[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

I forgot to post another part update. Remake of the early tech panels.

Any thoughts on having the Cold gas thrusters and/or solar pressure vane on these panels? I may keep those unique to Mariner parts unless you guys would like to use them with these.

xWEt8kl.png

The main reason for the touch up on these older parts is for art changes to be more compatible with other mods. I don't like that it removes a bit of the identity and uniqueness of them, but I think the trade off pays off. I will probably not be doing any more texture or foil toggles.

One more reminder! I am looking for collaboration partners. If you are interested in working with me to either finish the old part refreshes, or complete some of the unfinished projects. Please let me know via PM. It is preferred that you have some experience as I have limited time to be able to show someone how to model/texture, but assistance is welcome even with cfg, balancing, and other mod compatibility. "Beta" testing is open to everyone  through Github.

~cheers

Edited by akron

7 minutes ago, Brainpop14 said:

Any word on 1.12.2 compatibility yet?

Depends...

Surveyor has a glitch with its engines that I do not know how to fix so I may just have to wait until it's due for a remake. I believe there is a glitch with the Cassini magnetometer foil cover toggle. Other than these visual issues, it should be compatible with 1.12.x

Please be sure to download the correct "latest" version from the Github repo:

FD7wOes.png

On 4/29/2020 at 1:09 AM, akron said:

Good to hear! Thanks

I appreciate you checking and reporting back

UPDATE

First pass on the new Barquetta bus. You're losing the 6-axis RCS control in favor of new MR-103D styled clusters and as you can see, it is slightly larger and heavier. About 25% or so for balancing reasons. I'll also look into a "light" version of it that isn't so tall. 

kbpUw43.png

JQp6DLy.png

Just a question. Is the "light" version of the Q02M Barchetta live? Or is just this version? 

1 hour ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

Just a question. Is the "light" version of the Q02M Barchetta live? Or is just this version? 

The grey probe on the left in the replacement version. Yes, it should be live

I am running 1.11.2 and recently upgraded to KSRSS (x2.5 scale). I can't seem to find the right parameters to land the Surveyor on the moon. When should I start the solid motor retro fire?  If I start above 55K I run out of fuel on the verniers too high above the surface. If I start below 40K the craft won't slow down fast enough and it crashes. My starting velocity is about 1150 m/s. It seems as if I don't have enough delta V to slow down. Using MechJeb.

Any suggestions? I know it has to be possible somehow.

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I am running 1.11.2 and recently upgraded to KSRSS (x2.5 scale). I can't seem to find the right parameters to land the Surveyor on the moon. When should I start the solid motor retro fire?  If I start above 55K I run out of fuel on the verniers too high above the surface. If I start below 40K the craft won't slow down fast enough and it crashes. My starting velocity is about 1150 m/s. It seems as if I don't have enough delta V to slow down. Using MechJeb.

Any suggestions? I know it has to be possible somehow.

I don't think the original balances for this mod were done with 2.5x in mind, as I had the same experience. My solution was the increase the amount of fuel in the SRM.

Here's me doing it in JNSQ.

Spoiler

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
added vid

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I don't think the original balances for this mod were done with 2.5x in mind, as I had the same experience. My solution was the increase the amount of fuel in the SRM.

Here's me doing it in JNSQ.

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting. How does one increase the amount of fuel in the SRM? It’s already at the highest amount. Tweakables?

5 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Interesting. How does one increase the amount of fuel in the SRM? It’s already at the highest amount. Tweakables?

I think maybe with a MM patch to increase the total propellant capacity.

@OrbitalManeuvers is correct in that the Mod is balanced-ish for stock KSP on a stock scale. I never play with scale mods and don't know how to configure parts for those. My apologies! 

9 hours ago, akron said:

I think maybe with a MM patch to increase the total propellant capacity.

@OrbitalManeuvers is correct in that the Mod is balanced-ish for stock KSP on a stock scale. I never play with scale mods and don't know how to configure parts for those. My apologies! 

No sweat @akron. This is still a great mod. I enjoy flying the Surveyor and had several cool missions with it in my Stock game. I will get it figured out for x2.5. 

3 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I will get it figured out for x2.5.

If you learn how to do it the right way - a MM patch that lives in your own custom folder and targets just that part if it's installed - I'd love to see your solution. I did it the wrong way because I was in a hurry and just needed to film/test something. The wrong way is to edit the part cfg file directly, which is what I did at the time, and then overwrote it when I grabbed the latest changes from github. I think in the end I had a value that was like 3x the original value, but that's not a calculated value, that's a "I just need more for now" value. Balancing real-world hardware for KSP seems like a nightmare to me.

11 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

If you learn how to do it the right way - a MM patch that lives in your own custom folder and targets just that part if it's installed - I'd love to see your solution. I did it the wrong way because I was in a hurry and just needed to film/test something. The wrong way is to edit the part cfg file directly, which is what I did at the time, and then overwrote it when I grabbed the latest changes from github. I think in the end I had a value that was like 3x the original value, but that's not a calculated value, that's a "I just need more for now" value. Balancing real-world hardware for KSP seems like a nightmare to me.

It has been a while since I've had to make new cfgs and MM patches, but I "think" this would work:

@PART[ca_landv_srm]:FOR[CoatlAerospace]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SolidFuel
		amount = 51
		maxAmount = 51
	}
}

3x the Solid Fuel cap

11 hours ago, akron said:

It has been a while since I've had to make new cfgs and MM patches, but I "think" this would work:

@PART[ca_landv_srm]:FOR[CoatlAerospace]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SolidFuel
		amount = 51
		maxAmount = 51
	}
}

3x the Solid Fuel cap

After considering what @OrbitalManeuverssaid above, that is exactly what I did! I set the amounts to 50, but adjusted it down to 42 in the VAB. Worked like a charm after a couple of tries to figure the proper altitude to begin the retro fire.  52k worked pretty good. 

Pushed a very WIP hacky fix for the Cassini magnetometer to address its mesh toggle.

Foil textures for it *only* are now using the new KSP semi-PBR shaders. Looks good, IMHO. Cassini foil re-work is next. These are not new models or textures, just literally re-working how they are set up.

5iJshsN.png

Now on Github Repo

Update

More pushes to Github. New foil shaders added to several parts. STEREO, Mariner, and a couple of science parts. Again, no new model or textures. 

B9Part Switch only. I only updated those configs, not Firespitter's and I may deprecate FS altogether

59AY0iy.png

VbVNt7f.png

Q9a7Dpq.png

Edited by akron

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, akron said:

The grey probe on the left in the replacement version. Yes, it should be live

I think i didn't understand. As i understood, there will be two versions of the Barchetta: the one on the picture and a shorter one. Are they in the new version? That's because i have a lot of kitbashed satellites using Barchetta as base (a lot like the Russian Express 1000N/K/AT satellites), and in a certain type of rocket, i can have three of them on a single launch.

Edited by Yuriy Istochnikov

Anyone able to help? I'm having issues with getting the mod into the game; parts won't load in the part list, and the mod doesn't show up in Janitor's Closet.

I'm on version 1.12.2, downloading from the Github source code (Coatl-Aerospace-main). I have Firespitter and all other dependencies for the mod. I put the Coatl Aerospace folder into KSP, and when I load it, none of the parts show up. I've tried taking some folders out and putting them into GameData separately, I've tried reinstalling several times, but it hasn't worked at all. 

18 hours ago, FlightSimJeronimo said:

Anyone able to help? I'm having issues with getting the mod into the game; parts won't load in the part list, and the mod doesn't show up in Janitor's Closet.

I'm on version 1.12.2, downloading from the Github source code (Coatl-Aerospace-main). I have Firespitter and all other dependencies for the mod. I put the Coatl Aerospace folder into KSP, and when I load it, none of the parts show up. I've tried taking some folders out and putting them into GameData separately, I've tried reinstalling several times, but it hasn't worked at all. 

The zip file you get from Github isn't a regular release zip file, so you'll need to locate the GameData folder within the zip file. Once there, you want the contents of that zip folder (which should be just more folders) to go into your GameData folder. In this case there will be 3, and one of them will be GameData\Coatl Aerospace. The other two are dependencies. You'll also probably need modulemanger if this is your first mod.

• 2 weeks later...