New right click menus

Mach_XXII

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Wow, that looks amazing.

Is this an accidental leak or was it posted to places we never hear about (i.e. Twitter)?

I looked around quick to see in the album was posted anywhere and didn't find anything

Those menus do look nice!! They look much clearer and that style of display will really help with the problems of having lots of menu open and then not being able to see the one you want to click on.  
I still don't think I like the idea of the tool bar running down the right side.  I'll have to see how it works with lots of mods..... but I'm sure some kindly modder will make something to flip it back up to the top anyway.

10 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Those menus do look nice!! They look much clearer and that style of display will really help with the problems of having lots of menu open and then not being able to see the one you want to click on.  
I still don't think I like the idea of the tool bar running down the right side.  I'll have to see how it works with lots of mods..... but I'm sure some kindly modder will make something to flip it back up to the top anyway.

I was under the impression that the right side menu change was for the PS4 only. Did I miss something? I don't really care either way as long as it works well. I've always thought it would be nice to a modular interface anyway. I could get rid of the pilot portraits (or limit it to just one) and put the navbal in the right hand corner so I can see more of my ship. 

1 hour ago, Wolfos31 said:

I was under the impression that the right side menu change was for the PS4 only. Did I miss something? I don't really care either way as long as it works well. I've always thought it would be nice to a modular interface anyway. I could get rid of the pilot portraits (or limit it to just one) and put the navbal in the right hand corner so I can see more of my ship. 

No, the change is for all versions.  Back when Blizzy's Toolbar was the primary toolbar, I ALWAYS put mine on the right hand side.  It's much more comfortable there IMO. 

In terms of size, it should be the larger for most standard monitors when vertical, but some laptop aspect ratios such as the one Harvester is using in the screenshots above (which may be just windowed mode) will be just slightly smaller by about 1 icons worth of space.  However most desktop monitors and televisions are 16:9 or 16:10 these days so this change makes a lot of sense for squeezing in a little room.  Those playing on awkward aspect ratios are probably in the minority, especially when you start adding in consoles on TVs.

EDIT: Just as an example of this, the following screenshot is 1920x1080 (16:9).  The red and blue bars are the exact same size.

NtQRqqb.png

Edited by Alshain

3 hours ago, Mach_XXII said:

I looked around quick to see in the album was posted anywhere and didn't find anything

Whoops..

He has nothing to worry about though. It looks great, and it will not move around anymore either!!

Edited by Majorjim

Nice, that was the kind of thing I was really hoping for in a UI rewrite, looks real good so far.  Kind of wonder how they'll manage tiling multiple menus...  Let's hope we can move and resize the navball around too, maybe get some extra information on the flight screen.

Edited by regex

3 hours ago, marce said:

The design change is nice, but what I'm really hoping for is "stocking" yet another mod: freezing the menus on mouse-over so that they are actually usable and not rotate away with the vessel, which I consider rather annoying and not "fun".

You didnt see my post above. Squad announced a while ago that the new click menus will not move with the craft. This should have been done before version 1.0 but a LOT of things should have been done before version 1.0.

Look in the top right corner of the options menu.  WdTMJA3.png

Is that a button?  Will the button close the menu?

Check my Litterbug Lifter video and see why I appreciate this awesome enhancement to the option menus.

EDIT:

Can the option menu be dragged and placed into custom locations?

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

On 1/31/2016 at 5:36 AM, Majorjim said:

You didnt see my post above. Squad announced a while ago that the new click menus will not move with the craft. This should have been done before version 1.0 but a LOT of things should have been done before version 1.0.

If modding KSP taught me anything it's that GUI work using standard Unity 4 tools is a virtual hell akin to programming box layout Swing without a layout tool.  You can do it, you can make it work, but you're not going to like it and it's going to take a ton of dev time.  For once I agree with the decision to wait for a major refactor in KSP for some of these features.

1 minute ago, regex said:

If modding KSP taught me anything it's that GUI work using standard Unity 4 tools is a virtual hell akin to programming box layout Swing without a layout tool.  You can do it, you can make it work, but you're not going to like it and it's going to take a ton of dev time.  For once I agree with the decision to wait for a major refactor in KSP for some of these features.

With hindsight, I agree. I keep forgetting how small Squad is.

4 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I for one was hoping for some other way to integrate the granular controls/options of the craft... for example if you forget to put mode switch of multiple engines in an action group you have to click every engine separately, causing thrust mismatches.

This could be implemented if the options menu for parts that are symmetrical are combined and have another button to expand the tree.  For example an LV-T45 is placed in three time symmetry then right clicking on any of the engines brings up an options menu that controls all three.  Then a further expansion button could reveal all of the engine's option menus.

Here is an edited version of the new options menu.  The wings are placed in symmetry and now have a new expand all button beside the close button.  

The next frame shows the expanded view.  The choices for the original options menu are to close all or collapse the tree.  The choices for the new child options menu are to remove from selected or collapse this option menu.

knCvnsf.png

bBdpBVu.png

This improvement removes clutter and also improves the control input to groups of selected parts.

Since you're talking about menus, I think some items may need a change for better consistency.

Usually when a menu action is possible, you get:

- the text description of the action ("Activate engine"),

- the blue button that triggers the action (click to activate the engine).

But sometimes, it's a different logic, because the text describes the object status, and not the action. This is very confusing at first.

For instance, on a RAPIER engine, you get something like:

- "Manual switching" (the status),

- and when you click, you change the status.

----------

Another idea, less cosmetic.

It's never easy to exactly transfer the quantity of fuel you want. That would be cool if you could set the cursor, and then ask for the transfer.

Edited by gogozerg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.