[WIP] Historical Progression Tree - Jan 31, 2016

Probus

Historical Progression Tree - Work in Progress

HRT.PNG

Historical Progression Tree - Work in Progress

A work in progress to create a historically accurate tech tree mostly for non-stockalike part packs.  Starting with the USA (FASA) and moving on to the USSR rocket history.  USA to the right and USSR to the left.  As the tree grows it will include more countries and programs such as China, India, NASA SLS, ESA and SpaceX to name a few. 

The tree is laid out with the years in the vertical axis and the rockets in the horizontal axis.  Each new configuration of rocket is vertically in-line with the previous version.  So Atlas starts with Atlas-Mercury, then Atlas-Agena, then Atlas-Centaur. And will eventually lead to the modern version, the Atlas V.

The vertical axis, years, starts with Goddard in 1929 up to 1956, just before the first orbital satellite Sputnik in 1957.  The tree increment 1 year at a time until 1967 and Apollo 11.  Then it increments in steps of 5 years (so that it will fit the area of the tech tree map in KSP.

Most of the stock parts have been removed from the tree.  Just required parts like struts, fuel lines, docking ports, aero surfaces, and utility parts.  These can be used for custom payload creation of satellites, landers, and rovers.  I am waffling on Procedural Parts, but it will, most likely, go in there too.

While not the focus of this tree, important aircraft will be included also.  Just for fun, I am including conceptual craft nodes too.

Required:

Historical Progression Tree [WIP, not ready for a campaign game yet] by @Probus

YongeTech Tech Trees Plugin by @yongedevil

FASA's Launch Clamps by @frizzank

Highly Recommended:

FASA by @frizzank

Contract Pack: Historic Missions by @Whitecat106

Taerobee by @Beale

and... that's as far as I've gotten.

GitHub: https://github.com/ProbusThrax/HPT

Also, if you like podcasts: Space Rocket History

The plan is to next work on Raidernick's parts from Historical Rockets, Probes and Stations.

The plan has changed as Raidernick is updating his parts.  So Tantares and BDB are next.

BTW, If you notice any errors, please let me know and I will fix them ASAP.

LICENSE: GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 3
Edited by Probus
Added download link

If I can shamelessly plug, I believe BDB has better coverage than FASA at some parts of the progression. For example, it includes all variants of Thor (including the early ones), Able + Ablestar, and the Titan 1 ICBM. It comes up short once you start getting into Saturn/Apollo. Also, the next update has a focus on Redstone / Juno / Juno II, and is also set to include a number of parts for early Explorer / Pioneer missions.

Just wanted to suggest since I feel like it might help flesh the lower part of the tech tree out :)

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

If I can shamelessly plug, I believe BDB has better coverage than FASA at some parts of the progression. For example, it includes all variants of Thor (including the early ones), Able + Ablestar, and the Titan 1 ICBM. It comes up short once you start getting into Saturn/Apollo. Also, the next update has a focus on Redstone / Juno / Juno II, and is also set to include a number of parts for early Explorer / Pioneer missions.

Just wanted to suggest since I feel like it might help flesh the lower part of the tech tree out :)

@CobaltWolf BDB is DEFINATLY going in there soon.  I want to get a little work done on the USSR side first.

1 minute ago, Probus said:

@CobaltWolf BDB is DEFINATLY going in there soon.  I want to get a little work done on the USSR side first.

Sounds great! Makes sense to wait - as I said, Redstone / Juno / Juno II and other early parts are getting included in the next update. It is also set to include Diamant (first French rocket) if you're looking to have a European side.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sounds great! Makes sense to wait - as I said, Redstone / Juno / Juno II and other early parts are getting included in the next update. It is also set to include Diamant (first French rocket) if you're looking to have a European side.

Diamant! egg will be happy:).

Really good idea, in my dream i would like to have 2 space center (cape canaveral / baikonur) with a treetech that can show two branch for each program(USA/URSS) and parts only available for each nations. In a stockalike version you can focus on BDB+FASA+Squad for USA and Tantares for URSS.

5 hours ago, blacsky33 said:

Really good idea, in my dream i would like to have 2 space center (cape canaveral / baikonur) with a treetech that can show two branch for each program(USA/URSS) and parts only available for each nations. In a stockalike version you can focus on BDB+FASA+Squad for USA and Tantares for URSS.

Well it turns out BDB & Taerobee are next.  Raidernick is in the process of updating his mods and wanted me to wait a bit before I populate them in the tree, so good news @CobaltWolf!

You can do cape canaveral and baikonur using the kerbalside mod, can't you?

Maybe I can help? A Dyna-Soar option instead of Mercury would be cool! Also the X-1 and X-15 branch can expand into spaceplanes, maybe? It can go X-1, X-15, Dyna-Soar, Shuttle, Buran, and all of those wonderful things.

Also yes, you can have Baikonur and the KSC with Kerbal Konstructs but 1.0 broke KK.

Edited by legoclone09

10 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Maybe I can help? A Dyna-Soar option instead of Mercury would be cool! Also the X-1 and X-15 branch can expand into spaceplanes, maybe? It can go X-1, X-15, Dyna-Soar, Shuttle, Buran, and all of those wonderful things.

Also yes, you can have Baikonur and the KSC with Kerbal Konstructs but 1.0 broke KK.

Yeah, that would be awesome.  I've got a stock-alike X-1 model from Taerobee (grey not orange).  Also, the Buran would have to be on the Soviet side of the tree, but hat sounds like a great idea.  I will git-hub this project (now that I know how to do it ;).

2 minutes ago, Probus said:

Yeah, that would be awesome.  I've got a stock-alike X-1 model from Taerobee (grey not orange).  Also, the Buran would have to be on the Soviet side of the tree, but hat sounds like a great idea.  I will git-hub this project (now that I know how to do it ;).

Yeah, Taerobee is awesome. I can look up costs of rockets and stages/engines if you want me too.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 2:18 AM, HurricanKai said:

Im quite Interested in this but "FASAs Launch camps" no longer exists.... 

HurricanKai :)

You should look into the Cold War Progression Tech Tree and Bluedog Design Bureau. 

The cold war tree has a similar design to this. Also, Bluedog Design Bureau includes the FASA Launch Clamps

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.