[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

On 8/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, baldamundo said:

Can confirm that deleting the ca_explorer part, the rest of the mod seems to work fine

I will try to re-export that part. Not sure what the deal is with drag cubes.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:30 PM, Starseeker said:

Oh sorry, just now saw this!
I downloaded from the SpaceDock page

Yup, go ahead and use the Github repository from now until further notice

On 8/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, akron said:

I will try to re-export that part. Not sure what the deal is with drag cubes.

Post KSP 1.10 there are issues with parts that have more than one module trying to provide procedural drag cubes. For instance a deployable solar panel module + a generic animation module etc.

Can be solved by deleting all but one of the modules, loading the game, finding the drag cube in partdatabase.cfg and then defining it manually in the cfg. After that it should work fine with the other modules added in.

Gonna take a stab as asking for help here. Below is a video that shows how the surveyor probe is broken for me in multiple 1.8.1 installs, in a really weird way. Its attachment points seem to be corrupted upon saving/loading a craft file. I'm sort of stumped here ... not even sure how to investigate this, or where to look. This is the same Probes+ I've had installed forever (the most recent release), but something is causing problems with this part. I have multiple 1.8.1 installs, and though I haven't  changed Probes+, I do update BDB and MLP regularly from the dev branches, but that's all that ever changes in these installs. 

A moving picture is worth 1000 words ...

Spoiler

I don't know if this happens elsewhere yet, I figured I'd start with a 100% reproducible case and see what I can find. If you've read this far maybe you're a kind soul who would upload a craft file with only the core (with legs) part in it saved from your game, and then I'll compare your craft file to mine and see if there are any obvious differences. Idk what else to try!

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

A moving picture is worth 1000 words ...

From that example, I can tell that the node has rotated 90 degrees (towards X+ I think) but I cannot figure out the cause. It's gotta be something about the way the game saves that node's info but it's just a standard node declaration so I don't know why the other top node is fine.

9 hours ago, akron said:

From that example, I can tell that the node has rotated 90 degrees (towards X+ I think) but I cannot figure out the cause. It's gotta be something about the way the game saves that node's info but it's just a standard node declaration so I don't know why the other top node is fine.

Thank you so much for taking a look. I'm not sure yet if the problem happens in the saved file, or if it happens upon load. I guess the logical thing is to create a new 1.8.1 that's empty except P+ (and req) and make sure it's fine there, and then start adding in some of the other mods I update on a regular basis and see if anything happens.

I feel like I'm losin it ... it still happens like the video with an install shown below. Firespitter has an empty Parts folder, but everything else the same as your release zip. Should I try eliminating something else from here?

I've put my log and craft file on my gdrive below.  I just loaded the lander, saved it as test, and this is that file. When I load it, the node is broken. If you had a free moment to look at the craft file I would really appreciate it! I don't know if anything can be learned from it, especially if I'm having some weird runtime problem where the craft gets corrupted on load. Surely that's a possibility too? 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gtPtFUSMldPWZwzfKyer2EivYPLbyVBn?usp=sharing

jtC2lGF.png

edit: sorry, the dmagic folder is newer than your distribution, too.

edit #2: ok through Steam I reinstalled 1.9.1 (diff version) and with only your 3 distribution folders and the 2 squad folders, same results. I'm so confused because I've used this part hundreds of times and this seems like it just started happening, which doesn't seem possible.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
dmagic update

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, SovietGamer said:

when i tried to load ksp it stuck in a part (i dont remember).

PD: ifound the resolution,thk anyway

What was the part? People were having issues with the Telescope

Would be good to get some more info

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I have checked back through the thread, and I am not sure, but will this work with 1.10? If I am interpreting this correctly, there seems to be issues. Thanks for helping a newbie.

Yes, it works but there are some issues. Looks like the biggest one if the IUE Telescope not loading due to some drag cube shenanigans. There's also some hinkyness with DMOS scienceDef. I am hoping to fix these this weekend. If you do get drag cube errors, delete the Telescope part cfg for now until I can smack the bugs back into submission.

46 minutes ago, akron said:

Yes, it works but there are some issues. Looks like the biggest one if the IUE Telescope not loading due to some drag cube shenanigans. There's also some hinkyness with DMOS scienceDef. I am hoping to fix these this weekend. If you do get drag cube errors, delete the Telescope part cfg for now until I can smack the bugs back into submission.

Thanks Akron. I will wait a bit before I download it. Still feeling my way through BDB so no sweat for now. Thanks for the detective work in getting it debugged!

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, Zorg said:

Post KSP 1.10 there are issues with parts that have more than one module trying to provide procedural drag cubes. For instance a deployable solar panel module + a generic animation module etc.

Can be solved by deleting all but one of the modules, loading the game, finding the drag cube in partdatabase.cfg and then defining it manually in the cfg. After that it should work fine with the other modules added in.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:32 PM, akron said:

I am trying to move some installs to 1.10.1, and didn't want to delete these parts, so I had a go at this. Without this change, startup would hang on ca_explorer and once that was fixed, it would hang on ca_explorer_solar.

Below are changes that fix this on my 1.10.1 install. These changes come from following Zorg's instructions above - I would have had no idea how to do this otherwise. 

Full disclaimer: I don't understand these values or the KSP drag system enough to say I've tested them and they work great. I have no idea if they're "right" or not, but considering the source and the results, I thought I'd share this workaround until something more official becomes available. This fixes the startup hang for both parts, and they still load fine in the VAB:

Spoiler

Both cfg files are in GameData\Coatl Aerospace\ProbesPlus\Parts\Telescopes

For explorer.cfg, this dragcube node gets added:

DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 1.379,0.8043,0.5584, 1.379,0.8043,0.5584, 0.6561,0.9721,2.634, 0.6561,0.8119,1.419, 1.422,0.7996,0.7544, 1.422,0.7927,0.7692, 0,0.2845,-0.04532, 0.9212,2.541,1.057
    }

For explorer_solar.cfg, this dragcube gets added:

DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = RETRACTED, 0.3043,0.7111,0.705, 0.3043,0.7124,0.5427, 0.1088,0.98,0.7872, 0.06048,0.9696,0.4658, 0.8615,0.7828,0.3776, 0.8615,0.8175,0.3525, 0,0.4667,0.05793, 0.8896,0.9878,0.2912
        cube = EXTENDED_A, 0.3497,0.7297,0.705, 0.3497,0.728,0.5427, 0.876,0.816,0.3776, 0.8615,0.829,0.418, 0.1354,0.6917,0.202, 0.2347,0.8185,1.145, 0,0.113,-0.5025, 0.8896,0.2912,1.026
        cube = EXTENDED_B, 0.3497,0.7297,0.705, 0.3497,0.728,0.5427, 0.876,0.816,0.3776, 0.8615,0.829,0.418, 0.1354,0.6917,0.202, 0.2347,0.8185,1.145, 0,0.113,-0.5025, 0.8896,0.2912,1.026
    }

50 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Are the Scansat-compatible parts in this mod compatible with the current Scansat scanning devices, like the visual scanning devices and different radars?

Not 100%, there are a couple of quirks due to the new ScanSat stuff.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:33 AM, akron said:

From that example, I can tell that the node has rotated 90 degrees (towards X+ I think) but I cannot figure out the cause.

Hello again, I have more info about this. I have moved to 1.10.1 and what my earlier video shows still happens, but I have found something new. Fully disclosure: I only know this "fixes" the problem on my system, I don't know what else it breaks, but maybe this will give you a clue. I noticed the orbiter version and the lander version have the same node layout in the VAB, but the orbiter version works, and the lander has the problem shown in the video. So I compared the cfg's and found that the lander has an extra node called "mast" that the orbiter doesn't have. Removing that cfg node fixes the issue shown in the video I posted. Any ideas?

Hey guys! My KSP version stops launching on Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Parts/Telescopes/explorer_solar/ca_explorer_solar  and when looking for the file manually I am unable to locate it. Any ideas how to fix this? I can provide log if needed. 

Edited by reviest

13 hours ago, reviest said:

Hey guys! My KSP version stops launching on Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Parts/Telescopes/explorer_solar/ca_explorer_solar  and when looking for the file manually I am unable to locate it. Any ideas how to fix this? I can provide log if needed. 

Read the last few posts . It is not compatible with 1.10 and above .

Github Repository Patch Update

• Integrated BDB and DM science patches (By Bellabong)
  • Corrected Load error for IUE Solar Panel on KSP v1.10.1.2939

Download Here. Click on the green "Code" Button and download the Zip

Test Install:

Spoiler

Kerbal Space Program - 1.10.1.2939

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.1.4.0
DMagic v1.4.3.0 / vv1.4.3.0
Firespitter v7.3.7287.12431
SCANsat v1.20.4.0 / vv20.4
SCANsat.Unity v1.20.4.0
scatterer v0.632.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35

Folders and files in GameData:
Coatl Aerospace
DMagicOrbitalScience
Firespitter
SCANsat
scatterer
Stock folder: Squad

Remember to download the repository Zip and not the Beta 0.16.1 release

Edited by akron

On 10/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Removing that cfg node fixes the issue shown in the video I posted. Any ideas?

Well, yes. That is the node for the mast mount. Removing it fixes it but you won't have a way to attach the mast at the correct location. You'll have to attach it to the "Top" node and offset it manually. It also won't trigger the mast support struts to be visible.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:07 PM, alberro+ said:

Was about to ask this, shouldn't be too hard to fix it?

No, but I have to familiarize myself with the new SCANsat changes. I don't play KSP regularly anymore so it will take me a little bit. I'm trying to get all the mod files updated now, starting with the 1.10 patch yesterday

Edited by akron

2 hours ago, akron said:

You'll have to attach it to the "Top" node and offset it manually. It also won't trigger the mast support struts to be visible.

I appreciate your patience as I attempt to explain this better. What you've said makes perfect sense, but I think I wasn't clear enough.

Removing the 'mast' node from the lander version (which doesn't exist in the orbiter version anyway) completely fixes what I showed in the above video. By that what I mean is that in the VAB,  both top nodes still appear, the solar panel will attach to the correct node, the struts appear, and saving and loading the craft results in the solar panel still being exactly where it should be. I.e. the opposite of what I showed in the above video. I could make a video of it working correctly, but you already know what that looks like. :P  

So I understand what you've said above about removing a node breaking functionality, but what I'm seeing on my system is that removing the cfg node fixes the broken functionality.

I don't know enough about the relationship between what's stored in the model and what the CFG says. So if you say that the 'mast' node in landv_core.cfg is correct, and it's also correct that it's not in landv_orbiter_core.cfg, then I'll put it back and look elsewhere for a different solution.