[1.2] DarkSideTechnology (Beta)

Badsector

Set of parts for help in long cruise ship building,

Includes 2.5m foldable centrifuge, 2.5m and 3.75m hubs and inline 3.75m solar panels.

CwOiSVj.jpg

Inside MM patch for CTT, USI-LS and Snacks

Suggestions for balance or criticism for the model are welcome :)

Thanks to @landeTLS for explanation on how import the object in Unity

DOWNLOAD

SpaceDock

GitHub

TACLS Support Alternative cfg by @Deimos Rast

CLS support by @panarchist

TweakScale Patch by @nebuchadnezzar

LICENSE

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Changelog

Spoiler

V 0.4.1

Updated to KSP 1.2 changes

V 0.2.3

Added windows light animation

Inline solar panel is no more retractable

V 0.2.2

Patch fixes

V 0.2.1

Some little changes

V 0.2

Added agencies and flag, flagdecals for centrifuge

Service module deprecated and replaced by a 3.75 m inline solar panel

Finally DDS textures

V 0.1.2

Added missing textures

V 0.1.1

Hubs balance weight and price

Empty hubs now have attach node inside

V 0.1

New model for centrifuge

Directory cleanup

Added hubs in different dimension

V 0.03

Added Service Module

Some tweaks for the centrifuge

V 0.02

Added Hatch

USI-LS patch rebalance

Edited by Badsector
update

30 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Also, how does it rotate?

Think of the Gravity "wheel" as a pail full of water, and the (whatever rotates it) as your arm, now your arm goes in circles, with the pail at the end, but the water doesn't fall from it, that's because of centripetal force. And that's how this rotating "wheel" has "gravity".

Edited by Spaceception

35 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

I haven't downloaded yet but I like!

A smaller version to fit in a 2.5m fairing perhaps?

IFI life support support would be good too.

Also, how does it rotate?

Peace.

Porkjet Habitat already have a really nice small centrifuge, the package have inside MM patch that add supplies for USI-LS and Snacks (only supplies not  recyclers), for rotate unfold than spin

Regards

Luca

Edited by Badsector

2 minutes ago, Badsector said:

Porkjet Habitat already have a really nice small centrifuge, the package have inside MM patch that add supplies for USI-LS and Snacks (only supplies not  recyclers), for rotate unfold than spin

Regards

Luca

It's nice to have variety though

15 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@Badsector: LOOKS EPIC!!!

May I ask, will you ever add an IVA? I'd LOVE TO SEE THAT!!!

In future, now i have to find how to add some lights and add an hatch (next update) after i want fix the model a bit (different lifting system ?) after after IVA

Edited by Badsector

I couldn't wait so I downloaded set aside work to have a look... and it seemed too much in addition to my above post, so apologies.

Nice concept and great conceptualisation.

Would you be able to release telescoping corridor tubes separately as there isn't anything else like that around that I can see.  They may need to be an Infernal Robotics part for this to work though.

http://www.artificial-gravity.com/sw/SpinCalc/ suggests that a gravity of .67 is good.

A suggestion for reducing the size - potentially to get behind a aero-braking shield would be to rotating the habitat modules to be flush forward, then when deployed they spin 90 degrees to their rotational direction as in now.  It could mean you could fit four sections and create a complete torus that way!  If the structural beams also telescoped rather than were simply guidance rails then the width pre-deployment could be well reduced.

The IVA I think is unique?  Looks good - further development would be cool, perhaps couches and tables like in Nills277 Kerbal Planetary Base Systems for a long term craft. 

On IVAs however there is always a complication with FireSpitter and the windows I think.   I'm not sure how to combat it, except windows in the ceiling only?  It seems that the craft is rotating, but not the window - the horizon doesn't stay the same.  My preference would be developing to utilise JSI transparent windows, but the firespitter could be a complication.

Well done though.  My compliments to the chef.

Peace.

5 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

A suggestion for reducing the size - potentially to get behind a aero-braking shield would be to rotating the habitat modules to be flush forward, then when deployed they spin 90 degrees to their rotational direction as in now.  It could mean you could fit four sections and create a complete torus that way!  If the structural beams also telescoped rather than were simply guidance rails then the width pre-deployment could be well reduced.

The IVA I think is unique?  Looks good - further development would be cool, perhaps couches and tables like in Nills277 Kerbal Planetary Base Systems for a long term craft. 

On IVAs however there is always a complication with FireSpitter and the windows I think.   I'm not sure how to combat it, except windows in the ceiling only?  It seems that the craft is rotating, but not the window - the horizon doesn't stay the same.  My preference would be developing to utilise JSI transparent windows, but the firespitter could be a complication.

Well done though.  My compliments to the chef.

Peace.

Interesting idea rotate modules, and with the new lifting system probably is possible too, the iva is the stock MK3 crewcabin as placeholder

6 minutes ago, Badsector said:

Interesting idea rotate modules, and with the new lifting system probably is possible too, the iva is the stock MK3 crewcabin as placeholder

Thanks!  I'd have assumed that within a fairing the shape of the cross section shouldn't matter so much for lift, only the size.  But I am happy to be wrong.

The only reason for a smaller rotational shape, or a reduced pre-deployed width is that I don't tend to upgrade my launch pad past tier two, and prefer to only use the 2.5m fairings.  I suspect that it won't be possible even with the rotated hab modules.

For the IVA it was the access hatch in the ceiling that got me.  I tend not to use the Mk3 parts.

Peace.

Do you plan to make a custom-made IVA for this mod.  I love this centrifuge, and I know the current IVA is probably just a stand in until you develop your own.

I prefer centrifuges that are all one piece like this and porkjet's centrifuge (oh, and the centrifuge in UKS/MSI mod)....as opposed to building a centrifuge via infernal robotics and such, and it certainly reduces spaceship part count.

1 hour ago, Gaultesian said:

Do you plan to make a custom-made IVA for this mod.  I love this centrifuge, and I know the current IVA is probably just a stand in until you develop your own.

I prefer centrifuges that are all one piece like this and porkjet's centrifuge (oh, and the centrifuge in UKS/MSI mod)....as opposed to building a centrifuge via infernal robotics and such, and it certainly reduces spaceship part count.

I don't plan to do a big pack, only 3 or 4 parts, now i'm just finish the second and after i have to do only 1 structural part.

When those part are functional ingame i start to watch for making a custom iva for the centrifuge.

I alert from now that probably is impossible or don't give a good result have the iva rotate like the centrifuge, but that i can see only when i start to model.

7 hours ago, Badsector said:

I don't plan to do a big pack, only 3 or 4 parts, now i'm just finish the second and after i have to do only 1 structural part.

When those part are functional ingame i start to watch for making a custom iva for the centrifuge.

I alert from now that probably is impossible or don't give a good result have the iva rotate like the centrifuge, but that i can see only when i start to model.

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you want to achieve :) I'm looking forward to the IVA though!

I have to say I agree with the issue of the IVA rotating as i have never seen a Firespitter base rotating ever work with the windows.  I  saying this I'm not sure I've ever seen a custom IVA for a rotating Fires putter part.  I think that they have all borrowed stock.

I have no idea how it works but my guess is that the IVAs always seem to be stationary with the central core of the part, watching the part rotate around you through the windows.  Whether you can place the IVA external to the non deployed part or else attached to the moving and thus rotating collider or not will be the key to making the IVA windows work well.

Peace.

2 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you want to achieve :) I'm looking forward to the IVA though!

I have to say I agree with the issue of the IVA rotating as i have never seen a Firespitter base rotating ever work with the windows.  I  saying this I'm not sure I've ever seen a custom IVA for a rotating Fires putter part.  I think that they have all borrowed stock.

I have no idea how it works but my guess is that the IVAs always seem to be stationary with the central core of the part, watching the part rotate around you through the windows.  Whether you can place the IVA external to the non deployed part or else attached to the moving and thus rotating collider or not will be the key to making the IVA windows work well.

Peace.

Porkjet centrifuge have a nice custom iva without windows, and probably you are right the iva is stationary for that i can't do windows or if you make it rotate probably give issues with the camera

A little preview for the next part, inline solar panel with some radiators capable of track the best position versus sun, only 1 part and work with stock modules

Edited by Badsector

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.