Blender Export Format

Unity can read .blend files themselves, actually.  What I do is I make the .blend in the assets folder, so it imports it every time I save it.  Look at The RoverDude method in my signature.

Edited by Guest

For some reason I never got Unity to take my .blend files directly. I usually use DAE for static models, and FBX for animated ones. The only real reason I don't use FBX all the time, is that FBX imports at 1% scale for some reason, and I just get tired of fixing it. ;)

Unity does a nifty process where if you have blender installed it will perform a silent call to blenders fbx exporter if there is a .blend file in the asset folder(i think all it requires is that blender is installed in the default dir and that unity has read permission to that dir).

I like to have full control over that process myself, so i would export it to the asset folder as an fbx manually. But i can see the advantage of just using the .blend file directly.

Dae should probably be avoided alltogether as it is probably on its way out. And obj does not support mesh skinning or rigging. So .fbx or .blend (if blender is your game) is probably the way to go.

The 0.01x scale import preset thing is just plain stupid i think (Why does unity do this?). I think i read an article on how to change the default but dont remember how or where it is.

Edit:

The 65534 semi-hard vertex count limit does not come from the obj format but from unity itself. Over 65000 verts is a quite large number and you would need to model something very complex (in ksp terms) to justify exeeding this number. I got unity to import an fbx containing meshes with over 65534 verts but i had to specify that the model should be split into several mesh objects.

Edited by landeTLS

7 hours ago, NecroBones said:

For some reason I never got Unity to take my .blend files directly. I usually use DAE for static models, and FBX for animated ones. The only real reason I don't use FBX all the time, is that FBX imports at 1% scale for some reason, and I just get tired of fixing it. ;)

With the newer Blender (definite with 2.76b) fbx exports nicely in a 1:1 style, as the fbx exporter got a overhaul and the scale is now 1.0 default. (could be set in older versions, too).

y59yZNI.png

Just select all the parts, export to fbx, then in the export fbx panel check the "selectec objects" and "!experimental! Apply Transform" checkboxes (no fear, it works perfectly), make sure scale is set to 1.00 and forward is "-Z forward" and up is "Y up" which should be set by default.

I usually export directly into my unity projects \Assets\Models folder so that the moment i export it, it is auto-updated in unity.

Edited by InsaneDruid

9 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

@NecroBones your tutorial about modeling a fuel tank in Blender was very helpful. Can you also do some demos on things like creating textures and animations (for engine gimbals or otherwise) in Blender and Unity?

I probably could. I'll give some thought about what to cover etc.

Hi,

So I am having tons of problems I cant get a part to load into KSP; I am trying Unity 4.2.2 now instead of 4.6.1 (I dont use animations so I didnt see a problem but I did notice an animation portion in my projects; I could have tried deleting them.

I am streamin today if anyone wants to hop on over; it would be great if my Unity version was the only problem but I just cant see it.

Commander Zeta

FBX doesn't "change the scale". I always used fbx, and it was always perfectly correct the way you set it up. Default of blenders exporter changed through, from beeing .1 to 1. But as said, thats only the default value pre-selected in the exporter.

Main geometry, colliders, nodes, everything works.

(No, I'm not saying that fbx is better than any format, but it is not flawed)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.