[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

Upcoming Mod Dev changes

Hello all. Thank you all for your continued feedback and support. I need to announce a development change for the Mod.

As you may know, I have been rather brutally slowly updating older parts to a higher def standard. The BDB team has also been in the process of adding higher res versions of keystone US/NASA Probe mission parts, just check out @Invaderchaos's phenomenal Pioneer 10, Kepler, and Mariner line of parts, plus other upcoming projects. So after discussion, we agreed that it made sense to work cooperatively to bring my planned mission parts and remakes over to BDB, where they can coexist with the set of Launch Vehicles, Upper Stages, SRBs, etc. that launched these historic spacecraft. I will thus be joining their Dev team and continue to work on Probe parts alongside their other projects. 

The most immediate effect is that the Viking mission will now be released under BDB once completed. I am back in active development of the Viking parts, please keep an eye out on the BDB Thread for an update soon. Other part remakes, such as Voyager, Cassini, STEREO, etc. may also eventually transition over to BDB.

What does this mean for the ProbesPlus Mod?

I am currently not sure. I will continue to attempt to fix any bugs and issues, so support will continue. I am also thinking about working on generic or loosely inspired parts that do not fit within BDB's US-based theme. This could mean other countries probe missions could get some attention, such as additional Russian, ESA, JAXA, or ISRO missions, as well as private sector satellites similar to my most recent SSL-1300 inspired "Barça" bus. I am open to suggestions and ideas but right now I am fully invested on finishing Viking for BDB and will have plenty of time to find some direction for the Mod.

~cheers

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This MRO is such MRO  incredibly MRO  good news!!

Thanks! Given that MRO is a NASA mission, that would also be a better fit for BDB. I would like to give some love the the forgotten or infamous MCO.

But what I *could* do is ExoMars'  TGO/Schiaparelli -> Kazachok/Rosalind Franklin though it is my understanding that KSP wheels are hell. I don't want it to turn into an ESA Probes pack but there are a lot of good missions to draw from. Maybe Ulysses since I did do its HGA antenna already and it does need updating.

@akron this this a good pairing. Both mods should benefit from the cross-mojo between the teams. I have used Probes Plus for quite a while and have always enjoyed it, and BDB is a staple of my set up. I am looking forward to great things from this team up! Its kind of like the Avengers of the KSP modding world! :kiss:

Edited by DaveyJ576

18 hours ago, akron said:

Upcoming Mod Dev changes

Hello all. Thank you all for your continued feedback and support. I need to announce a development change for the Mod.

As you may know, I have been rather brutally slowly updating older parts to a higher def standard. The BDB team has also been in the process of adding higher res versions of keystone US/NASA Probe mission parts, just check out @Invaderchaos's phenomenal Pioneer 10, Kepler, and Mariner line of parts, plus other upcoming projects. So after discussion, we agreed that it made sense to work cooperatively to bring my planned mission parts and remakes over to BDB, where they can coexist with the set of Launch Vehicles, Upper Stages, SRBs, etc. that launched these historic spacecraft. I will thus be joining their Dev team and continue to work on Probe parts alongside their other projects. 

The most immediate effect is that the Viking mission will now be released under BDB once completed. I am back in active development of the Viking parts, please keep an eye out on the BDB Thread for an update soon. Other part remakes, such as Voyager, Cassini, STEREO, etc. may also eventually transition over to BDB.

I am currently not sure. I will continue to attempt to fix any bugs and issues, so support will continue. I am also thinking about working on generic or loosely inspired parts that do not fit within BDB's US-based theme. This could mean other countries probe missions could get some attention, such as additional Russian, ESA, JAXA, or ISRO missions, as well as private sector satellites similar to my most recent SSL-1300 inspired "Barça" bus. I am open to suggestions and ideas but right now I am fully invested on finishing Viking for BDB and will have plenty of time to find some direction for the Mod.

~cheers

Glad to hear of the partnership (through the BDB thread).  You have some phenomenal stuff and I have used your mod in many builds over the years.  Looking forward to more great news!

21 hours ago, akron said:

Upcoming Mod Dev changes

~cheers

I wasn't aware @Invaderchaosreleased Kepler? Never saw it or see it in game :(

Just now, NateDaBeast said:

I wasn't aware @Invaderchaosreleased Kepler? Never saw it or see it in game :(

Kepler and Mariner parts are in progress.

2 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Glad to hear of the partnership (through the BDB thread).  You have some phenomenal stuff and I have used your mod in many builds over the years.  Looking forward to more great news!

Thank you! I'll have some new stuff for this Mod as well soon enough

16 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@akron this this a good pairing. Both mods should benefit from the cross-mojo between the teams. I have used Probes Plus for quite a while and have always enjoyed it, and BDB is a staple of my set up. I am looking forward to great things from this team up! Its kind of like the Avengers of the KSP modding world! :kiss:

Avengers Assemble! I'd be Captain America for sure because I tell people to drive home safe and to watch their language.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:36 AM, Friznit said:

/casts embiggerate

7WSAHXU.png

Github has a page width restriction which makes the image a bit small.  I wasn't aware people were using it as a reference but I'd be delighted to put higher res images on a build guide page (similar to the BDB probes pages) if people would find that useful - just nobody ever asked before!  I've got all the craft files too so will sling them on github for you.

...when you click on "like" and the forum tells you that Bob ran out of facial expressions for the day....

...They underestimate my piloting!

Looks really sharp.  Will be getting thing back into my current build over the weekend.  Love the texturing work upgrades.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, akron said:

What does this mean for the ProbesPlus Mod? I am currently not sure ... right now I am fully invested on finishing Viking for BDB and will have plenty of time to find some direction for the Mod

Congrats on getting "hired" by BDB.

Regarding your question about long term ProbesPlus, maybe split it into 2 submods, one with a copy of parts that are in BDB, and a 2nd for your unique stuff. Non-BDB users could install both of your split mods to get Coatl. BDB users would just add your unique parts to their BDB install.

I realize Coatl is a one person unpaid development team and this splitting of parts might be too much work.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Any updates on Viking?

-Sanity starts at KSP load completion.

Unknown

Viking is coming along little by little. Do remember to check in to the BDB forum. Any major updates on Viking will be posted there when ready

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I have recently restarted a game on 1.12 (I know, I know. ) and all the foil textures no longer have the metallic shaders on them. The ones in BDB and other mods look fine, is it possible I forgot to install something?

afaik, metallic shine is two things: texturesunlimited, and then making sure your reflection settings are turned on, which is ESC from space center, Settings, Reflection Refresh Mode (I've heard that Low is the best, ymmv), and Reflection Texture Resolution: whatever your system can handle.

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 8:17 PM, Cavscout74 said:

As a long-time ProbesPlus user, I just found another use for the Verona parts - they are a perfect fit for the Sentinel IR telescope

SgasHGh.png

Hi, could you please tell me the name of a mod for the Sentinel telscope? it looks very nice with tha grid, thanks

• 2 months later...

These probes both look and function great! Ksp is alot more realistic with this mod cause there are finally a decent number of early/mid game probes. Really good mod 100% recommended and I can't wait to see what gets added

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, EngineeringEnjoyer said:

Does this mod still need Firespitter? Or is breaking ground enough? 

It needs Firespitter OR B9. Breaking Ground is a DLC and has nothing to do with Firespitter/B9.