The Ultimate Challange

21 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm doing essentially this, only with a lander can. The core of my mission is this lander can with Jr. docking ports top and bottom, and 4 OX-STAT solar panels for safety.

It was really fun designing my 4 different landers (Eve dedicated, Laythe plane*, ISRU Anywhere**, and Land Anywhere***) to each work with the core lander can. Especially the plane :)

* Not strictly needed, but you (or at least I) can't go to Laythe and NOT bring a plane.
** "Anywhere" here is defined as "Can land on Moho empty, and can lift 3 orange tanks of fuel from Moho to Orbit." Anywhere else it'll land and need to get back up with fuel is smaller than Moho.
*** "Anywhere" here is defined as "Can SSTO anywhere it needs to but Tylo (Vall, specifically), and with drop tanks can land and return from Tylo". I'll be using it on Tylo last :)

I had fun with that as well. One bit of advice would be to "Control from here" somewhere other than the lander can if doing a long burn under physics warp. I got bad can wobble on several burns. Ended up going with a bigger docking port

2 hours ago, Jetski said:

I had fun with that as well. One bit of advice would be to "Control from here" somewhere other than the lander can if doing a long burn under physics warp. I got bad can wobble on several burns. Ended up going with a bigger docking port

Yeah my mothership has a centrally-located (and very sturdy) probe core for control of the main ship. The smaller ships aren't big enough to have the problem, and I won't be time warping under acceleration with them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible. @Matt Lowne did it. Make a plane with an irsu and drill, (and lots of solar) hyperedit it to all the planet and moons for testing. Then make modifications based on what you know. Then repeat. What ever you make, add radiator panels, LV-N's, regular rocket engines, and maybe jets... Oh and if you go with the design you have now, add some radiator panel to the LFB's.

7 minutes ago, xiej said:

0s deadline? What does that mean??

there is no deadline

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Don't think big, think small, what's the minimum size you need for a grand tour? For inspiration, watch this: 

That is really good!!!

• 3 weeks later...

After a little problem with Moho transfer, :blush: another 3 weeks of testing and development (I'm absolutely not using any mods, all tests done from KSC launch pad/ runway) , my ships fuel tanks are nearly the double size now, and it got a large overhaul to still be able to defeat kerbins gravity with so much weight added. :0.0:

But finally I'm on my way again! :cool:

Just cleared the inner solar system, heading for Duna! actual burntime: 1h 4min.

Game recorder is running, so I can you present you a nice fast forward video in a few days :)

I hope you will see some things, that haven't been done in ksp before. :confused: At least I heavent seen them before :)

This challenge really takes all of my time and powers. While working almost 50hours per week in my subchallenging daytime job... and playing the game in 1/3 speed, because recording the game and calculating this 350part ship brings my computer to its limits.

But I always finish what I begin! :)

Thanks to my wife, who supports my ambitious "nighttime ksp engineer job" :D

Edited by Kergarin

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Finally back on KSC runway!!! :confused:

Manned single launch SSTO Spaceplane carryed everything with it to plant a Flag on every celestial body.

Now have to speed up the 50hour video :D

Congratulations! Now I'm really curious how you did the Eve leg in an SSTO. Got any pics to share? :D

38 minutes ago, DaMaster_Architect said:

Congratulations! Now I'm really curious how you did the Eve leg in an SSTO. Got any pics to share? :D

Thanks! :D

Well, as I mentioned it carryed everything needed with it, including an eve lander in a very special way. :wink:

No pictures, but a video will follow soon :)

On January 26, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Gojira1000 said:

Hmm, do Eve last, obviously - I can see how to do it, but that is a serious piece of work, especially as Tylo is in there, too. I love that the Grand Tour shows up as a contract :) And I suspect "single vessel" would imply you land the same lander can on everything (no way is a probe getting the glory, Jeb HAS to go). I want to see a massive miner mothership combined with a heavy-G lander that can do this without leaving bits on Eve or Tylo.

Why do Eve last? I would think to do it first so I wouldn't have to carry the big return rocket the whole trip.

7 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Finally here is my Ultimate Challenge :)

http://youtu.be/FXAzQk01vuw

Wow... it's a little hard to watch in fast forward, but I am impressed!  I do believe you have done it, my friend!  
Feel free to copy and paste a badge into your signature if you wish.  

I have one request.  Instead of doing a long fast forward video, can you do another one with just the cooler highlights of your trip?  It's not required for the challenge.  I just want to watch.  :cool:

Thanks! :)

Sorry, the first version was half the speed, but I wasn't sure if someone would spend 20minutes to watch :D

This video shows the complete tour because it was meant as a proof, but I could also do a version that only shows the highlights.:cool:

But what are highlights? :confused: All landings? Or just special ones like Duna and Eve?

Also it would take a few days until I will have time for that. 

And I have to find out, why I can't write as much text on youtube, like others can do, and how I can change the preview picture :huh:

What I can do quick, is upload the half speed 20min version :D if you are interested?

Edited by Kergarin

7 hours ago, Kergarin said:

What I can do quick, is upload the half speed 20min version :D if you are interested?

I don't know if Jim is interested, but I am.  I liked the mission and would like a closer look.

Happy landings!

18 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Thanks! :)

Sorry, the first version was half the speed, but I wasn't sure if someone would spend 20minutes to watch :D

This video shows the complete tour because it was meant as a proof, but I could also do a version that only shows the highlights.:cool:

But what are highlights? :confused: All landings? Or just special ones like Duna and Eve?

Also it would take a few days until I will have time for that. 

And I have to find out, why I can't write as much text on youtube, like others can do, and how I can change the preview picture :huh:

By highlights I just meant whatever looks the best to you.

Take your time, do whatever you like. I just figured if have 50 minutes of raw footage to pick and choose from, you should be able to do a really nice "highlight reel" so to speak.  Probably a couple.

Congrats again!

12 hours ago, daboss0010 said:

Are you aloud to send refueling stations to all of the planets? if so, then how big can they be?

Also, are you aloud to use Mechjeb?

The actual game contract mentioned nothing one way or the other about refueling stations, so I have no problem with it.  In fact, I'll probably use them in my attempt.  

I've never actually used MechJeb, but from what I understand of it, I don't really see why not.  The one big forbidden mod would be HyperEdit, obviously. That would be seriously cheating.  And no infinite fuel and all that.  But I don't have a problem with other mods.

22 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

The actual game contract mentioned nothing one way or the other about refueling stations, so I have no problem with it.  In fact, I'll probably use them in my attempt.  

I've never actually used MechJeb, but from what I understand of it, I don't really see why not.  The one big forbidden mod would be HyperEdit, obviously. That would be seriously cheating.  And no infinite fuel and all that.  But I don't have a problem with other mods.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, daboss0010 said:

If you can use MechJeb, then the biggest challenge would be building the ship.  

Kind of.  For my attempt it was mainly getting gravity slingshots and intercepts spot on, particularly around Moho.  Not sure if MechJeb does that other than providing the same kind of info as Transfer Window Planner.  The main ship itself was a kludge with lots of docking ports and a tug (and the Eve lander was...well...just an Eve lander).

Edit: also, I sent a "refueling station" (another ship worth of fuel and the Eve lander) as a second launch.  Strictly speaking the challenge just boils down to same command pod landing on every body then home.   I think @Kergarin should be scored on a different level altogether - the way he did it was much more difficult - a single SSTO launch is likely beyond my skills :)

Edited by Jetski

On 4.5.2016 at 4:26 AM, Starhawk said:

I don't know if Jim is interested, but I am.  I liked the mission and would like a closer look.

Happy landings!

Please see my post above, for the long version :)

On 4.5.2016 at 1:52 PM, Jetski said:

That is a really impressive mission!  Great ship design

Thank you! :)

23 hours ago, Just Jim said:

By highlights I just meant whatever looks the best to you.

Take your time, do whatever you like. I just figured if have 50 minutes of raw footage to pick and choose from, you should be able to do a really nice "highlight reel" so to speak.  Probably a couple.

Congrats again!

My raw footage is ~3.000 minutes :confused:

Thank you too :)

Edited by Kergarin