Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

Damn.

Well I would go for the 6700k....Because I did. 

I'm super stoked for 1.1. I really like my Aio Cooler too.

If your gonna go big. Then go big. Dont forget looking for open box deals and what not. I dont pay retail for anything. Takes longer but I have saved a ton on my current PC by deal hunting. 

6700k was roughly 350usd 

gtx 980 <300usd 

H100i <80

16gb ddr4 2400mhz <60

ect ect..

good luck.

p.s. Unless your super desperate....dont get an i3. Youll prob end up disappointed. And thats really kinda anti the end goal...

2 hours ago, stibbons said:

Where are you shopping?

I'm yet to find anybody cheaper than MSY. And you can tell that they're not wasting any money on web design. :P

I concur. They haven't had the 4790k on their website for at least few weeks now :(
Most of the stuff I want is at CPL or PCCASEGEAR, but ya know... costs more.

Also one MSY store is within walking distance from home.

And they didn't advertise holiday closing times on their website so I walked there & back for exercise only!

1 hour ago, scribbleheli said:

Damn.

I'm super stoked for 1.1. I really like my Aio Cooler too.

If your gonna go big. Then go big. Dont forget looking for open box deals and what not. I dont pay retail for anything. Takes longer but I have saved a ton on my current PC by deal hunting. 

6700k was roughly 350usd 

gtx 980 <300usd 

H100i <80

16gb ddr4 2400mhz <60

ect ect..

good luck.

p.s. Unless your super desperate....dont get an i3. Youll prob end up disappointed. And thats really kinda anti the end goal...

I was debating it in my head all the way to the shop.

Its a $460AUD saving by going i3, but last time I built a PC I chose to not stick with my specific choices and ended up with a PC that had Two XFX 8800GT cards with no fan controller so the fans ran at full tilt all the time.
I spend hundreds more over the years trying to silence the machine, but never had much luck!

11 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

I'm in Australia, so there's the Australia tax.

Every store I look at and on pcpartspicker it $10-$30 more for the CPU, 1150 Motherboard choices are more limited and about the same price as the equivalent 1151 or more.
DDR3 prices seem to be slightly higher per GB too.

I've read some good stuff about the hyper 212 evo but am leaning toward a Nepton 240m all in one cooler.
Sure its 3 times the price, but is 9 DB quieter and has an equally good rep.

Shop doesn't open for another hour... still thinking.

I'm also in Australia and going to buy from PC case gear (online), have you looked at them? The i5 6600k is $357, then I'll be going overkill with a Corsair 280mm all in one liquid cooler which is only $200, and you could save heaps on that if you needed.

On 3/26/2016 at 8:33 PM, Falcon Coupe said:

I'm also in Australia and going to buy from PC case gear (online), have you looked at them? The i5 6600k is $357, then I'll be going overkill with a Corsair 280mm all in one liquid cooler which is only $200, and you could save heaps on that if you needed.

I like PCCASEGEAR, but MSY is closer and usually $5-20 cheaper per item.
If I'm in the city I'll go out to CPL, but since they moved its not the most viable option as their wait times are too slow to make it there & back in a lunch hour.

So basically here are my preferred options:

PC CASE GEAR

4790k $515
MSI z97 Gaming 5 $249
G.Skill Ripjaws 2400mhz DDR3 2x4gb $69
Coolermaster Nepton 240M $145

Total:$978 (CPL Equivalent is $985)

MSY

6700k $497
ASUS Z170AR $229
G.Skill Ripjaws 3000mhz DDR4 $69
Coolermaster Nepton 240M $145

Total: $940

I want an ASUS board but can't find one at a reasonable price in the z97 range so the 6700k build looks to be the better option.
A new power supply would be nice, but that's really pushing the finances a bit too far.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
too not to

Trying to price this PC build is turning into a bit of a chore.

Would the lead up to June 30th (end of financial year in Oz) potentially save cash with stocktake sales or doesn't the PC industry work that way?
Also, having seen the KSPTV experimentals for 1.1 with Kasper's laptop it gives me hope for performance on this old thing.

Since the days are cooler I can now run it at 3.5ghz with the fans turned down to less than industrial vacuum cleaner levels.

This has somewhat alleviated the issues I was having with multitasking, but I haven't spent more than a few mins in KSP lately (deliberately) so I don't know how it is going at the moment.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.

Current build of 1.1 pre release runs well on the old machine, but both cores of the e8500 are at 100% all the time.

on a 150 part ship I get ~45fps in atmosphere with the clock flickering green/yellow.

in 1.05 it was 25fps and always yellow.

So a big improvement that may well delay my PC purchase some. Also have an upcoming house insurance payment to influence the sensibility of buying a pc right now.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
Autocorrect

On 25/03/2016 at 5:21 AM, scribbleheli said:

I would not, at least not for KSP. Why not? Because an i7 will likely yield no performance increase over an i5. The same goes for almost any other game. Hyperthreading simply does not line up with what games need too well.

Not to mention having good benchmarks goes a long way in picking out the most worthwhile components.

Edited by Camacha

On 26-1-2016 at 5:06 AM, scribbleheli said:

I'm Super Stoked about 1.1. So I saved up all my Christmas money, Work Bonus, and even a little Grant funds to build a Skylake PC.

Core I7 6700k@ 4.8Ghz 

Asus Range 8

64GB SDD just for KSP, 500gb SSD as primary boot, 1Tb HDD storage.

16Gb DDR4 @2400Mhz (another 16 is in the Que if KSP can make use of it)

Liquid cooled goodness Cosair H100i

GTX 760OC windforce (Hopefully tax refund gets a 980 ti)

Anyone else build I high end PC just because they were excited about 1.1?

That sounds like one strong computer! I personally don't plan on buying a new computer anytime soon, I'm pretty happy with what I'm typing this on (64-bit Windows 10 on a laptop, 6GB RAM memory, 500GB storage, Intel i3-1330M processor and Intel HD Graphics 4400), it runs KSP smoothly, while the next update will feature Unity 5 and 64bit, and only Unity 5 already doubles the FPS, let alone 64Bit. Add to that, my KSP even runs smoothly with Kopernicus and a ton of planets plus stuff like Texture Replacer, Scattere and E.V.E, even when I'm recording, so I'm pretty good.

A good friend of mine's having computer issues lately though, so I put together a new PC for him, Intel i5-6400 Quad Core with Skylake Technology (boxed edition), 480GB SSD, 8GB RAM and I honestly don't remember the graphics card model but it has 4GB, so I have no doubts he'll be able to run any game he wants to play just fine.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

I honestly don't remember the graphics card model but it has 4GB, so I have no doubts he'll be able to run any game he wants to play just fine.

Beware: 4 GB says nothing. Manufacturers know that less informed people will look at VRAM as a measure of performance. The result is that they put huge amounts of terribly slow VRAM on an even slower GPU chip. The latter is like the processor of the video card: it does all the actual work. VRAM is just there to assist. Without a properly fast video chip, no video card will ever perform.

A good video card should have:

- A fast enough video chip. This depends on the generation, but always check reviews and actual, real world benchmarks (bold, italic, underlined) to get a decent indication.
- Enough VRAM not to run out. The thing with VRAM is that it hurts when you do not have enough, but that having more than necessary yields no gains. Getting it just right is the trick. Do not fall for cards with massive amounts of VRAM. There should be enough keep your fancy video chip fed and that is it.
- The VRAM should be of the GDDR5 type (or better). Manufacturers put massive amounts of cheap GDDR3 or even DDR3 RAM on cards, because it sounds nice to have a gazillion GB or RAM. Performance will be abysmal, though. You need just enough of the fastest memory you can get.
- A good quality power supply with the proper cables to feed the card. You do not need silly amounts of watts - even 450 watt will be too much for all but the most exotic set-ups. More important is the quality of the GPU. Get a good, proper, A-brand unit.

Video card manufacturers tend to massively overstate the required power supply. This is because they know some people will run their cards with shoddy PSUs that will not make the rated power for any sustained period of time. If you get a good unit, though, you can do with much less than indicated. A good power supply will provide its rating and a lot more over a sustained period of time (hours), a bad power supply will only (often barely or not at all) provide its rating for milliseconds. The actual sustained load is often much, much lower than indicated on these bad power supplies. Again, look at actual, real world measurements to figure out what a video cards actually consumes and pick a proper PSU accordingly. Do not hesitate ask for advice in the computer topic if you are unsure.

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

Beware: 4 GB says nothing. Manufacturers know that less informed people will look at VRAM as a measure of performance. The result is that they put huge amounts of terribly slow VRAM on an even slower GPU chip. The latter is like the processor of the video card: it does all the actual work. VRAM is just there to assist. Without a properly fast video chip, no video card will ever perform.

A good video card should have:

- A fast enough video chip. This depends on the generation, but always check reviews and actual, real world benchmarks (bold, italic, underlined) to get a decent indication.
- Enough VRAM not to run out. The thing with VRAM is that it hurts when you do not have enough, but that having more than necessary yields no gains. Getting it just right is the trick. Do not fall for cards with massive amounts of VRAM. There should be enough keep your fancy video chip fed and that is it.
- The VRAM should be of the GDDR5 type (or better). Manufacturers put massive amounts of cheap GDDR3 or even DDR3 RAM on cards, because it sounds nice to have a gazillion GB or RAM. Performance will be abysmal, though. You need just enough of the fastest memory you can get.
- A good quality power supply with the proper cables to feed the card. You do not need silly amounts of watts - even 450 watt will be too much for all but the most exotic set-ups. More important is the quality of the GPU. Get a good, proper, A-brand unit.

Video card manufacturers tend to massively overstate the required power supply. This is because they know some people will run their cards with shoddy PSUs that will not make the rated power for any sustained period of time. If you get a good unit, though, you can do with much less than indicated. A good power supply will provide its rating and a lot more over a sustained period of time (hours), a bad power supply will only (often barely or not at all) provide its rating for milliseconds. The actual sustained load is often much, much lower than indicated on these bad power supplies. Again, look at actual, real world measurements to figure out what a video cards actually consumes and pick a proper PSU accordingly. Do not hesitate ask for advice in the computer topic if you are unsure.

I had a computer expert look at it, plus I know what I'm doing. The RAM memory is DDR4, while the motherboard has two DDR4 connections so it is expandable. As for the power supply, partially modular 450W power supply, so it can't only power the computer just fine but also has some room left for expanding the computer with heavier hardware. And the GPU manufacturer is Nvidia, so you bet it's quality stuff. Costs some money too though.

49 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

The RAM memory is DDR4, while the motherboard has two DDR4 connections so it is expandable. [...] And the GPU manufacturer is Nvidia, so you bet it's quality stuff. Costs some money too though.

I am not talking about the normal RAM type, I am talking about the video ram (VRAM) memory type. The story I posted earlier still applies. You can have a 4 GB Nvidia card that cost hundreds of money units and still end up with a slow card that will not perform. That is exactly why I felt compelled to write the post. People get fooled every day and a major red flag is that people post the memory size rather than the make. Brand or memory size are only moderately interesting, the actual chip model is what counts when it comes to performance.

Also, I hate to call myself a computer expert, as there is always more that you do not know than you do. I am pretty sure you would call me a computer expert, though, as would the general public.

Edited by Camacha

3 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Intel i3-1330M processor and Intel HD Graphics 4400

The 4400 is part of the Haswell line, so your processor id should beginn with a 4. I'm pretty sure they never had a four digit code that began with a 1.

2 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

that's true with spool solder, and spolldering iron you can create cool pc too, it just require time, component and the right scheme

You might need a few transistors and other parts too :)

3 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

The 4400 is part of the Haswell line, so your processor id should beginn with a 4. I'm pretty sure they never had a four digit code that began with a 1.

My computer either has HD Graphics 4000 or 4400, I thought it was 4400 but I could be mistaken.

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

I am not talking about the normal RAM type, I am talking about the video ram (VRAM) memory type. The story I posted earlier still applies. You can have a 4 GB Nvidia card that cost hundreds of money units and still end up with a slow card that will not perform. That is exactly why I felt compelled to write the post. People get fooled every day and a major red flag is that people post the memory size rather than the make. Brand or memory size are only moderately interesting, the actual chip model is what counts when it comes to performance.

Also, I hate to call myself a computer expert, as there is always more that you do not know than you do. I am pretty sure you would call me a computer expert, though, as would the general public.

I read through all the info on the card AND compared it to the recommended hardware of the games that it has to be able to handle, and it passed with flying colours on both accounts. Still, I really appreciate your concern, one can never be too careful.

EDIT: I was mistaken, it's an AMD card, not Nvidia. Here are the specs:

Raedon R7 370 4GB
GDDR5
5,7GHz
Videochip Raedon R7 370
normal speed 925MHz
max speed 1,07GHz
1024x cores
Max resolution 4096x2160 (Cinema 4K)

Edited by The White Guardian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.