Max Science output of a lab?

A lab with about 100 data, and two two-star scientists nets me about 2.2 science per day before it starts to decay.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the math: A lab completely filled, 500 data and two five-star scientists, how much science output will it have per day?

I'm extra curious to know what happens with a modded lab that comes with one of my parts packs. (Tarus HCV 3.75M lab) It holds 750 data and 3 scientists but runs on exactly the same code. Max output from that?

Edited by Kuansenhama

50 minutes ago, Kuansenhama said:

A lab with about 100 data, and two two-star scientists nets me about 2.2 science per day before it starts to decay.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the math: A lab completely filled, 500 data and two five-star scientists, how much science output will it have per day?

I'm extra curious to know what happens with a modded lab that comes with one of my parts packs. (Tarus HCV 3.75M lab) It holds 750 data and 3 scientists but runs on exactly the same code. Max output from that?

Science output is proportional to the data contained and to the crew count.  So a 3-scientist, 750-max-data science lab will have a max output that's 2.25 times faster than a stock MPL with scientists of the same level (since it's 1.5 times the crew, and 1.5 times the data storage; 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25).

I'm not sure exactly how it scales with scientist level (i.e. how much faster a level-5 scientist is than a level-2).

10 hours ago, Kuansenhama said:

Hello,

Found this on the wiki. Apparently even scientists outside the lab contribute. Scroll to "Data Processing Rate" section.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mobile_Processing_Lab_MPL-LG-2#Data_Processing_Rate

Edited by MoonMan22
Added link

That's obsolete, like much of the wiki, which has been the case for a long time; looks like Squad doesn't have a lot of bandwidth for maintaining it. Only scientists actually in the lab count.

29 minutes ago, MoonMan22 said:

Found this on the wiki. Apparently even scientists outside the lab contribute. Scroll to "Data Processing Rate" section.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mobile_Processing_Lab_MPL-LG-2#Data_Processing_Rate

Edited by Snark

5 hours ago, Snark said:

That's obsolete, like much of the wiki, which has been the case for a long time; looks like Squad doesn't have a lot of bandwidth for maintaining it. Only scientists actually in the lab count.

Snark,

Thank you, I had no idea the information on there was so outdated. 

14 hours ago, MoonMan22 said:

Hello,

8 hours ago, MoonMan22 said:

Snark,

Thank you, I had no idea the information on there was so outdated. 

Okay assuming only scientists in the lab count, by my calculation that is 14.175 science in a standard lab and 31.89375 science in the 3.75M lab. Can someone confirm this?

18 hours ago, Kuansenhama said:

Okay assuming only scientists in the lab count, by my calculation that is 14.175 science in a standard lab and 31.89375 science in the 3.75M lab. Can someone confirm this?

I have no idea how it scales with scientist level, other than "higher level is better."  I typically top out at around 6 science points per day in an MPL that's staffed with level-3 scientists and has close to 500 data points in it.

That's at Moderate career difficulty, which has 90% science rewards.  I assume (but do not actually know) that the career science-reward multiplier applies to science lab output.

On 2/2/2016 at 4:38 AM, Kuansenhama said:

On 2/2/2016 at 11:37 PM, Snark said:

I have no idea how it scales with scientist level, other than "higher level is better."  I typically top out at around 6 science points per day in an MPL that's staffed with level-3 scientists and has close to 500 data points in it.

That's at Moderate career difficulty, which has 90% science rewards.  I assume (but do not actually know) that the career science-reward multiplier applies to science lab output.

I was wondering how accurate the Wiki page was, so I did a number of tests to check figures. Unfortunately I only had a mix of 1- and 2-star scientists to test with, on a moderate-difficulty game (so theoretically 90% science rewards).

I can confirm that :

- the wiki percentage daily conversion rates are incorrect by a factor of 5 (but appear proportionally correct). The correct numbers are 0.0675% for a 0-star, 0.3375% for a 1-star and 0.6075% for a 2-star scientist.
- daily conversion rates do not seem to be affected by anything other than the presence of scientists in the lab itself. And they add up, so if a 1-star scientist gives a conversion rate of (say) 1.5188 for an orbiting lab with 450 data, and a 2-star scientist gives 2.7338 per day in the same lab, the total for both in the lab is 4.2525 points per day.

- a lab that is "landed" has a 10% bonus on the data it can extract from experiments, but no bonus in processing speed.
- a lab within the SOI of the celestial body where the experiments were done gets a 25% bonus on the data it can extract from them.
- the data value of an experiment is directly connected to its original (i.e. before the first transmission) value in science points. Again, the Wiki is out of date for this because the multipliers appear to have changed. Taking Bop as an example, the "space high" multiplier in 1.0.5 is 8, the "space low" multiplier is 9 and the "landed" multiplier is 12. Taking Minmus as a counter example "space low" has a mulitplier of 5.
- the 90% science return on medium difficulty directly affects the data value in the same manner.

Taking a gravity scan on the surface of Bop, for example: the negative gravioli experiment has a base value of 20 points. On the surface of Bop that gives 12*20=240 points. If you have a lab around Bop you get a 25% bonus on conversion = 300 data. If your lab is landed, you get another 10% = 330 points.

With a 1-star scientist, those 330 data will give 0.3375% per day = 1.11 science points per day. With two 2-star scientists that would be 330*2*0.6075% = 4.01 science points per day.

Assuming that the wiki numbers are proportionally correct, that does indeed give a maximum (for 500 data with two 5-star scientists) of 2 * 1.4175% * 500 = 14.175 science points per day. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.