Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

19 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Personally I'm leaning toward an off the shelf liquid cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 

Its more expensive, but supposed to be pretty quiet. (max 27db)
I need a quiet PC. Mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

That said, the one you chose should be ok, though you will hear it (max 36db).

Having gone through a lot of supposedly quiet fans in my day, what it says on the box isn't quite what you get in reality.

I'm part deaf, so i'll be fine.

9 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

In Australia, there's no such thing!

I have just decided to build a PC after seeing how bad my laptop is.

The PC will be an i5 6600k with a GTX 960 and 16GB of DDR4, and because I live in the far north of Australia, it will be liquid cooled!

At the moment i planning to buy a PC too, not exclusive for KSP 1.1 ;)

• Intel Core i5-6600K OC @ 4.4GHz with Corsair H100i GTX Watercooling
  • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB maybe i wait for the next generation GTX 1070
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666
  • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

I have just recently built one. Nothing special to add about its stats or whatever, but to save some folks some bother:

If you want to install Windows 7 on a Core-i7 Skylake machine and you don't have an internal optical disc drive:

YOU ARE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME

So many headaches. But it works now :D

4 hours ago, tomkpunkt said:

At the moment i planning to buy a PC too, not exclusive for KSP 1.1 ;)

• Intel Core i5-6600K OC @ 4.4GHz with Corsair H100i GTX Watercooling
  • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB maybe i wait for the next generation GTX 1070
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666
  • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

I recently built a computer using all of the above except the watercooling. I have been extremely happy with it. 

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I have just recently built one. Nothing special to add about its stats or whatever, but to save some folks some bother:

If you want to install Windows 7 on a Core-i7 Skylake machine and you don't have an internal optical disc drive:

YOU ARE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME

So many headaches. But it works now :D

Optical drives are so cheap these days it seems silly to skimp on one. And I agree trying to install without one is a major headache.  I will honestly probably never use it again at this point but for $20 who cares. 

13 hours ago, godefroi said:

I have a 212 cooler on my 2500K, I love it.

While we're on general build subjects, what's the general feeling on micro ATX builds?

Their compact nature is nice but you're gonna need a lot of wire management if you plan to put it in a micro atx chassis. My problem with micro atx is they tend to be less powerful than their atx counterparts, like they can hold less ram, they have less ram or pci sockets, or are just in general less powerful. But they work, and they work fine.

@godefroi as an Electronics Engineering student not far from graduating I can ensure you that there is nothing with a micro ATX that makes it better or worse.

The main difference between them are the pci slots, and what ends up happening is that the highest end cards are expected to be used with more than one GPU.

But on the mid-high range you can find motherboards with about the same quality and the micro ATX will usually be cheaper.

The deal with more expensive mobos is usually the socket, more pci slots and overclocking hability/stability, if you don't plan to do that anything will work fine.

I was thinking the ASRock H170M Pro4, for which I can't really find a downside. I'd be doing it for space reasons, but I don't want to make the kind of sacrifices that would get me all the way into mini-ITX.

Next question; has water cooling "arrived"? Seems to be more and more mainstream; is it time to consider it for a normal non-overclocked I-just-want-it-to-be-quiet PC build?

2 minutes ago, godefroi said:

I was thinking the ASRock H170M Pro4, for which I can't really find a downside. I'd be doing it for space reasons, but I don't want to make the kind of sacrifices that would get me all the way into mini-ITX.

Next question; has water cooling "arrived"? Seems to be more and more mainstream; is it time to consider it for a normal non-overclocked I-just-want-it-to-be-quiet PC build?

Depends on what you want.

An all in one (AIO) liquid cooling solution can give you better cooling for a decent price, and no mess or fuss.

I'm deciding on that now for my new rig's case arriving Monday. right now it's on stock cooler, which will not stay.

The new case has enough fans to keep things cool and place a air cooler on it, but I'm thinking of going fluid AIO because:

Weight of fan and coolers on MB, when moved.

Water block/pump takes less room over MB, not interfere with other MB components if I have to go back into it.

Cons: worrying about a leak, worrying about a pump issue.

Still, since I can do either a single 120 radiator on the back, or a 240 on the top, it may be the time. 

10 hours ago, Basto said:

Optical drives are so cheap these days it seems silly to skimp on one. And I agree trying to install without one is a major headache.  I will honestly probably never use it again at this point but for $20 who cares. 

Usb disk drive. Stick it in the cupboard when done. Works for me :)

7 hours ago, IvanTehFennec said:

Man, if you are building a pc for KSP, then you are misguided. KSP isn't worth building a new pc for.

Lies, darn lies!

Also a PC that can run KSP, doesn't have to be used soley for KSP.

But it could!

KSPOS.

If only I was smarter than my cat!

P.S. My KSP Mug arrived today.
Happiness is a fast compute and a warm cup of Kerbal tea.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.

18 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Lies, darn lies!

Also a PC that can run KSP, doesn't have to be used soley for KSP.

But it could!

KSPOS.

If only I was smarter than my cat!

P.S. My KSP Mug arrived today.
Happiness is a fast compute and a warm cup of Kerbal tea.

That was horribly depressing to read. 

1 minute ago, IvanTehFennec said:

That was horribly depressing to read. 

Excellent. Excellent.

Shall I continue?

When upgrading, I go for the most power that I can afford.
That power also happens to to be beneficial to KSP.

Right now, a lot of power is in pretty close reach for not a modest cash contribution compared to years past.

Am I building for KSP, or office365?

You be the judge.

:cool:

3 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Excellent. Excellent.

Shall I continue?

When upgrading, I go for the most power that I can afford.
That power also happens to to be beneficial to KSP.

Right now, a lot of power is in pretty close reach for not a modest cash contribution compared to years past.

Am I building for KSP, or office365?

You be the judge.

:cool:

Building a computer for a game ruined by billy is what's sad. Build it to play better games.

2 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

What is this billy you speak of? (honestly I have no idea).

What better games?

You are billy. And literally anything else, since SQUAD can't deliver a decent game without adding whatever flavor-of-the-month mod, or letting some modder fix their trash.

Edited by IvanTehFennec

What he has been saying is, a game with such horrible optimization does not deserve a pc specifically built for it. Graphics processing power? It's not a limiting factor. CPU? It will use only one core. RAM? It's 32 bit.

5 hours ago, IvanTehFennec said:

You are billy. And literally anything else, since SQUAD can't deliver a decent game without adding whatever flavor-of-the-month mod, or letting some modder fix their trash.

You realize that you are on a forum dedicated to to that game, populated by the people who more or less really enjoy it.....Right?

6 hours ago, Burdman said:

What he has been saying is, a game with such horrible optimization does not deserve a pc specifically built for it. Graphics processing power? It's not a limiting factor. CPU? It will use only one core. RAM? It's 32 bit.

This thread is about 1.1 which will use mutli-core, includes 64bit and will be much more optimized. Most likely it will not need a badass PC.

10 minutes ago, rkman said:

This thread is about 1.1 which will use mutli-core, includes 64bit and will be much more optimized. Most likely it will not need a badass PC.

Will not need Does not =  Can not use. 

The chase for better performance will never be won, and will never end. Right now, a 500 part Station or base is considered huge and laggy. With 1.1 and its 64bit and multi thread. That will will be pushed further, but will not be removed.

Its like shooters and reloading their own rounds. Reloading your own rounds doesn't make shooting cheaper. You just end up shooting more.

Same deal I think here I think, 500 part stations will be the new "average" and a 2000 part monstrosity will become the new death blow to FPS. And when that day comes, you can bet there will be people like me, who will OC the hell out of their system trying to get 2001 parts to chug smoothly. 

So in part I agree with you. 

NO ONE NEEDS TO UPGRADE THEIR PC TO PLAY 1.1

But a new high end PC with 1.1 vs my old PC and 1.0.5 will (hopefully) have such a tremendous increase in performance that it will take me months before I run into that wall again..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.