[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

45 minutes ago, akron said:

No worries, your English is fine.

I too just started a career save. I'm feeling I really need some stuff in the earlier tech tree nodes

are you using historical progression tech tree?

btw, I totally understand you

have you tried this? 

5 minutes ago, Boomer said:

are you using historical progression tech tree?

btw, I totally understand you

have you tried this?

Not using historical progression. I really meant in my mod. The earliest mission I cover is the Surveyor line, but then it jumps right into Venera and Pioneer. I just feel I need some more early stuff to fill in the earlier tree. Mariner-R and Mariner Mk I are the more obvious choice. I guess also early soviet Luna and NASA's Lunar Orbiter. Not too many options I think would be useful in-game other than Mariner, really.

18 minutes ago, akron said:

Not using historical progression. I really meant in my mod. The earliest mission I cover is the Surveyor line, but then it jumps right into Venera and Pioneer. I just feel I need some more early stuff to fill in the earlier tree. Mariner-R and Mariner Mk I are the more obvious choice. I guess also early soviet Luna and NASA's Lunar Orbiter. Not too many options I think would be useful in-game other than Mariner, really.

I have Mariner, Lunar Orbiter, and Luna 3 (only partially unwrapped, I'd like to hold on to it since it needs camera instruments which are already in BDB) locked down... There's never to my knowledge been good KSP coverage of the Luna program post Luna 3, really ANYTHING Soviet... You have Mariner 4/5/6/7 pretty covered... I'd look through the Explorer program stuff. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having more Mariner. Yours will probably come out better than mine. :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have Mariner, Lunar Orbiter, and Luna 3 (only partially unwrapped, I'd like to hold on to it since it needs camera instruments which are already in BDB) locked down... There's never to my knowledge been good KSP coverage of the Luna program post Luna 3, really ANYTHING Soviet... You have Mariner 4/5/6/7 pretty covered... I'd look through the Explorer program stuff. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having more Mariner. Yours will probably come out better than mine. :)

Explorer does have some cool missions, and some really wacky looking ones. I may expand the Mariner a little bit, just because I'll eventually need it for Viking, so it makes sense. If there's interest I can do the early teen Luna missions. I just don't prefer the design over the later MV buses, which I already have. I may leave it up to a poll. Otherwise I'd skip straight into the E-8 Luna probes, which won't solve my early tech-tree issue. I also really want to do Mars 96, and phobos missions. More Russian, yay!

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I use both Bluedog and Coatl, and find that they synergize quite well.

They do, and on purpose. I am trying not to have parts overlap, but it is difficult in early tech-tree. i may end up doing the same thing as with science experiments, where I disable parts when you have both mods. That way I can include them for those (2 people) that use my mod without BDB. 

Indeed. I think Akron largely agrees with me here, but we have historically planned around each other to minimize overlap and duplication of effort. However we are at a strange point where frankly there isnt that much more early stuff to cover that hasn't been already. I'd maybe mine the cooler individual parts from early probes instead of trying to give full part sets. Don't try and hide duplicate parts if you make them tho. The more the merrier.

Akron, worth noting that I was just thinking of Mariner 1/2. Mariner 8/9 was what Viking was derived from and is not part of BDB. Fair game, but back to the original issue of being further down the tree. It is required for Viking though and I'd love to see that happen.

@CobaltWolf makes a good point. Been working on replicas part sets for too long that I forgot about just some generic parts. I didn't wanna get tied to replica parts to begin with...

17 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I'd say do a Soviet lineup next. They're woefully underrepresented in KSP, if you ask me.

I got u. And actually, all my planned service modules are russian. Starting with Fregat

Github update with more fixes, in case anyone's testing. One new part, Cassini's payload adapter:

mREqK4C.png

The tanks are an optional toggle and hold MP. Cuz why not, there was room :/ . I'm thinking release for Monday, even if things are a little broken :P . More people trying it out are bound to find more issues/feedback

2 minutes ago, akron said:

Github update with more fixes, in case anyone's testing. One new part, Cassini's payload adapter:

mREqK4C.png

The tanks are an optional toggle and hold MP. Cuz why not, there was room :/ . I'm thinking release for Monday, even if things are a little broken :P . More people trying it out are bound to find more issues/feedback

Awesome

21 hours ago, mbound said:

Just wanted to say I love your mod! It's probably my absolute favourite part mod and one that was badly needed by KSP!

Thank you very much, and welcome to the Forums!

On 2/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, woeller said:

I would also like to see early Soviet Lunar Probes/Landers maybe a Sample Return Probe like the Russiun Lunar 16?

Me too. So It will be coming along with Lunokhod

Edited by akron

5 hours ago, woeller said:

Can i hug you? :D

Best news of the day for me so far. Thanks! Now it's time to stay patient.

*Virtual hug*

Thank you for the patience. I might leave it up to vote what parts should come next.

I really want to do a propulsion expansion/overhaul. Not necessarily re-doing parts, but certainly balancing them and expanding on the selection of Upper stages/Propulsion modules. Fregat would get re-sized to its ~2m equivalent (I can look at adding the extended models and/or its drop-tank), and a new PM would replace its current 1.25m footprint. I am looking at a non-lander version of the Luna 16 descent module. Essentially a mix of it and the early Fregat design/Mars APU. A 0.625m version also makes sense. Maybe something based on the sample return engine for Phobos-Grunt. Ikar might be too large and unnecessary since Fregat is done, so it saves me that work. Same goes for Briz.

I looked at Block-D and Volga as a larger stage, but then I'm getting into launch vehicle territory. Besides, Block-D will likely be in Tantares along with Proton (It used to be at one point). Plus expanding the little bit of US stuff I have into PAM, TOS, and a better Star-37 (Voyager/Surveyor)

Beta 17 could also be lander parts. Finishing Voyager 67' lander/Atmospheric Surveyor, Viking, Luna, Mars-96, etc. Still don't quite feel ready for rovers. Might be a good idea to alternate releases between orbital parts, and stuff in the Ground Ops to-do.

EDIT: Update - I had to work this weekend so I could not finish this release. I'm about 1/2 finished with Cassini's imaging pallet. I think that's about all that's left to actually model/texture. I do still have to fix Juno's panels. Then its just a bunch of cfg fixes and tweaks, TS and RT configs. If anyone can knock out any missing RemoteTech or Tweakscale configs, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by akron

3 hours ago, akron said:

*Virtual hug*

Thank you for the patience. I might leave it up to vote what parts should come next.

I really want to do a propulsion expansion/overhaul. Not necessarily re-doing parts, but certainly balancing them and expanding on the selection of Upper stages/Propulsion modules. Fregat would get re-sized to its ~2m equivalent (I can look at adding the extended models and/or its drop-tank), and a new PM would replace its current 1.25m footprint. I am looking at a non-lander version of the Luna 16 descent module. Essentially a mix of it and the early Fregat design/Mars APU. A 0.625m version also makes sense. Maybe something based on the sample return engine for Phobos-Grunt. Ikar might be too large and unnecessary since Fregat is done, so it saves me that work. Same goes for Briz.

I looked at Block-D and Volga as a larger stage, but then I'm getting into launch vehicle territory. Besides, Block-D will likely be in Tantares along with Proton (It used to be at one point). Plus expanding the little bit of US stuff I have into PAM, TOS, and a better Star-37 (Voyager/Surveyor)

Beta 17 could also be lander parts. Finishing Voyager 67' lander/Atmospheric Surveyor, Viking, Luna, Mars-96, etc. Still don't quite feel ready for rovers. Might be a good idea to alternate releases between orbital parts, and stuff in the Ground Ops to-do.

EDIT: Update - I had to work this weekend so I could not finish this release. I'm about 1/2 finished with Cassini's imaging pallet. I think that's about all that's left to actually model/texture. I do still have to fix Juno's panels. Then its just a bunch of cfg fixes and tweaks, TS and RT configs. If anyone can knock out any missing RemoteTech or Tweakscale configs, I'd appreciate it.

Block-D is already in Tantares, and I believe @Beale is doing Briz KM and M in his next update. :)

I personally am more interested in lander parts, since those feel more useful than upper stages, especially solid ones. Lander parts are usable by more players (whereas a lot of players probably wouldn't bother with solid upper stages) and are also a more underserved niche in parts. I'd be willing to contribute the orbital parts for Voyager '67, I already started modeling it a bit. I'd be interested in a full Viking Orbiter / Lander part set for a next release; you did a good job splitting up Surveyor.

This science pallet is kicking my butt. At least I got all the UVs done, just need to finish painting. Ended up re-doing the UV spectrometer and the back of CIRS, so that took a little bit of time. 

XTnDMcT.png

-ZZZzzzz

25 minutes ago, akron said:

This science pallet is kicking my butt. At least I got all the UVs done, just need to finish painting. Ended up re-doing the UV spectrometer and the back of CIRS, so that took a little bit of time. 

XTnDMcT.png

-ZZZzzzz

Looks freaking amazing! Looks like a combo of one of the SCANsat parts and a new type of camera system (Which i guess it is). Can't wait for it to be finished.

3 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Looks freaking amazing! Looks like a combo of one of the SCANsat parts and a new type of camera system (Which i guess it is). Can't wait for it to be finished.

It's this guy here:

97pc858.jpg

I'm taking design queues from my previous parts, including my SCANsat ones. In-game it will function as IR, UV, and Optical imagers, along with support for scansat biome mapping. I don't think it will be a Dmagic multispectral imager. Might be too much science gain from one part

26 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Too much Science? HERESY! :D

lel, I know right? Just trying to keep one part from being too OP and unbalanced. Forcing you to bring multiple parts or do a new mission with different parts (as you should). 

15 minutes ago, akron said:

lel, I know right? Just trying to keep one part from being too OP and unbalanced. Forcing you to bring multiple parts or do a new mission with different parts (as you should). 

Or, place it somewhat higher in the tech tree, after all the individual parts have been unlocked. It'd be a "reward" that has actual benefits, such as being more compact and only one part as opposed to three or four.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Or, place it somewhat higher in the tech tree, after all the individual parts have been unlocked. It'd be a "reward" that has actual benefits, such as being more compact and only one part as opposed to three or four.

I'll have to see. The Voyager science boom is in a similar spot, but it does not return 100% science, so that's the trade off. This new one does return 100% science value, hence the advantage. I am trying not to make the other parts useless. Other than size, you'd have not reason to use the rest once you unlock this one. Leaving TRIXIE to be the dedicated multispectral instrument will force the part variety. Just a thought, but I will test and see where it fits best.

EDIT: Remember that there is a 2nd science pallet which I'll finish in a later patch with at least a mass spectrometer, but likely 2 more experiments (Particles science)

Edited by akron

Hi, Great looking mod. But I seem to have a problem. Everythings going well, and I decided to download and install this mod. Now, for some reason, my ksp won't load. Do you think you know why?

Logs

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sMWA3oz-Pvq0MFooGDYYO-qIUzC60BtZ?usp=sharing

Mods Installed

https://imgur.com/a/NmVjc

Edited by tallon43

39 minutes ago, tallon43 said:

Hi, Great looking mod. But I seem to have a problem. Everythings going well, and I decided to download and install this mod. Now, for some reason, my ksp won't load. Do you think you know why?

I only got a quick look, but I noticed you have an older version of Science Animate, 2 version of Module manager, and likely an outdated Firespitter.

Delete your older Module manager, my mod, firespitter, and dmagic science animate and then re-install my mod and dependencies from scratch. You'll need the Github repo for the latest version. Alternatively, if you want to wait a day or two, I should have the new release out. Hopefully no later than Friday. Only because the Github repo is constantly changing

EDIT: By the way, thank you for posting the logs

Edited by akron