Is it bad that my GameData folder takes up 1.45 GB?

RocketSquid

5 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

So I have A LOT of mods. So many that my GameData folder is 1.45 gigabytes. Is this a problem, other than the ram usage?

Like others have said, a GB or two three is pretty easily reached if you start collecting mods on an install. You're good.

Now let's talk about the part where you talk about GameData as if you only have a single (as in one. uno. einz) install.  You can't possibly be serious about KSP unless you have at least 5 separate GameData folders:

• a clean version to leave untouched,
  • an unmodded of the latest version,
  • a modded-to-all-heck of the latest version,
  • a test-new-mods-before-adding-them-to-my-current-career-version,
  • one to actually dabble a little into making your own mods/parts,
  • and depending on how truly devoted you are, one or more of the above for every single previous versions of KSP that you still have a live career save in.

The modded folders are of course 500-3GB each.

Got a Steam install here, too. I just made a folder on my desktop I call "KSP Repo". Within it, I've pasted 4 copies of the game. Great thing about KSP, even on Steam, is that the program is completely self contained within its own folder structure and is portable to any location on your computer. Those copies include 1. Clean install, no mods. 2. Stock install, modded all to heck. 3. Realism Overhaul install, and 4. Another clean install that I'm trying to decide what to do with. I'm leaning on either a Roverdude-only mod install or Kerbal 64 with SMURFF.

On 1/30/2016 at 2:19 AM, RocketSquid said:

I'm using steam, so it's really annoying to set up multiple installs.

Why? How could it be any easier than just grab one folder and copy it to anywhere you want?

Let steam install the latest patches in its own directory, but play the installs you keep elsewhere.

It´s easy to do and makes a lot of sense. Has been discussed here a few times in different context, for example here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/124918-how-to-keep-a-playable-copy-of-104-steam/#comment-2268733

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.