KSP 1.1 Hype train

scifi6546

@GregroxMun  Is the official hype train driver. The hype train comes when the Hype train is ready to roll. :)

12 hours ago, LayZboy said:

What's in 1.1?

I've not followed the dev blogs or anything.

Updated game engine to Unity 5 and Multiple core support. Better contracts, something like remote tech and UI updates and probably something else I forgot.

Edited by Dfthu

41 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

No one makes hype train thread because Ksp didnt make it to experimentals yet.

Until it goes into experimentals the train is not in a suitable condition to take any advanced bookings as there is no real indication of how long it may be before the tracks are even laid.  

I SAW THIS THREAD AND HOPED THERE HAD BEEN AN ANNOUNCEMENT. I AM DISAPPOINTED NOW!

Happy now Chewy62? 

Got my hopes up and everything. While I am enjoying the Linux 64bit experience I am hoping for a stable Windows 64 bit version so I don't have to keep swapping between systems when I want to run other games. That is probably the only thing 1.1 needs to have to keep me happy.

The remote tech-esque communication system will add a nice set up to a stock game and one i was considering graduating to in my next re-start... but we have Remote Tech and I have no issue with using mods to adapt my game play... well, not now I am using a stable 64 bit system anyway.

since my hype train has transitioned from a formidable diesel electric land train modeled loosely off a railway prototype to my current fixation.. lesser theme park type trackless lawnmowers with a train shell.. I fear any type of hype train built on that foundation would seem weak and insulting..

as for the hype Hope.. 

I was disapointed with 1.05 really.. reverted straight back to 1.04.. but due to my PCs dwindling specs more than anything.. 

although its a futile hope.. if we had a glimmer of performance we had in 0.25..then it'll be all rainbows and unicorns for alot of people im guessing.. the added parts and features might just be bonuses

THE REAL THING IM EXPECTING IS A NEW SQUAD KERBAL ANIMATION MOVIE SINCE OMG 1.1 IS IMPORTANT!.. maybe not as dark as 1.0 though :)

Sigh, same misinformation again. KSP *is* multithreaded, and has been for ages. What is of interest to us however is spreading the physics process over several threads, which was virtually impossible previously given that the version of Physx used by Unity 4 as well as most of it's library, was not thread safe. Unity 5 brings thread safety into the balance, which means we could theoretically now spread the process, but it doesn't automatically do itself. You actually have to separate the process yourself. Threading is a very tedious and complex process, so added on top of the Unity 5 port, the insane bug hunt that must've followed, and the work on 64bit builds, this sounds like quite a large endeavor to also thread the physics process through all this mess. Maybe they did, but in no case does it mean they actually did. I haven't seen much talk about it, so I'd assume this will be for another update.

PS: if the physics process was threaded, a dual core would be more than enough to run KSP. Eight is basically an overkill in this case, so it doesn't really matter. Everyone would see ridiculous improvements.

57 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

Threading is a very tedious and complex process

Some non-coders may not appreciate how painfully true this statement is. If regular programming can be likened to untangling pasta, then threading is like untangling asynchronous multidimensional pasta! 

squad has not released any info for the release date of 1.1 so this thread is pretty much pointless right now (sorry to be such a buzzkill) and in the end there is only one hype train driver and that's gregroxmun

Edited by kookoo_gr

46 minutes ago, katateochi said:

threading is like untangling asynchronous multidimensional pasta! 

A) i am using this from now on.

B) there is an easy way to untangle multidimensional pasta- you go one dimension higher i mean how cant you see it? next thing you'll say you cant visualize 4d platonic solids pahhh!

8 hours ago, scifi6546 said:

I have decided to drive the hype train because I have not seen anyone else do it

anyways Let us all share our hype for KSP.

I am hoping for multithreading because I have an 8 core cpu.

Hahahaha no. The Hype Train only starts when a KSP update enters experimentals. Mind you, the Unity 5 Update is going through a QA and Experimentals phase that is internal and is unrelated to the 1.1 QA and Experimentals phase.

Those who follow the story of the Hype Train may be wondering what the condition of the Hype Locomotive is right now. Because the Hype Locomotive has an A.I. system and that A.I. has the brain of a child, I had to drive all the way over to the National Railway Museum in York, Yorkshire, Great Britain. The reason: Her seriously unhyped sister, Flying Scotsman, has just been put back into steam. (With some spare parts from the Hype Train, by the way.) On the way back home, I overestimated how fast I could travel undetected over normal rails, and ended with a huge fine from the police and a bruised ribcage. Hype Loco 07A is, however, perfectly fine. I built those buffers to last!

Edited by GregroxMun

1 hour ago, EladDv said:

A) i am using this from now on.

B) there is an easy way to untangle multidimensional pasta- you go one dimension higher i mean how cant you see it? next thing you'll say you cant visualize 4d platonic solids pahhh!

"Polytopes", please ;) 

The main points of 1.1:

Unity 5:
- Stable 64 bit client = no memory cap & better performance on 64 bit systems.
- Newer version of physX which is benchmarking considerably better. On top of that, this new version is built around multi-threading, meaning less of a cpu cap on one core

This basically changes everything for me, now I can run all the mods I want with better performance, including cosmetic mods which Im currently skipping.

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

The train is waaay to early!

clearly not a UK train then ;)
yep, lemme just couple another caboose to this train to help slow it down!

13 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

On the way back home, I overestimated how fast I could travel undetected over normal rails, and ended with a huge fine from the police and a bruised ribcage. Hype Loco 07A is, however, perfectly fine. I built those buffers to last!

ouch!! you ok dude? (I'm guessing, although who knows, that it wasn't the police that gave you a bruised rib cage!?)

4 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Sigh, same misinformation again. KSP *is* multithreaded, and has been for ages. What is of interest to us however is spreading the physics process over several threads, which was virtually impossible previously given that the version of Physx used by Unity 4 as well as most of it's library, was not thread safe. Unity 5 brings thread safety into the balance, which means we could theoretically now spread the process, but it doesn't automatically do itself. You actually have to separate the process yourself. Threading is a very tedious and complex process, so added on top of the Unity 5 port, the insane bug hunt that must've followed, and the work on 64bit builds, this sounds like quite a large endeavor to also thread the physics process through all this mess. Maybe they did, but in no case does it mean they actually did. I haven't seen much talk about it, so I'd assume this will be for another update.

PS: if the physics process was threaded, a dual core would be more than enough to run KSP. Eight is basically an overkill in this case, so it doesn't really matter. Everyone would see ridiculous improvements.

But that is exactly what they claimed on squadcast months ago. Not only were they able to to make the physics run across all cores, but they also said that they were able to balance physics of a single ship across multiple cores.

I really hope this has not changed since then.

I stayed on the hype train after 1.0.5, and I'm still there, so I can assure you that this train is not where you think it is.  @GregroxMun, can you come back for me?  You detached the car I'm in during the police raid.  I'm sorry I slowed it down...

8 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I stayed on the hype train after 1.0.5, and I'm still there, so I can assure you that this train is not where you think it is.  @GregroxMun, can you come back for me?  You detached the car I'm in during the police raid.  I'm sorry I slowed it down...

I have no idea where you are. If you turn off the Somebody Else's Problem field, I can probably locate you. I may have to hurry, because there could be a train going through the area, and you could cause a train crash.

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

clearly not a UK train then ;)
yep, lemme just couple another caboose to this train to help slow it down!

ouch!! you ok dude? (I'm guessing, although who knows, that it wasn't the police that gave you a bruised rib cage!?)

I'm fine. When I said "rib cage" I meant the cage I store my fried, barbecued, sentient, and butter-covered McRib sandwich in.

8 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I have no idea where you are. If you turn off the Somebody Else's Problem field, I can probably locate you. I may have to hurry, because there could be a train going through the area, and you could cause a train crash.

I don't know where that is.

EDIT:

I've managed to convince this other train driver to get me a ride.  I'll be back aboard in a couple days.  Just try not to detach any more cars... 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I don't know where that is.

EDIT:

I've managed to convince this other train driver to get me a ride.  I'll be back aboard in a couple days.  Just try not to detach any more cars... 

You convinced a britsh railwayman to give you a ride? With my experience with them, they're all "get off these rails, you're breaking at least seven laws. I'm calling the police. Get your passengers off my windshield. You don't even have a permit to use that steam engine." I'm quite impressed with your diplomatic skills.

Incidentally, this thread was made too early. The Hype Train does not depart until Experimentals.

Edited by GregroxMun