[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

@akron This isn't exactly on topic but I guess you spent a lot of time researching Cassini the last few weeks while making the awesome parts that you've showcased here. I was wondering, do know what this weird looking shroud over the thrusters is? I just can't find any information about it. It's shown closed on pretty much all the recent CGI material released by NASA and it's divisions but it's not included on any 3D visualization I have found.

cMJoSWU.jpg

EDIT: duh! I almost found it last time I searched. It's called Main Engine Assembly Cover Mechanism and shields the fragile engine nozzles from micrometeoroids and other mechanical hazards.

Edited by Three_Pounds

@Three_Pounds Yes, you are correct. The cover is missing primarily because the animation would take time to do as I've not done animations using bone-deformers in Unity yet. I was pressed for time trying to get it done by tomorrow. The cover would also not really serve a purpose in KSP other than to be more accurate. To make it open on engine activation would also require a new module and I just didn't think it was worth the trouble now. It can always be added later

As a status, 3 days without power have put me pretty behind as to where I wanted to be, so Cassini won't be ready by EOM. Maybe I can put more work in to complete this weekend. No promises though.

Farewell Cassini!

I got the Antenna dish finished late last night but forgot to upload a pic. I'm doing some experimenting with attachment nodes and I'll put it on github this evening. You'll see parts trickle in as they are done, just beware it's all very WIP

EDIT: I forgot I uploaded them to the DevHole. NOTE, it looks much brighter in-game

rbcCxY6.png

5YF0JcT.png

Edited by akron

rip cassini. Time to add this classic mod to my latest install. Keep up the good work, i'm looking forward to the next update.

Edit: Uh oh.. looks like DmagicScienceAnimate is causing a crash. The game loads fine when I remove the folder. Doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem. Maybe I'll go ask Dmagic.

Edited by Slamnam

On 2017-09-15 at 8:55 AM, akron said:

Farewell Cassini!

I got the Antenna dish finished late last night but forgot to upload a pic. I'm doing some experimenting with attachment nodes and I'll put it on github this evening. You'll see parts trickle in as they are done, just beware it's all very WIP

EDIT: I forgot I uploaded them to the DevHole. NOTE, it looks much brighter in-game

rbcCxY6.png

5YF0JcT.png

Beautiful job! Looking forward to using this!

3 hours ago, Nicome said:

Looks I just became your first Patreon contributor :wink: Thanks for all the hard work, I love what you are doing.  Looking forward to the next version!

Thank you very much! I am definitely trying to get it done as soon as possible.

By the way, there's another push to Github with the Cassini core. If you guys recall from my earlier WIPs, the probe is actually semi-hollow on the bottom and you can put stuff in there for your custom builds so they're not poking on the outside. I'm surprised how much stuff fits! Not exactly Cassini-accurate, but I figured it'd be useful for something. It does not function as a cargo bay so beware of heating, but who's using Cassini for aerobraking anyway?   *glares at NASA*

lARgm42.png

1ynBzEE.png

One more part done-ish, hurray! Let me know if there's issues

Edited by akron

19 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

Are the Cassini RTGs another special part or will we use the default Coatl RTGs?

The Cassini RTGs are a slight modification of the default "high-tech" Coatl RTG and will become the new default Coatl RTG for that tech level. The old version will be removed on BETA 17 to give players plenty of time to transition.

EDIT: The modified RTG is alreadyon Github

Edited by akron

1 hour ago, akron said:

Not exactly Cassini-accurate, but I figured it'd be useful for something. It does not function as a cargo bay so beware of heating, but who's using Cassini for aerobraking anyway?   *glares at NASA*

Stephen Baxter's book Titan showed Cassini aerobraking into Titan orbit to act as a relay for the manned mission there, in 2008.

*glares at Stephen Baxter*

23 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Slaps on a heatshield and aluminum tapes it. Velcroes one EAS-1 seat on and straps Jeb on. 

EXECUTE AEROBRAKE!

Dr. Strangelove comes to mind. Now I'm wondering what a "Manned" Cassini will look like

It is probably only a thing for Career mode players with the Linux version of KSP but I found a small typo in ca_fom_solar.cfg that prevents the Fomalhault solar panels showing up in the tech tree.

Should be -- TechRequired = electrics
and not ------ TechRequired = Electrics

Put a reminder in Github issues already https://github.com/raveloda/Coatl-Aerospace/issues/61 

Oh and this is a totally awesome must have mod by the way :) thanks for making it!

Edited by Kaa253

14 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

It is probably only a thing for Career mode players with the Linux version of KSP but I found a small typo in ca_fom_solar.cfg that prevents the Fomalhault solar panels showing up in the tech tree.

Should be -- TechRequired = electrics
and not ------ TechRequired = Electrics

Put a reminder in Github issues already https://github.com/raveloda/Coatl-Aerospace/issues/61 

Oh and this is a totally awesome must have mod by the way :) thanks for making it!

That actually will cause issues for anyone - most of the line items in the part cfgs are case sensitive.

still seeing likes for the news of Coatl instruments for one of our payloads so here it is on the rocket, click the pic for the vessel page with more info

I6uzzOI.png

Happy to say that the launch earlier this week went off without a hitch (once it went off) and we confirmed the sensors recorded good data after recovery. Thanks @akron for the quality instruments! Look forwards to sending them even higher someday. Click the launch photo for the full mission tweet collection.

KSP_x64.exe_DX9_20170912_211531-768x480.png

Edited by Drew Kerman