Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

@bncrock

Those motherboards kinda destroy my budget.

I am aiming for ~ $1000 aud

I'm not a hardcore gamer and generally don't play fps games due to motion sickness becoming more common as I get older (I'm not that old, but I can't play the same games that I did in my 20's).

how about a z170p?

1 hour ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

@bncrock

I'm not a hardcore gamer and generally don't play fps games due to motion sickness becoming more common as I get older (I'm not that old, but I can't play the same games that I did in my 20's).

how about a z170p?

You don't need a expensive motherboard. Just aim for one that you can afford wich has enough USB / PCI-e slots and a socket that fits your CPU.

Speed comes from the CPU / GPU and the ram. Not the motherboard.

Edit: And look at things like "Asus PRO GAMING or Asrock EXTREME bla bla. These words are just marketing tricks. Even a 50$ motherboard can be pretty damn good.

Edited by Lifeforce87

1 minute ago, Lifeforce87 said:

You don't need a expensive motherboard. Just aim for one that you can afford wich has enough USB / PCI-e slots and a socket that fits your CPU.

Speed comes from the CPU / GPU and the ram. Not the motherboard.

Sweet, just wanted a basic overclock facility, nothing too fancy.

I'll be sticking with my GPU as its still pretty decent and way more than KSP demands.

19 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I still do, but I don't run it hard continuously. It should last longer than I need it to, since I tend to upgrade about once every 3 years or so.

I used to be like you... then Intel failed to produce any meaningful upgrades since Sandy Bridge. Now I coddle my 2500K under water cooling.

On 13/03/2016 at 8:31 PM, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Where do you think my bottleneck is?

e8500 @ 3.16ghz

8gb 800mhz ram 

gtx650 2gb

I think you're just plain out of date, tbh. CPU architectures are significantly (~40%) faster clock for clock vs that generation, and most i5s will clock up to 4.5GHz or so, meaning they're nearly twice as fast. The graphics card is probably a fair balance for the CPU you have, but between them they're just plain old and slow ^^;  You're also dual core limited - while this may not mean much for current KSP, the new Unity 5 version (1.1) may make better use of cores, and quads may really shine.

In your place, I would look for an i5 6600K, 32gb ddr4, a basic Z170 motherboard (specific chipset required to enable overclocking the CPU, but you can get a fairly cheap one) and an nVidia 960. Probably deliver the best KSP performance on the lowest budget :) 

Edited by eddiew

8 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

@bncrock

how about a z170p?

It isn't bad, but what are you trying to do?  $1000AUD isn't much for a complete system replacement.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 10 year upgrade schedule going on *forever*.  I know I had a celery based machine (originally a 300A, then 566) that I re-named "Methuselah" due to just how long it lasted, but until the last 10 years, that type of thing was pretty uncommon.  Note that everything that follows assumes you don't have a notebook or otherwise unexpandable item.

Typically, you get your biggest gains by replacing the GPU (luckily I'm pretty sure you have a PCI-e bus, that was always an annoyance on late upgrades), but depends a lot on if your non-fps games and whatnot require a GPU (anything that didn't come from phones pretty much uses 3d.  I think Civilization switched to 3d 10 years ago).  GPUs tend to progress whether CPUs do or not.

Is your memory full?  Hopefully it is DDR3 and you can fill it up the motherboard cheap.  Programmers typically have insane rigs and can't understand why their software slows down on older machines.

SSDs are said to be the biggest upgrade money can buy (and they don't have to hold *everything*, just your most important stuff).  Basically, it means you never have to wait for the hard drive (unless one of those windows dialogs pops up and windows (or possibly KDE/Gnome) insists on waiting for all drives to spin up).  Note that for sufficiently slow computers (i.e. my father's laptop, after clicking on *every* piece of mail that comes his way), you might not see a difference.

One upgrade that can't go wrong is the screen.  Of course, if you old screen is good enough, then don't bother (because it won't go wrong either, unless it isn't LED).  Screen prices seem to keep falling, and since any time spent on the computer involves looking at the screen it is a no-brainer upgrade.  Look for LED backlighting to maintain your 10+ year upgrade schedule (I've worked in repair and the only thing I've seen go wrong with LCD panels are flourecent lighting and the inverters that power them).  Note that my old college sells (sold?  webpage is much less helpful now) surplus LCD panels ultra cheap (LED becomes more important.  Check on phone if possible).  While such things tend to be smaller than current panels, you could easily buy three for the price of one current monitor and get a lot more real estate (not sure if it works with KSP).

Note I haven't mentioned the motherboard/CPU yet.  Largely because I am underwhelmed by modern CPUs vs. 2007 CPUs, at least in comparison for 1997-2007 CPUs, or 2016 GPUs vs. 2007 GPUs etc.  Once 1.1 comes out and it becomes obvious how well it works with a lot of cores, I'd still hesitate in replacing a 2007 CPU until all my other parts are modern as well.

Favorite links:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/  (it might be hard to figure out where your CPU/motherboard fits in here, but it would likely be worth it).

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/ (can't vouch for the internationalization, but it appears to work).

I am planning to save some money to build myself a smashing new PC, and finally move from my dated laptop.I've saved around 750 bucks.And surprisingly, this is what i've managed to put together:

Intel Core i7-2600K - 220$ - From what i know, KSP is a very CPU-dependent game.Intel was obviously my first choice.Plus i needed that extra power for the near future when i start recording and possibly streaming KSP.

CM H212 EVO - 29$ - Nuthin special.Just need to keep my CPU cool enough during rendering and gaming.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 - 95$ - I just needed a mobo that fitted my CPU.That's it.

2X8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz - 95$ - Added extra 8GB for all that good stuff, also for 64-bit KSP.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  44$ - Don't need that much space. Just KSP, Minecraft, my recording & editing software and recordings.

MSI GTX 760 HAWK LE - 147$ - Since KSP in my eyes thrives more from CPU and RAM power than GPU power, i don't need much, visual packs neglected.

Xigmatek Mach Midtower - 29$ - I just need a container to store my components.

Corsair CX600M - 73$ - Since semi-decent power supplies are a premium in Croatia, i went with what i can get.

TOTAL: 732$

I know, most of these are outdated parts.But, i'm not that Skylake-hungry.But still, that's only 750 bucks! It's amazing how prices have gone down over the years.I found all these parts through an Ebay-ish sort of site called Njuškalo.It's basically the Croatian Ebay.I converted these prices from HRK to US dollars.I know, some of them seem outrageous, but in Croatia, they are regular selling price.

@eddiew

It'll most likely be a 6700k (they're the same price as the 4790k at the moment in Oz).

Shooting for 32GB of DDR4 too.

Will be keeping the same old video card though, even my laptop's GT220M can handle stock on full settings (the CPU can't keep up though).

My old beast used to have a c2q, but I found a faster CPU cheap (hence the dual cores on the current build).

@wumpus

Yep, I know $1000 isn't much for a full build.

I actually found a couple of PC builders on Ebay that can supply a full 6700k machine for a little over a grand.
Granted they're not using top of the line parts, and they use onboard graphics, but they'd leave my c2d in the dirt.
Heck even the i3 system I had built for my father in law runs circles around my machine and it was only  $400 all up (I already had a family licence for win7).

Basically all I'm after is CPU, Cooler, Mobo & Ram.
I'd really like to upgrade the PSU to something nice like a Seasonic Snow Silent, but that will come later.

I'll be keeping the graphics card from my current machine.
I replaced the case last year with a Fractal Define r5 in the hopes to make my loud compute quieter (it did, but still not great as the fans have to run hard to keep it cool).
So that will come to the new build too.

KSP is maxing out my 8GB ram in Linux (it steadily fills up even without reverting, so I think there might be a memory leak in there somewhere. Mods or KSP I don't know).
Alas it is DDR2 so I have to take a hit on the wallet there. May as well move up to DDR4. But what speed?

A buddy of mine gave me a Samsung Evo 120GB SSD a while back and it did improve things significantly for KSP load times.
Not a heck of a lot of space on there though. 120GB fills up fast!

My LCD is ok, but the backlight is beginning to fail. It doesn't wake up from a short sleep and needs the PC to re-boot once its gone black.
Its a decent size too at 26" so I'm keeping $ aside to replace it eventually. I do have a spare 24" but I'd feel a bit mean stealing it from Mrs T.A.P.O.R. 

I just want a faster, quieter and cooler machine!

Here's what I've found under $1000 AUD

$515 - 6700K 
$128 - Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 
$218 - Asus Z170-K 
$129 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
Added potential parts list

Jeez i really hope i don't need to upgrade again lol :lol:

Currentley running this thing , have seen a best of 97fps an a worst of 37 lol . But thats with 50+ Mods all the grpahics maxed and every visual enhancement I can find .

i7 3770k @3.50ghz

Gigabyte Z77-HD3

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Crucial Vengence Ram

GeForce GTX 970 4gb

Hard drive is yer basic 7,200 rpm 2 tb thingy lol

Built this about 2 /3 years ago to max out FSX , an it still struggles sometimes , 10 + Year old flight sim , but it has a open ended hunger for anything you chuck at it .

3 hours ago, Radon86 said:

Intel Core i7-2600K - 220$ - From what i know, KSP is a very CPU-dependent game.Intel was obviously my first choice.Plus i needed that extra power for the near future when i start recording and possibly streaming KSP.

That's pretty ancient. You can get pretty much the same performance out of, say, an i5-6500 for less money and 33% less power consumption. You also won't be on a 5-year-old motherboard and CPU combo.

Not that I'm saying don't do it, just be aware that you're paying as much for that as you would for equivalent-speed newer hardware that has other advantages (the 33% less power consumption is not insignificant, unless you're counting on the computer to heat your house).

50 minutes ago, godefroi said:

That's pretty ancient. You can get pretty much the same performance out of, say, an i5-6500 for less money and 33% less power consumption. You also won't be on a 5-year-old motherboard and CPU combo.

Not that I'm saying don't do it, just be aware that you're paying as much for that as you would for equivalent-speed newer hardware that has other advantages (the 33% less power consumption is not insignificant, unless you're counting on the computer to heat your house).

This is fair. Many places that still have the older generations actually charge more for them....

1 hour ago, godefroi said:

But then again, the situation is similar to Canada when it comes to inflation.I mean, here is an example:

Core i7-2600K cost around 1500 HRK in Croatia,  but an i5-6500 cost twice as much! Madness, right?

1$ = 6,6 HRK

Edited by Candlelight

1 minute ago, Radon86 said:

Core i7-2600K cost around 1500 HRK in Croatia,  but an i5-6500 cost twice as much! Madness, right?

Yeah, that's crazy. I'm currently running an i5-2500K, and I don't suffer TOO much for it, so you should be OK.

@Radon86 I would really try to avoid going for a 2600K, unless there is really no option.

Basically it will be a bit harder to upgrade on the future, and if you face problems you will have a hard time finding compatible hardware like motherboards for that socket.

If you can, go at least for a 3rd gen, take a look at the 4th gen i5's, they shouldn't be that expensive.

Just installed my i7, simply threw it in, booted and installed drivers, I seriously need to format the PC and install my OS on my SSD.
Awesome results so far tho.

32 minutes ago, Basto said:

@Radon86

All I can say is be careful not to skimp on cooling as KSP will give your CPU a workout. I learned that lesson the hard way with my first build. Fans are cheap. 

Yah, that's the plan.

I have a fancy cooler now, but it's not silent. And it takes up a lot of room!

Anyway just passed another assignment. A little bit closer to getting my new rig!

39 minutes ago, Basto said:

@Radon86

All I can say is be careful not to skimp on cooling as KSP will give your CPU a workout. I learned that lesson the hard way with my first build. Fans are cheap. 

Would a Hyper 212 EVO be ok? Or do i need to consider liquid cooling?

Edited by Candlelight

2 minutes ago, Radon86 said:

Would a Hyper 212 EVO be ok? Or do i need to consider liquid cooling?

Personally I'm leaning toward an off the shelf liquid cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 

Its more expensive, but supposed to be pretty quiet. (max 27db)
I need a quiet PC. Mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

That said, the one you chose should be ok, though you will hear it (max 36db).

Having gone through a lot of supposedly quiet fans in my day, what it says on the box isn't quite what you get in reality.

Yeah I am sure that cooler will be fine but sometimes people forget about keeping good airflow in the case itself.  And like @T.A.P.O.R. says you will hear the fan spool up when the CPU gets busy. 

Also just because a GFX card is older that does not always mean it runs cooler. 

I probably go too far on cooling because of past experience, but like I said fans are cheap ;)

Usually newer hardware will run much cooler and quieter, at a higher power efficiency than old ones.

@Radon86 yes that i5 is good.

A K version should allow for overclocking if you plan to.

The hyper 212 evo is also good, it will be very quiet if you don't plan to overclock, and can keep up with a decent OC.

I'm running my i7 4790k on an h100 wc, wanna see how far I can push it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.