Low CPU usage slows down CPU, and makes KSP lag

Since a few days, I have had some lag while playing KSP, even when the game was not doing anything that consumed too much resources (ie: stacking stuff in the VAB or flying a 40 part upper stage + payload outside atmosphere). And by lag I mean 5fps.

I originally thought that my install was broken and used too much of my CPU so I checked my CPU usage: overall, it was around 15-20%.

The problem is that this stupid CPU said: "Hey, no one's using me, so I'm going to get to sleep and clock at 770 MHz, the things running should have no problem keeping up". And we all know that KSP asks a lot from the CPU, and especially clock speed for processing physics; so the result: KSP is slower when not doing anything than when flying hundred parts ships.

I ended up loading some programs in the background to increase CPU usage to get better fps in KSP...

And now it's there running nothing but Chrome and iTunes, Turbo Boosting itself at 2.9 GHz for 6% of usage...

Any suggestions ?

Config:

Spoiler

Intel i7-5500U, 2.4GHz
GeForce GTX 950M (3GB)
8GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit

(Not sure this is the right place to ask this, please move the thread if not)

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, c4ooo said:

Just a shot in the dark, but have you made sure that windows is set to "high performance", not "balanced" power saving mode? 

Sidenote: we have matching avatars lol.

Yeah, I'm using a custom power setting with more or less everything at 100%.

Since then I've updated to 1.1.3 and the performance increases seem to have solved the issue. This thread is almost a year old, so I'll ask for it to be locked.

PS: love your avatar too!

29 minutes ago, c4ooo said:

@Gaarst sorry for the the necropost :( It said 'january' so i thought it was recent. (stumbled on this thread through google search) 

No worries mate. Necroing is alright when people actually contribute to the discussion, which you did.

(Also seems like my locking request didn't go through, stupid mobile software)