[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

@DaveyJ576 ok... as to your patch, theres only two things it would/could be... One is if the cameraTransformName is incorrect, and I'm not sure if the quotes in the cameraCustomTitle field is acceptable or not... otherwise it would normally work, *however*:

Having said that.... I just checked the part model, and NC (or *any* camera mod), currently cant be used with that part. It has NO transform in the part model which could be used as a camera transform.
For future reference, if you're not familiar with Blender, the best way to find out if there *is* a transform in the model that can be used, as well as its actual transform name, is to install either DebugStuff or Kerbal Object Inspector. Those mods will display every object and a list of their names (contents), of a part model, right in-game.

I have a few of the ProbesPlus part patches for NC already done or started. I never finished it, because I going for as close to IRL types & specs for the cameras, which was a *lot* of research & time... Also, my main focus at the time was the ProbesPlus conversion from Firespitter to B9PartSwitch, not NC...
Also, IIRC, at the time, Akron told me not to worry about doing anything with the GroundOps stuff, as he was planning a revamp for all that anyway.

Edited by Stone Blue

5 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

which was a *lot* of research & time

I found this out when trying to do the first round of BDB configs for NC. It quickly became a decision between get all of them working with suuuuper basic params, or get 3 working with params that would stand up to anyone's scrutiny (a nice dream).  Thankfully they've been redone or enhanced or whatever, but this investigation can turn into a huge time sink because it's a ton of digging.

16 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

It quickly became a decision between get all of them working with suuuuper basic params, or get 3 working with params that would stand up to anyone's scrutiny (a nice dream). 

Yup... but if you go with basic, "just get it working" parameters, and not even semi-realistic.... then you have, like, a slew of parts that basically have the same functionailty, which kinda dilutes & detracts from the whole point of *having* all those different camera parts :P

Since NC compatability came up, and I probably wont be getting bac to it anytime Soon, I'll throw my started work/patches and the spreadsheet I was working off, that had some of the research i dug up, on my GoogleDrive, to share, if anyone decides to pic up where I left off... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, having a pretty serious issue with the Landvermesser probe in the current version of KSP.  I might be running an outdated version, so I'm going to check that pretty quick, but I loaded the most recent release of the pre-built probe, launched it with the BDB Atlas-Centaur D and then decoupled it only to find that 1 vernier engine was properly placed, 1 was in the center of the ship pointing 90* off (to the side), and the other was missing altogether.  Tried re-doing the flight 3 times with similar issues.  So, I tried loading the saved ship and then re-attaching the vernier engines using 3x symmetry instead of individually placing (as was apparently done with the saved ship).  Same result.

Also, I'm unable to stage the engines.  Every time I try to stage them, the SRB fires instead.

Also, the SRB has an issue because it simply tumbles uncontrollably and the SafeSolid shutoff does *not* work.

Any help/ideas?  I'm going to update from GitHub, but I am not looking forward to a 6th attempt at this.

8 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Okay, having a pretty serious issue with the Landvermesser probe in the current version of KSP. 

I had this problem as well. You didn't mention if the antenna is having an issue, too - but I think you'll find that if you place the core, then the antenna, then save it, then re-open it, the antenna will have lost its support struts, and the node it's attached to is now broken. If you take off the antenna you won't be able to attach it again. This was in addition to the verniers randomly moving around as you noted.

I found something that fixes it on my machine, and I can share it with you with the normal caveat: it's not a good idea to change a mod's files directly. I didn't know how to do this with an external patch, so here's the brute force method that works on my installs. Idk if it will work for anyone else, and I don't recommend following my advice ;) . But this is what makes it work for me:

Spoiler

In landv_core.cfg you need to delete the entire node called "mast". For reference, look at the node definitions in the orbiter core. It seemed to me that the two parts are supposed to be the same at least on the top, and yet the lander core has this extra node in it. Since I was having problems with the antenna, and noticed this difference, it's what I tried. Like I say, it works for me, despite losing a node I guess? (that I haven't missed or even noticed).

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
grammicus editus maximus glutenfreeicus

14 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Also, I'm unable to stage the engines.  Every time I try to stage them, the SRB fires instead

Looking at the vernier cfg, it *looks* lie they are not set up for staging.... SO, this would be normal behaviour that the SRB would fire, when you stage

14 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Also, the SRB has an issue because it simply tumbles uncontrollably and the SafeSolid shutoff does *not* work

Chec the lander_srm.cfg... does this line say true or false?
        allowShutdown = True

Also, you didnt specify which core part you are using: the lander core, or the orbiter core?... same with which antenna?

Ok, so I briefly skimmed the orbiter version pre-built .craft file, and I do see some oddities & inconsistencies related to the mast & verniers in there.

Sadly, the pre-built craft files are *quite* old... I know i have never checked them out to see whther they work or not with newer release of the mod.

If you are having these issues with any of the pre-builts, I would suggest just recreating the craft yourself from the ground-up (no pun intended).

Edited by Stone Blue

14 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I had this problem as well.

Hide contents

In landv_core.cfg you need to delete the entire node called "mast". For reference, look at the node definitions in the orbiter core. It seemed to me that the two parts are supposed to be the same at least on the top, and yet the lander core has this extra node in it. Since I was having problems with the antenna, and noticed this difference, it's what I tried. Like I say, it works for me, despite losing a node I guess? (that I haven't missed or even noticed).

I've tried this and I'll see if it fixes it.  I did delete the 2nd antenna (which was superfluous anyway).

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Looking at the vernier cfg, it *looks* lie they are not set up for staging.... SO, this would be normal behaviour that the SRB would fire, when you stage

Chec the lander_srm.cfg... does this line say true or false?
        allowShutdown = True

Also, you didnt specify which core part you are using: the lander core, or the orbiter core?... same with which antenna?

Ok, so I briefly skimmed the orbiter version pre-built .craft file, and I do see some oddities & inconsistencies related to the mast & verniers in there.

Sadly, the pre-built craft files are *quite* old... I know i have never checked them out to see whther they work or not with newer release of the mod.

If you are having these issues with any of the pre-builts, I would suggest just recreating the craft yourself from the ground-up (no pun intended).

Yes, it says "true".

I'm using the lander for Surveyor 1 right now.  I'm also using the new prebuilt craft that was uploaded in February by Friznit, not the ones on the thread.  They have the same problem though.

@OrbitalManeuvers @CAPFlyer

Hey. I also have not updated the craft files or checked them, so yes, this could be weird behavior were you just need to build your own version.

The symmetry issue I thought was resolved, if it was not even when building it yourself in the VAB, let me know and I can look at it again. Do make sure you're using the latest version of the files. I don't think there was a fix for the antenna struts though.

SRB was not set up to have SolidSafeTM Technology on it, if memory serves. If this is something you think it needs, I can add it. To be honest, Surveyor in general required some weird compromises to get it to work in KSP and also be easy to assemble. As always, in my pursuit to make parts more generic rather just replicas, some things just ended up working a bit strangely. Let me know your thoughts on it.

Edited by akron

On 5/23/2022 at 11:56 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Anyone tested this in 1.12.3 yet? Edit: I just did and it does not work at all. I hope this gets updated soon, I love this mod so much.

Uhh, yes it does, I'm using it right now...

7 minutes ago, Brainpop14 said:

Still didn't work, I do have all the dependencies as well. Here's the log file https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vodsnr1omrla73/Player.log/file

Please double double check that you are using the Github Repo.

Here's a temporary link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngdnw7a3p1xty39/Coatl-Aerospace-master.zip?dl=0

EDIT: A brief scan of your log shows that you do not have the latest version. See above

Edited by akron

Found this mod via the RP-1 wiki. Great work.

What is missing for KCAN to recognize this as 1.12-compatible, since it works normally according to the answers above? Any help needed with that?

Cheers!

@akronI tried making the Landvermesser probe last night and had the same problem with the vernier engines not staying in place.  I'm using the latest github repo version.  I tried placing them with symmetry and individually but they always move on scene switch.  When I go back to the VAB and load the saved probe they are in the wrong place in the save as well.  Running latest KSP version.

@Stone BlueYes I read through that before I posted.  I didn't use any craft files, just made my own from scratch and still had the problem with the verniers.  I didn't see anything mentioned above that solved it and nothing I tried worked.  I didn't have any problems with anything on the top node, at least not that I could see.  Akron mentioned that there had been a problem with the verniers he thought he had fixed so I figured I would mention my problem because there still seems to be something weird with the verniers staying in place.  Have you used them with no problems?  Maybe another mod I have is messing up something.  Thanks for the response.

6 hours ago, Dave7 said:

@Stone BlueYes I read through that before I posted.  I didn't use any craft files, just made my own from scratch and still had the problem with the verniers.  I didn't see anything mentioned above that solved it and nothing I tried worked.  I didn't have any problems with anything on the top node, at least not that I could see.  Akron mentioned that there had been a problem with the verniers he thought he had fixed so I figured I would mention my problem because there still seems to be something weird with the verniers staying in place.  Have you used them with no problems?  Maybe another mod I have is messing up something.  Thanks for the response.

I will look at the configs for Surveyor parts again, but given that @Invaderchaos is working on an updated version  for BDB, I don't think it makes sense to try and redo the Surveyor parts to fix it. You may soon have a nicer quality version of the lander anyway.

8 hours ago, Dave7 said:

I didn't see anything mentioned above that solved it and nothing I tried worked. 

you tried the small edit I suggested? i had the exact same symptoms as you, and it fixes it for me.

I'm anxious to see InvaderChaos' work, too - though that'll make my 3rd surveyor. US Probes has a version as well, which is entirely designed for RSS/RO, but the configs work out semi-OK for 2.5x, too (if you don't mind way too much dV). I definitely prefer this one, but it's good to know what's out there.

OrbitalManeuvers - I'll try your edit and see if that does the trick.  I had misread that and thought it was only for the antenna problem.  Thanks for the tip.

Akron - thanks for the response.  I wasn't aware of the new version coming in BDB.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful replies.