incorrect spelling of Scirocco/Sirocco. I was young and didn't know better :P

Also, the Sirocco is a mediterranean wind that blows from africa across the mediterranean see and into Europe. The name does NOT come from the damn Volkswagen car! (i've heard that too friggin often :P)

It's a long story…

…actually it's not. I got diabetes when I was 17, and thus have to poke myself several times every day to remain in a…not-dead state. I could mope about it or make light of the situation, and I chose the latter.

So I picked "pincushionman" as my AIM screen name (do you kids even know what that is anymore?!) in college, and it's been my go-to "anonymous" handle ever since. I say "go-to" because I can't always get it anymore on new services - it's my Steam handle, but by the time I started Minecraft it was taken and I had to go with PCM_Dan (pincushionman -> pcm) instead.

And while it's still my preferred handle for gaming, I'm finding I'm signing up for a lot more stuff under my real name - I'm getting tired of the anonymity thing and keeping track of a bunch of odd screen names, login names, and the like is getting reeeeeal old.

• 2 weeks later...

Most (read: damn near all) people incorrectly assume that my screen name comes from marijuana–related affairs.

But it's actually from watching copper burn in my high school freshman science class. No seriously:

The 32 is just a random number. No significance there.

I've never touched drugs in my life. Stay cool kids.

I got mine when I started high school...it is actually writen (and pronounced) ÄŒuki here in Croatia.

Guys at my class started calling me ÄŒuki because my last name (ÄŒule) was too long for them. So it was just few of them, then whole class, than guys from other classes and by the end of my 4th and final year at high school even teachers were calling me like that.

At university it wasn't too long until it caught up too. Most people even can't remember my real name even though some of them know me for more than 10 years. You can imagine how weird it must be for me when someone calls me by my name...most of the time I don't even notice that they are talking to me.

So yeah, I use this name wherever it isn't used by somebody else...I use variations of it when it is not available, like Cukyman for example.

Nice story Ck ;) got one kinda like that too "Selfy Pathkeeper since" 1999 ... i used a few declination since (like selfhi,selfie,selfhy and etc) ... how to say a nickname that tend to stick more than i would like too ; ) and then bored with that nick and decided to switch for W.A.K.' here as a kerbal wink.

Aside that my old crew usually just call me "W".

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
V\^^/V

• 1 month later...

Well, I got mine when I was Tattooing back in 1992. The one biker said I had this Sinister look on my face while I was tattooing, like I liked to give people pain, so he started calling me Sinister, and well, it caught on and everyone started calling me that. So I go by Sinister or Mr. Sinister

Mine was just one I use on this other forum about RC helicopters which is my main hobby. Being a flight nut I chose LN, the code for Norwegian aircrafts and 400 which was the class/size of my first proper model.

My handle was the surname for my first D&D character from back in high school. First character I had played that really took off and lasted a long time, like 4-5 different campaigns before he finally died. I think I pulled the name from a character in an old Japanese SNES rpg game, but I can't remember which one. I've probably been using the name as a handle for about 12 years now.

I was trying to think up a username for ps3, (long before I moved to PC) and I looked online and a suggestion was to pick a food, and an animal. Thus, the legacy of CheesySquid began. It has taken many forms, be they SirCheesySquid, or TheCheesySquid, or DatCheesySquid, but CheesySquid has remained nonetheless.

Well, one day I was playing Portal 2. In the elevator room at the start of a level in chapter 1 or 2 a voice said something like, "If the world is currently governed by a form of animal king or semiacloud, god help you." I just thought that was how it was spelled and it is now my screen name.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the glory days of RuneScape, my brother convined me that it was so awesome and I had to play. I randomly came up with RJ. Still have no idea where that came from. My brother's is King-8_8 so I had to do one better with Rj 9 9. Eventually, I started using 55hi when both Rj99 and Rj995 came up used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.