[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

Congratulations with the new release. One of my first mods, which became a must-have in all of my installs. New parts looks very awesome.
On a side note: I've noticed that probes don't have integrated MechJeb in them anymore. Was it intentional? It was a very handful feature. At the same time Coatl Control Systems were a good replacement for standard MechJeb core since they don't have that green light and allow a more realistic spacecraft recreation.

10 minutes ago, FidelUA said:

Congratulations with the new release. One of my first mods, which became a must-have in all of my installs. New parts looks very awesome.
On a side note: I've noticed that probes don't have integrated MechJeb in them anymore. Was it intentional? It was a very handful feature. At the same time Coatl Control Systems were a good replacement for standard MechJeb core since they don't have that green light and allow a more realistic spacecraft recreation.

Thanks! and welcome to the Forums. No, it is not intentional. I will investigate. I probably just messed up the new Mechjeb patch

2 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Congratulation for the release ! Here is a commemorative patch.....wait...

hahaha. Looks awesome, thank you so much!

Thanks for your help.

All the external Antennas are affected. I know this is strange. But all the ProbeCores are OK. Also all other Antennas are OK (Bluedog, AIES, Stock, Origami...)
Yes I dropped it into a active save: not working.
Start a new save: not working.
Made a new GameData (all the mods you listed above are in this GameData too) and start a new game: works

Deleting the ModuleManager-files was the first Thing I did: dind`t change anything.

THANK YOU! Ive been waiting a really long time for this mod to be updated! Really glad to see its finally updated, I love this mod a really rely on it. I was able to install it without a problem, but it seems like all the textures are black, however, the reflection of light off the surface of the pobe seems to change with each texture correctly, but if you simply look at any of the parts or cores from the side, they appear black. Any suggestions on what is happening and possibly how to fix it? Thanks! 

This mod is awesome and I just started a new career game based around it. Thing is, I just realized how many parts it adds, even though I am only gradually unlocking them its still a little overwhelming. I don't know how this stuff is all supposed to be used or put together so I am just mashing it all up and hoping it works. Also, why is the Surveyor stuff so far up the tech tree, I was a little confused at having a probe with SAS a little earlier than usual (perhaps this mod is better in the Community Tech Tree, I'll have to look).

23 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I don't know how I missed this mod till now, but I'm glad I finally got it.  Just installed & only been able to experiment for a few minutes, but my first impression is WOW!!!  Great job!

Thank you very much!

17 hours ago, UNSCspartan said:

Any suggestions on what is happening and possibly how to fix it? Thanks! 

Can you collect your ksp-log? Click link in my sig if you need help finding it

5 hours ago, Gibster said:

I don't know how this stuff is all supposed to be used or put together so I am just mashing it all up and hoping it works. Also, why is the Surveyor stuff so far up the tech tree, I was a little confused at having a probe with SAS a little earlier than usual (perhaps this mod is better in the Community Tech Tree, I'll have to look).

No worries, just mix and match them. They're designed to able to, for the most part.

These parts are roughly historically laid out. Surveyor launched in the 60s. Also, if you have @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau installed, you'll notice that the probes roughly line up with the rockets that launched them. If you need help assembling any of the missions "as intended" kust let me know.

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I was wondering, have you thought maybe add Mars 3 egg shape probe ? It can fit with Vorona stuff and could be a nice addition for Probesplus !

I'll take a look. It would be nice to use vorona parts in multiple ways. I can't remember of top of my head what differences they had.

3 hours ago, akron said:

I'll take a look. It would be nice to use vorona parts in multiple ways. I can't remember of top of my head what differences they had.

I tried to make Mars 3 with parts already available and it look fairely close to the probe looks (except for the lander and the heatshield of course)

My source :

Mars3_iki.jpg

dCZ40y6.png

p3OzTPF.png

L9Vj0xM.png

GdGJyMR.png

q24jmyC.png

Voilà ! :)

Edited by DiscoSlelge

16 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I'm gonna be the guy to ask the stupid question...how the hell do you assemble Meridani-Draco?  I tried back cover attached the the meridani, then the draco core, then the parachute, but there's no node for the heatshield to attach to? 

Sorry I've been slow to respond, been sick. I went the same route as @MaverickSawyer where I assembled Draco as I wanted and saved as a sub-assembly. If it's still giving you trouble, left me know. I can either send you a test craft file, or look about how to tweak the nodes to make it easier to assemble

4 hours ago, akron said:

Sorry I've been slow to respond, been sick. I went the same route as @MaverickSawyer where I assembled Draco as I wanted and saved as a sub-assembly. If it's still giving you trouble, left me know. I can either send you a test craft file, or look about how to tweak the nodes to make it easier to assemble

if possible, could i get a copy of that craft file as well.??

many thanks.

cheers.

4 hours ago, akron said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll test that way out tonight.  That Meridani collection of parts is so well done.  Figured I can try dropping off the Draco probe on my next Eve mission. 

On 2/12/2018 at 2:49 AM, jdub3350 said:

I'm gonna be the guy to ask the stupid question...how the hell do you assemble Meridani-Draco?  I tried back cover attached the the meridani, then the draco core, then the parachute, but there's no node for the heatshield to attach to? 

Having a similar problem. i can build the probes just fine, i can't put the Draco on with the main heat shield facing away from the main probe. There seems to be no way to put it on. (There probably is and i'm just a big idiot.)

Sorry, I forgot to post a craft file last night. I will post something this evening. I think the problem is that Draco's aeroshell does not attach to Draco, but to its heatshield. It's maybe too difficult. I will work on this, but in the meantime, the easiest thing is to build Draco as sub-assembly and attach it that way to your assembled orbiter

I am still waiting a bit to hear about any more issues with this last release to do a patch. I am surprised how very few have been reported. Mostly Draco not showing up and these assembly challenges.

Looking forward to Beta 17. What to do next?

I have enough parts in the Tech tree that an overview and tweak will be coming. I already spotted a couple of the new parts which I will shuffle to another tech node. A further Propulsion system nerf will be needed to bring the engines closer to RL and not so OP. This also opens up more engine options to toss in. Landers seem to be the leading suggestion but to see in more detail, here is a poll, just like last time:

BETA 17 POLL

13 minutes ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Having a similar problem. i can build the probes just fine, i can't put the Draco on with the main heat shield facing away from the main probe. There seems to be no way to put it on. (There probably is and i'm just a big idiot.)

Here's what I did, starting with a blank VAB

-Select the Draco core

-select forward heat shield and place under core

-select parachute and place on top node of core

-select back cover and move down toward core till it turns green

-select re-root tool, click on back cover, then on forward heat shield. 

-drag rerooted part to be saved as sub assembly. 

-then when assembling Meridani probe, select the Draco subassembly, rotate it so the back cover is vertical and facing the probe bus, it'll then snap into the ring decoupler on the side. 

-fin. 

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@akron at least the poll is giving you a clear answer :P

Apparently. I also noticed folks want smaller updates. This means only one or two part collections before a release. I'll aim to have something shortly after the Making History expansion since I imaging it will bring KSP 1.4 as well; meaning dependency update

10 minutes ago, akron said:

Apparently. I also noticed folks want smaller updates. This means only one or two part collections before a release. I'll aim to have something shortly after the Making History expansion since I imaging it will bring KSP 1.4 as well; meaning dependency update

Of note to you, the 1.4 update is supposed to bring stock mesh and texture switching? Might be able to remove the Firespitter dependency. :)

From my POV it makes sense, given your available time, to just try and do one new craft per release. Maybe throw a couple 'parts of opportunity' in as well - you know, parts you realize you suddenly want that won't take much time to do. Personally I know that I wind up thinking of small parts that I find room for on existing texture sheets.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Of note to you, the 1.4 update is supposed to bring stock mesh and texture switching? Might be able to remove the Firespitter dependency. :)

From my POV it makes sense, given your available time, to just try and do one new craft per release. Maybe throw a couple 'parts of opportunity' in as well - you know, parts you realize you suddenly want that won't take much time to do. Personally I know that I wind up thinking of small parts that I find room for on existing texture sheets.

if only I had gone a more traditional way with texture sheets at the start ;.;. It's doable, but takes more planning. Actually, none of the new antenna needed a new texture sheet and there's plenty of room for more if they're fairly simple to UV.

It's shaping up to be a Mariner overhaul/Viking update, but I'll hold judgement for a little bit.

Well, Viking would be a fantastic addition. Something to fit in the (currently empty) heavy unmanned lander slot between Surveyor and a manned lander. As for Mariner... Unless you're adding a probe core for that, there's really not much that I see needing to be done there other than a few texture touchups. The models are perfectly serviceable at the moment.

7 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Well, Viking would be a fantastic addition. Something to fit in the (currently empty) heavy unmanned lander slot between Surveyor and a manned lander. As for Mariner... Unless you're adding a probe core for that, there's really not much that I see needing to be done there other than a few texture touchups. The models are perfectly serviceable at the moment.

Viking would require Mariner 8/9 parts, which aren't present in the mod right now.