Migrate to Steam

I'm about to migrate my buy from the own store to Steam. Keeps games together and all. However, there's one thing the Steam versions of games tend to mess up: off-line play.

How's this in KSP, can I still do everything I'm used to do in the current install from the store when I've installed the Steam version? Loss of saves, progress, vehicles and the like is unacceptable when not having a connection around.

Hi Mast, there's no DRM on KSP, even on Steam.

No authentication, no always online, no checks, nothing from blocking you from playing your game when you want to.

You only need to login to Steam to download updates to KSP.

You can copy your current saves and ships over to the Steam version, and even copy the Steam version to other folders to have modded and stock installs.

So don't worry, even if you have no internet and all your other Steam games won't let you play them, you can still play KSP.

See you in space :)

15 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

No authentication, no always online, no checks, nothing from blocking you from playing your game when you want to.

You can copy your current saves and ships over to the Steam version, and even copy the Steam version to other folders to have modded and stock installs.

So don't worry, even if you have no internet and all your other Steam games won't let you play them, you can still play KSP.

Yes. There's DRM on the Steam version of KSP. That DRM is called Steam.

Steam is a client application that is a store and a front end to download games and updates, Steamworks can provide DRM amongst other features such as Steam controller support, and it is an option made available by Valve for developers who choose to use it.

I'm playing the Steam version of KSP right now without Steam currently running or having had to start the Steam client, I started it by clicking the KSP.x86_64 Linux binary, this is made possible by the absence of DRM on KSP.

It's not helpful to mislead people by misrepresenting the products of companies you dislike :)

On 30/01/2016 at 7:01 AM, BloodDusk said:

Yes. There's DRM on the Steam version of KSP. That DRM is called Steam.

But only if you choose to run Steam.  With KSP, once you've used Steam to install it, it's quite possible to go straight to the KSP folder and run KSP without steam running.  You can make a copy of your KSP game folder elsewhere, mod it differently, and then you have something that you can run without Steam, and won't get trampled by any automatic updates either. 

Your reply gives the impression that KSP is somehow tied to the DRM that is Steam.  It is not.

On 1/30/2016 at 0:46 PM, sal_vager said:

I may be missing a setting, but I activate the game manually because I have to keep steam online if I start through steam because it will auto shut it down or won't shutdown if it recognized it running via itself. So there is technically a DRM or something equivalent for online with steam. That or I need to start it in offline mode. But I still can't exit steam and leave the game up. I usually do this for a little extra resources in game as I use a lot of big ships.

It's like PlayOnLinux's annoying problem with shutting down all programs it has up if you shut the background app down...(Literally) 8\ Very annoying when a game on steam breaks but is still running and I can't even find the system process to shut it down afterwards... They should rethink those designs.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.