[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

7 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

hmmm I seemed to have screwed up some where, i deleted the coalt folder to update, and i cant find the latest release, all i can find it the 0.12 and not the later ones, could someone point to me where it is please I"m a little confused.

Technically 0.12 IS the latest BETA release but you can get newer WIP mod files by downloading the Github Repo here. I will make a Release Candidate download pretty soon, essentially 0.12.5.

Edited by akron

2 minutes ago, akron said:

Technically 0.12 IS the latest BETA release but you can get newer WIP mod files by downloading the Github Repo here. I will make a Release Candidate download pretty soon.

EDIT: thank you very much

Edited by SpaceBadger007

Click the green icon on the top right to download the whole repository. You will also need DMagicScienceAnimate and Dmagic Orbital Science

This is cumbersome on purpose. That way only people willing to BETA test go through the steps. However, 0.13 is almost done anyway

SqH4ltI.png

Edited by akron

16 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

bae stahp is 2 gud

No, seriously all those new parts - especially the remade barometer and gravioli detector - are AMAZING.

Gracias. I can see the improvement on the Gravioli detector, but the barometer doesn't feel like a HUGE improvement. Neither does the thermometer, which I finished but don't have a screenshot of. The spectrometer is also done, but it only got some texture changes.

Sorry I did not update the repo I had some stuff come up last night. I will try again tonight.

I randomly started modeling the Pioneer 10/11 experiment housing (the butt) so that I can better remake the magnetometer. I don't know how to make it more compact yet still be to scale with the rest of the Quetzal/Pioneer parts. I am considering making it a 4-part fold instead, as opposed to the real 3-part fold it is now.

Sorry for the delays! I have been busy with some stuff that's come up.

The Github repo has been updated! You can now test the DUST experiments, new parts tags, and updates of the old experiments except the magnetometer. If I don't get sidetracked or start adding more stuff, 0.13 should release this week since all the currently planned "new" science stuff is done.

Test away and please post some feedback!

20 minutes ago, Jeb1969 said:

Just out of curiosity is the DUST experiments slated to be in 0.13 release alongside the Infrared, Gamma Ray and Ultraviolet Spectrometers.

Correct. All the science parts you have seen in my development posts will be in this update, along with the new E200B solar panels and maybe a couple more things I can't think of right now. The Github Repo is exactly what you should expect

Edited by akron

Hi akron,

I did some quick testing (dont have a lot of playtime unfortunately :() of the latest Github repo, all parts seem to be working correctly and I found nothing of note. Liking the new additions very much, with you, Dmagic and BDB my science tab has been flooded :wink:. Might actually have to send some probes to places now... 

Looking forward to what will come after this!

9 hours ago, 4nxs said:

Hi akron,

I did some quick testing (dont have a lot of playtime unfortunately :() of the latest Github repo, all parts seem to be working correctly and I found nothing of note. Liking the new additions very much, with you, Dmagic and BDB my science tab has been flooded :wink:. Might actually have to send some probes to places now... 

Looking forward to what will come after this!

Thank you! Helping and encouraging probes is the goal! At least helping make better looking probes, anyway. You just have to configure your difficulty to drop science gains considerably so you don't steamroll through the tech tree from two visit to Kerbin shores...

Update 0.14 is "Utility and Propulsion". Look forward to ProbesPlus' RCS, service engines, fuel tanks, new probe cores and some misc parts. HTV will also hopefully be part of it

~Cheers

Update

Ok, so I am trying to finish the last few items for this release. Another old science part left was the magnetometer. One thing I noticed is just how cumbersome it was to bring up since it was so wide, so I wanted to reduce the footprint a little bit. I was thinking about making it a 4-part fold, but before deciding, I wanted to see what it would look like after adding the Pioneer 10/11 science experiment housing to Quetzal so I went ahead and made a WIP mock-up (All pics are from Maya, not Unity, sorry):

1etvniO.png TTf3m6J.png

Instead of having the Pioneer experiments, it will act more like a service module by adding batteries, reaction wheels, active cooling louvers, and monopropellant storage. After this part was sized, I was able to scale the new magnetometer model. I was able to shorten it a little bit while keeping the Pioneer 3-part fold, so I decided to go with that design. Here is the new, textured, slim model:

dVu57cP.png

Here is how it compares with the old size:

k015vu4.png

Album with a couple more pics:

The new MG texture is done and animated, but I did not have a chance to texture the service module or export either part to get it in-game or in Unity.

I am still pushing to have a release, or at least a weekend release candidate final, hopefully by Monday.

~Cheers

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I plan to leave the old Magnetometer model on the next release for backwards compatibility on active flights but remove it from the tech tree. Reason is, the new one has a different center node and size. The old one shares a texture so I won't make any performance difference. It will be completely removed in 0.14.

EDIT2: @CobaltWolf You may find this interesting. This animation is also scripted using expressions. Since all the boom sections move together (no overlapping action) I scripted them using this code:

//Booms
boom2.rotateY = boom1.rotateY * -2
boom3.rotateY = boom1.rotateY * 2

//cable1
boom2|cable1.rotateY = boom1.rotateY + 90
cable1bend.rotateY = boom1.rotateY
cable1bendShape.curvature = (boom1.rotateY + 90) * 2

//cable2
boom3|cable2.rotateY = -90 - boom1.rotateY 
cable2bend.rotateY = boom1.rotateY * -1
cable2bendShape.curvature = (boom1.rotateY + 90) * -2

This binds everything to "boom1.rotateY" so that is the only item that need to be keyed in the boom animation and Maya calculates the keys for everything else. So I only had to key one boom rotate and the security clamps. Something to think about for anyone using Maya.

Edited by akron

3 minutes ago, BetaguyGZT said:

Wow! I like all of it. Very, very nice work @akron! Will update my local copy immediately. :D 

May I PM you concerning an issue @Stone Blue and I have run into with the BioMass model animations? Just need to pick your brain and get some advice, if you don't mind. :) 

I will help if I can, go for it!

FYI the two parts I just posted about are not in Github yet. I'm too tired. I will try for tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Drakenex said:

yess! I was assembling a Pioneer 10 replica but now I'll wait for that part, very good work

Awesome. I didn't set out to create replicas, just real-life inspired parts, but I really like some of these classic probes. I am actually strongly considering adding Pioneer's actual antenna with built-in micro-meteor impact detector and RCS thrusters. Pioneer and Voyager will definitely be able to be replicated in ProbesPlus

11 minutes ago, akron said:

Awesome. I didn't set out to create replicas, just real-life inspired parts, but I really like some of these classic probes. I am actually strongly considering adding Pioneer's actual antenna with built-in micro-meteor impact detector and RCS thrusters. Pioneer and Voyager will definitely be able to be replicated in ProbesPlus

as long as it has cost and possibly mass appropriate for the amount of benefit that part provides. That would be a cool part. But I thought it was 1 of the three main dish antennas in the mod, the other two being Ulysses and voyager? Does that affect the progression?

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

as long as it has cost and possibly mass appropriate for the amount of benefit that part provides. That would be a cool part. But I thought it was 1 of the three main dish antennas in the mod, the other two being Ulysses and voyager? Does that affect the progression?

The 3 current static dishes are my typical Small-medium-large setup:

• S - A100 - Ulysses
  • M - A200 - Cassini (Quetzal's current antenna)
  • L - A300 - Voyager

I could make Pioneer an A250-ish. Similar size of the A200 but more high-tech (Built-in utilities)

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

my WIP

*SNIP.EXE /QS /NORESTART*

That looks fantastic! Are you using Kronal viewer? 

The service module I am making is exactly what you need. You can then remove that clipped monoprop tank and add the science parts more realistically.

Also, don't forget the low-gain omni antenna on your replica (in green):

bWjgOMo.png

I really dig the new magnetometer model looks more stockalike but also manages to look original, I also really like how the base looks less bulky than before which is definitely a useful advantage when locations to place scientific instruments is quite limited. It might not extend as far, but I might make it work. :) 

3 hours ago, akron said:

That looks fantastic! Are you using Kronal viewer? 

The service module I am making is exactly what you need. You can then remove that clipped monoprop tank and add the science parts more realistically.

Also, don't forget the low-gain omni antenna on your replica (in green):

Yup, Kronal viewer.

Oh didn't saw the antenna, I'll add it. Please don't keep me salivating for too long :sticktongue:

Edited by Drakenex