Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

1 hour ago, scribbleheli said:

please explain the dual gpus?

hows that possible?

You can stick as many graphics cards in as you've got PCI-E slots (and assuming you've got a big enough PSU to power them) and you can SLI them together, if they have the same GPU (which also requires a 'bridge' connection between the cards) like in this pic which has 4 cards in SLI;

nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-sli-4-way.jpg
(just a random pic from google, not mine)

In SLI they either each take a proportion of the image to work on, or they each render different frames (I'm not massively up on SLI, so that might not be 100% right, but essentially they share the graphics workload).

I used to have two 460's so they were in SLI configuration, but then I got a 960 so as it's a different GPU running them in SLI wasn't an option, so I just replaced one 460 with the 960 and left the other 460 in because you can tell the nvidia software to use it as a dedicated physX processor. So for most of the time the 460 just sits there doing nothing, it's only used in programs that can utilize physX (come on KSP, it is time)

But It's not gamers who take this to silly levels, it's bit-coin miners who go nuts with racks of cards setup for greater levels of parallel processing. 

ocji14pk7s2jgkyxgku3.jpg
And that's quite a small setup!

edit, forgot to say, SLI is the term for nvidia cards, for AMD it's crossfire, but essentially it's the same concept. 

Edited by katateochi

I just built my brother one, with a 970 GTX... slightly higher stats than your's. 1020$ was the final price.
  for anyone building one, A good place to start is here. www.pricewatch.com  ..lots of competition there. then bounce around the web comparing prices.

Edited by Talavar

I just replaced my old machine out of necessity,  but was planning to upgrade soon anyway.  

Quad Xeon w3550 (3.07 to 3.33 Ghz)

12 Gb DDR3 ram

Nvidia GSX 950 graphics card

120 Gb SSD + 750 Gb HDD

Starts up KSP in 30 seconds (from nearly 10 minutes before), big improvement in frame rate, and finally been able to look at 'eye candy' mods at last. 

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

You can stick as many graphics cards in as you've got PCI-E slots (and assuming you've got a big enough PSU to power them) and you can SLI them together, if they have the same GPU (which also requires a 'bridge' connection between the cards) like in this pic which has 4 cards in SLI;

nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-sli-4-way.jpg
(just a random pic from google, not mine)

In SLI they either each take a proportion of the image to work on, or they each render different frames (I'm not massively up on SLI, so that might not be 100% right, but essentially they share the graphics workload).

I used to have two 460's so they were in SLI configuration, but then I got a 960 so as it's a different GPU running them in SLI wasn't an option, so I just replaced one 460 with the 960 and left the other 460 in because you can tell the nvidia software to use it as a dedicated physX processor. So for most of the time the 460 just sits there doing nothing, it's only used in programs that can utilize physX (come on KSP, it is time)

But It's not gamers who take this to silly levels, it's bit-coin miners who go nuts with racks of cards setup for greater levels of parallel processing. 

ocji14pk7s2jgkyxgku3.jpg
And that's quite a small setup!

edit, forgot to say, SLI is the term for nvidia cards, for AMD it's crossfire, but essentially it's the same concept. 

I know all about SLI crossfire.

It was the different GPUs that threw me. I didn't know you could have a different GPU. I thought it was a SLI/Crossfire only thing with matching GPUs

After some research, it turns out my GTX 760 windforce will be a PhysX Gpu instead of being thrown in a closet.

I have an old i7 i bought in 2011 with 8gb ram. Originally I had a gt560 but got burned last year, so I changed by a 660ti. This year I may buy 8gb extra ram and maybe an ssd for ksp. Can't upgrade video card now since I have other expenses coming (a baby).

14 hours ago, Gwtheyrn said:

Just did a rebuild recently.

AMD 9590FX cooled by a Corsair H80GT and mated to an AsRock 990FX Killer Fatal1ty

16GB RAM

GTX970 w/4GB

500GB Samsung SSD

Blu-Ray burner

I'm considering submersion cooling.

I always wanted to try that. But it just looks like an absurd amount of hassle. (Linuis Tech Tips did one)

Once I get my PC up to snuff, I think Ill try liquid cooling on a wall mount instead. 

Wall Mount PC

Wall Mount PC 2

On 31.1.2016 at 3:34 PM, StarStreak2109 said:

Got a new Asus N552VX-FY105T notebook with KSP 1.1 in mind.

Addendum, it is amazing, being able to run a crapton of mods and SVE and Scatterer at a really decent frame rate of 25+ looking down at oceans and clouds. :cool:

Edited by StarStreak2109
Typo...

Just picked up my new i7 4790kand MSI Z97S SLI Krait motherboard! Replacing my old ones and keeping my 12GB RAM + Radeon HD 7870XT. While I do not think the replacement will be painless, I am already looking forward to playing KSP 1.1 with the new parts.

On 28/01/2016 at 2:43 AM, Sequinox said:

MSI GeForce GTX 750TI(It's my humble little card :D)

Hey, 750 Ti is enough to play anything at 1080p.

On 29/01/2016 at 4:11 PM, pincushionman said:

I'll be sticking with my 6-year-old AMD Phenom II 955 / GeForce 9800 GTX setup, which wasn't exactly top-of-the-line even when I built it. I haven't had any KSP problems (though I haven't ever built any huge monsters). Or for that matter, any other games I actually play.

The old Phenom IIs were good chips and can still hold their own against today's budget chips in general, but if/when you do make the move to a modern Intel chip like I did you can expect double the fps in KSP when you aren't GPU-limited.

Hi,

I upgraded 5 years ago to a i7 2600 and a gtx680 3,5 years ago. I don't see any fiscally responsible upgrade today. So it has to do. Threw in a samsung 850pro recently though, now i should be settled until KSP 1.5 or so ;)

I'm also wondering about whether to upgrade.  I have an i7 930 @2.8GHz; it's what, five years old, but it keeps on chugging.  12G RAM, a small SSD that holds only Windows 7, some giant hard disks, and a new nVidia GTX980 that has mostly rejuvenated the system.  Would a new motherboard/CPU help KSP notably?

Wow, the amount of dedication some of you have for KSP... I would never spend $1,000+ on building a PC optimized just for KSP. Besides, as some of you have said, it would be overkill and the performance limits of KSP would not let itself use the full potential of the computer.

That being said, I have upgraded my RAM to 16GB, mainly because it is easy to do and does not cost much ($40 for an 8GB DDR3 stick).

Edited by Rthsom

Hmm

Not for KSP  but for 3d modelling planning to buy SSD samsung 850 EVO  with 250GB.

Planning to upgrade my RAM from current 8 to 16Gb DDR3

And planning to upgrade from my Saphire HD 5850 2GB to some GTX 770 4GB or maybe some AMD 380 4GB.   

I think my i5 2500K @4.2GHz is still doing OK after 5 years :)

7 hours ago, Mister Spock said:

I'm also wondering about whether to upgrade.  I have an i7 930 @2.8GHz; it's what, five years old, but it keeps on chugging.  12G RAM, a small SSD that holds only Windows 7, some giant hard disks, and a new nVidia GTX980 that has mostly rejuvenated the system.  Would a new motherboard/CPU help KSP notably?

I went from an I7 920 @ steady 3.5Ghz (saw higher, but not for long) to the 6700K and doubled my framrates with a 600 part ship from 9-10 to 18-23. Its hard to tell where the 30fps limit is because the unload distance is like 18k now or something. So when my test ship gets out of the debris range it skyrockets to my 120fps limit fast.

7 hours ago, Rthsom said:

Wow, the amount of dedication some of you have for KSP... I would never spend $1,000+ on building a PC optimized just for KSP. Besides, as some of you have said, it would be overkill and the performance limits of KSP would not let itself use the full potential of the computer.

That being said, I have upgraded my RAM to 16GB, mainly because it is easy to do and does not cost much ($40 for an 8GB DDR3 stick).

A Computer that can do KSP well. Will handle everything else I do, great.

I'm definently not 1000$+ in.

Closer to half that. I'm a good bargain finder, and black friday was kind to me. 

On 1/29/2016 at 3:14 PM, pandaman said:

I just replaced my old machine out of necessity,  but was planning to upgrade soon anyway.  

Quad Xeon w3550 (3.07 to 3.33 Ghz)

12 Gb DDR3 ram

Nvidia GSX 950 graphics card

120 Gb SSD + 750 Gb HDD

Starts up KSP in 30 seconds (from nearly 10 minutes before), big improvement in frame rate, and finally been able to look at 'eye candy' mods at last. 

Why the W3550? It's an ANCIENT and very power-hungry CPU. Unless you're getting a killer deal on it, I'd recommend against it. Also, 16GB of RAM has been my baseline for a couple years. Finally, if you went from 10 minutes to 30 seconds, and you weren't even loading any eye-candy mods, it wasn't your CPU that was the problem (unless it was something like a Pentium 3 or some such). Did you have Hamachi installed on the old machine?

Edited by godefroi

10 hours ago, Rthsom said:

A PC "optimised just for KSP" as it is now will still handle virtually all games well. The only difference compared to a general gaming PC build is that for KSP you want a modern fast-clocked Intel CPU. And to be honest once you are above the real low-budget rigs that's what people are putting in their gaming PCs anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.