Why are the charges on the electron and proton the same?

cantab

On 28/1/2016 at 6:12 AM, Rdivine said:

Quick question. Do the numbers beside "spin" actually represent angular momentum?

Not really. The particle isn't really spinning, the spin is just an intrinsic value of the particle. Angular momentum exists for a physical rotation, like a spinning top. For a particle spinning in a magnetic field, the equivalent of angular momentum is magnetic spin momentum, wich does depend on the spin quantum number of the particle.

I'm having trouble translating this into english, i learnt it in french and the terms are not the same.  Also keep in mind that i learnt about this when i was studying magnetostatic and MRI, so my point of view may be centered on this and i might be missing some other aspects

That's the real nut in the mouse trap, isn't it Nfun?

What's matter? Protons and neutrons and electrons. What are protons and neutrons and electrons? Quarks. What are quarks?

Uhhhhhhhh......

<crickets>

It was once thought matter was infinitely divisible, retaining the same properties. Then there were atoms. Then subatomics. Then quantum level. At every step, we have eventually discovered there's another step. Where's the final layer in the cake? Nobody knows.

So, if it's something "nobody really understands" as you put it? Maybe we should avoid it? You'll notice, after all, that I was able to answer Cantab's question in the thread title without going into quantum mechanics at all.

Yes. And as K^2 pointed out, you were wrong. You had a good simplification, but it had errors. Which is the entire issue, and part of the reason why he didn't want to dumb it down.

Because this thread has already been requested to calm down and has not, it will now be locked due to the large amount of personal attacks and other comments in violation of the Community Rules being posted.

Please try to have a civil discussion instead of calling each-other dumb and making accusations of insults.