[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

On 1/23/2021 at 2:52 PM, Russekof71 said:

Hello, is this mod compatible with RSS / RO in 1.8.1? thank you in advance

I use Probes Plus with RSS/RO/RP-1 in KSP 1.8.1, some of the parts are configured for it but some are not or are poorly balanced (massively overpriced in some cases, overweight or underpowered in others). Probably best to either ignore those that don't work properly, or delete them from the GameData folders entirely.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

I use Probes Plus with RSS/RO/RP-1 in KSP 1.8.1, some of the parts are configured for it but some are not or are poorly balanced (massively overpriced in some cases, overweight or underpowered in others). Probably best to either ignore those that don't work properly, or delete them from the GameData folders entirely.

Yes, I don't play RSS/RO and I haven't really gotten into understanding the stat changes for balance. I have to rely on RSS modders to write configs for my mod

On 1/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, MaeharaProjekt said:

@akron As always, I love what you have been doing with Probes Plus and glad that you are still with us! Enjoy a coffee or whatever, my treat!

Cheers! I have  plenty of work to do still, but the support is appreciated. I've got a bit of catching up to do with recent KSP updates

On 1/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Tell me which parts are overpriced and Ill change them for RP-1. I am currently adding a ton of parts to RP-1.

4 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

Tell me which parts are overpriced and Ill change them for RP-1. I am currently adding a ton of parts to RP-1.

CA reaction wheels are really underpowered compared to the first 'stock' RW- for example the CA RW4 reaction wheel costs 60 funds, uses 60 Watts and produces a mere 0.0006 torque compared to the stock small inline reaction wheel which costs 250 funds, uses 100 Watts but produces 0.1 torque (over 150 times more!). The RW4-A triple reaction wheel costs 250 funds, uses 180 Watts and produces a mere 0.0018 torque which makes it drastically less effective than the similarly priced stock option. While the Coatl RWs are a lot smaller and lighter, they're drastically less powerful and could probably do with a bit more oomph.

Quite a few other parts such as antennae and probe cores seem to be priced as they are in stock KSP which makes them very expensive in RP-1. The combined solar panel/antenna for the Surveyor lander and a few other antennae aren't configured right for RealAntennas either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

I have been doing some back-end prep work on the mod (Yay!). So I wanted to post, as it has been a while, to assure that the mod is not dead (Yay!)

I am actually looking to see if anyone will be willing to partner to work on modernizing a lot of the more dated components of the mod, in particular the use of older modules and configs. I basically need help tightening up the part cfgs and improving compatibility with newer mods, along with balancing and a just better overall integration and testing. Some parts may need updated models and/or textures, which I can still continue to do, but it would be very nice to get fresh eyes looking to improve other aspects.  First couple of goals will be compatibility of science parts with the updated DMOS mod and SCANsat, along with other science mods and start to prepare to remove Firespitter as a part/texture switching dependency.

I am unfortunately still incredibly busy, so I cannot really take on training anyone on how to work on part config. It would be nice to have some help working on configs and bug fixing so I can concentrate on just models and textures. I still intend on doing the 3D model work, but if you are interested in working on adding parts as well, all the better! There are a couple of part lines that I may just not get to without help. 

Interested Kerbonauts can send me a PM. More info to come soon.

~cheers

35 minutes ago, memeking89 said:

is there going to be a 1.11 version

probably, why not? eventually, since the mod is not dead it will come I woul say

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to help, but I can only model and I fear texturing :(

Just wanted to pop in and comment that, while I haven't been playing KSP much in a while and I've been gone from these forums for the better part of 2+ years or so (children have a way of eating up free time), whenever I DO come back to KSP (as I have again lately, inspired by the latest Mars probe mission), I still consider this mod to be absolutely fundamental to my enjoyment of KSP, and I am exceedingly pleased to find it still under active development.

Thank you, @akron, and keep up the good great amazing work!

@akron still not sure how to find the words but just wanted to say THANK YOU again for basically the best probe mod in the whole KSP community!  

Thanks a lot also for the SSL-1300 satellite bus, I've been hoping for more commercial satellite parts to be available in KSP mods and that just made my day, as simple as it sounds!  Your mod + Nertea's Near future packs (esp. Solar, Electric and Exploration) complement each other very well and make for the best probes and satellites!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:10 AM, akron said:

Hey all, I am still trying to make time to do more throughout testing of the Mod in KSP 1.10, but please continue to report any issues.

UPDATE

Began UV and texture work on the Spartan lander (Viking). Before getting so far as to do AO bakes, I started laying out the wiring for it. It's been challenging but fun. I decided to do two versions of the bus. First will be the default Viking skin with all the appropriate bits and wiring. This will be less flexible but there is just no way to do justice to this unique spacecraft without using less generic parts, similar to how I had to do with Cassini. I will also make a stripped-down version of the bus in stock grey that you guys can build more custom landers with.

I still need to do more work on the propellant lines and all the engine wiring harness. I probably will not do the detailed propellant lines and valve wiring because it's just too damn complex. The current harness is abstracted enough as it is.

~cheers

pkBAfoc.png

H1T3vN8.png

ie9jQp3.png

Was the mod still being worked on ? Has he been shelved ? This mod seen no updates in long time ? ; Sorry for my poor understanding of English , it is not the native language

1 minute ago, golkaidakhaana said:

Was the mod still being worked on ? Has he been shelved ? This mod seen no updates in long time ? ; Sorry for my poor understanding of English , it is not the native language

Yes, if you see my post just above on this page, you'll see development is ongoing but slow. I am asking for assistance to hopefully help speed up the dev process. 

Always be sure to check out the last few posts for updates and info

4 minutes ago, golkaidakhaana said:

^

As the creator said a few posts above, he is busy. 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

On 3/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, akron said:

Always be sure to check out the last few posts for updates and info

Dear person without whose work I would not enjoy KSP as much, I have a small question/suggestion for some future update, if I may. The Fomalhaut heat shield appears in the Aerodynamics node in the tech tree. Wondering what you'd think about that living in the Landing category? All other heat shields I have are on the landing row, and the Aerodynamics category is all plane parts. (Just realized I'm using the CTT, btw).

19 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Dear person without whose work I would not enjoy KSP as much, I have a small question/suggestion for some future update, if I may. The Fomalhaut heat shield appears in the Aerodynamics node in the tech tree. Wondering what you'd think about that living in the Landing category? All other heat shields I have are on the landing row, and the Aerodynamics category is all plane parts. (Just realized I'm using the CTT, btw).

Hey, thank you for the compliment!

I'd place my parts in whatever category stock parts are. If those have now moved to Landing, then I should probably follow suit. Thanks for the heads up

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone using Coatl ProbesPlus...
I just finished the B9PartSwitch support. Firespitter can now be dumped as a Coatl dependency, tho its still supported, and is used by default, until you actually remove Firespitter...then B9 will take over

DONT USE THIS ON AN IMPORTANT SAVED GAME, YET!! ... Wait to see if anyone posts about any problems. If anyone tries it, with no problems other than what's noted in the commit comments, PLEASE reply with that feedbac also, so Akron knows its good to go for inclusion in the next release package.

Get it here if anyone wants to try it:
https://github.com/raveloda/Coatl-Aerospace
Read the commit comments! theres a couple minor issues y'all should note
Its not packaged as a release, so you have to download using the green "Code" button, and select "Download ZIP". Note that this isnt usually the way to download releases from Github.
It also does NOT include the latest release of B9PartSwitch, which has to be downloaded/installed seperately.
Note that B9 switching does not apply while Firespitter is installed. You have to remove its folder from GameData.
NOTE that this will kill any other mods you have installed, that require/use Firespitter.

Feedbacc/criticism welcome.
K' Thanx...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 1 month later...