[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

11 hours ago, akron said:

Some lander parts are released: Surveyors, Huygens, and Venera-Vega

This release I am working on adds Viking

There are no rover parts out yet. I have promised to begin working on them soon, but it will not be this next one as it already includes quite a bit. Beta18 is not 100% confirmed so there's a potential to start on rovers then. 

As far as timeline, I would like to get Beta17 done by end of Summer, Mariner is being worked on for now. This means rovers could be started after that. Please be patient as work on the mod part-time. I am going to go ahead and the redo my banner post as it is being far too confusing to people

Hmm, interesting.

But, like, umm, where's the Huygens probe core? I've downloaded Beta16 a few times on a few different saves, but it's never in the part list. I've always just assumed it hasn't been implemented yet.

12 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Hmm, interesting.

But, like, umm, where's the Huygens probe core? I've downloaded Beta16 a few times on a few different saves, but it's never in the part list. I've always just assumed it hasn't been implemented yet.

What version of KSP are you running? Maybe send me your log file

Just now, sslaptnhablhat said:

I just reinstalled the mod, and the part still isn't there.

1.4.4, but the part hasn't worked in any version.

It's 4am, I'm really tired, I'll generate a log file in the morning.

Lol, ok. Download the Github repo, I think there's some new patches in there that you might need. I'm still testing 1.4 myself though

16 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Nope, part still doesn't appear.

Alright, I'll wait for you log file and we'll figure it out. I just did a fresh re-install and it works fine for me with latest pre-reqs

In preparation for a 1.4.x patch, I have updated the craft files. Please let me know if you find any issues with them. It should help those who are having issues with Cassini-Huygens

Sample Crafts v0.3:

Download from Dropbox

Currently going through @Gordon Dry's reported issues with Real Plume (Which I haven't used in a long time) and the SRB. Does anyone else have issues with the SRB jettison displaying incorrect ∆v? I have 3 such SRBs by my count, Voyager's Propulsion Module, IUE's motor, and Surveyor's retromotor

Edited by akron

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@akron the craft files' Dropbox link points to v0.2 which I already have.

Don't know how that happened. I fixed it. I think, here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cww0jg51ajyzcp9/ProbesPlus_CraftFiles_v0.3.zip?dl=0

5 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Which version should I use for a 1.3.1 install?

I'd start trying BETA 16 here. FYI, the current release works fine with either 1.3.1 or 1.4.x you just have to make sure that the dependencies are their 1.3.1 versions.

Edited by akron

On 6/25/2018 at 4:53 AM, sslaptnhablhat said:

Hmm, interesting.

Hello

I have exactly the same issue

When i try to load a craft i got this message : "Craft  CA-Draco was not loaded because it had the following parts missing : ca.draco"

[ERR 19:51:15.574] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-Draco - No AvailablePart found for ca.draco

[ERR 19:51:15.574] [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in CA-Draco as 2 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

[WRN 19:51:15.574] [ShipConstruction]: No thumbnail image exists for thumbs/par défaut_VAB_CA-Draco
[ERR 19:51:15.576] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-IUE - No AvailablePart found for ca.explorer

[ERR 19:51:15.576] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-IUE - No AvailablePart found for ca.explorer.solar

[ERR 19:51:15.576] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-IUE - No AvailablePart found for ca.explorer.solar

[ERR 19:51:15.576] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-IUE - No AvailablePart found for ca.stella24C

[ERR 19:51:15.576] [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in CA-IUE as 4 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

[WRN 19:51:15.576] [ShipConstruction]: No thumbnail image exists for thumbs/par défaut_VAB_CA-IUE
[ERR 19:51:15.589] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load CA-Meridiani-Draco - No AvailablePart found for ca.draco

[ERR 19:51:15.589] [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in CA-Meridiani-Draco as 2 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

[WRN 19:51:15.590] [ShipConstruction]: No thumbnail image exists for thumbs/par défaut_VAB_CA-Meridiani-Draco
[ERR 19:51:15.647] [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in Untitled Space Craft as 0 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

Do you need the whole KSP.log ?

Edited by Maxime10
added log

Did an initial color and painting pass on Mariner in between testing 1.4.4

Also decided on a name, Argo, with a logo inspired by the ARES project

u2QSuzl.png

Has anyone else had a chance to test the latest in 1.4.4?

@Maxime10, yes, please send me the full log so I can check plugin versions. The latest repo is designed for 1.4.4

Also, welcome to the Forums!

Edited by akron

I think am going to just package the Github into release 16.1 this evening, to make it easier for everyone to download the latest. If there's any issues, I 'll get a 16.2 patch out.

Beta v0.16.1 Download:

To prevent issues, please remove any previous versions of the mod before updating

Download-Github-brightgreen.png

Download-Dropbox-blue.png

Download-Spacedock-lightgrey.png

Download-Curse-orange.png

Please read the FAQ

I've uploaded BETA 16.1 to hopefully make it easier to support any issues. Will be ready for 1 patch 16.2 if necessary while I continue on to finish the Mariner parts.

To accelerate this next release, I am going to skip some Mariner parts. I'll complete Mariner 4, then skip to Mariner 9. This will leave me ready to jump into to the Viking orbiter and aeroshell. I'll finish the Mariner line in later releases.

Play testing in my career mode has left me wanting for more early tech lander parts so I'm now kinda looking forward to Luna :/ . I'll try not to add more stuff to this release though, because finishing Luna means doing Lunokhod

*Holy triple post, Batman*

Edited by akron

@akron, If I delete all the science parts from your mod will that break anything?

Also, if I remove all the science parts could I then safely remove the DMagicScienceAnimate mod too?

You may ask WHY?!

Well....I like more parts in general....especially probes and solar arrays....but I already have added a couple science extras like the surface science mod, the Tasier Technology mod, and now USI core seems to come with 4 little science boxes you can stick on everything. I am trying to play career and I already feel I am being kinda "cheaty" with those science extras.....I don't want 8-10 more science experiments from this mod or Dmagic's main science mod either....

Lastly I am also a little put off by the extreme length of many of the parts when deployed/extended.....some of the antennas and things are like ridiculously long.....like OMG are you frigging kidding me long....lol....

JoE Smash

(Not to critique anything, this is a beautiful mod with a lot of great additions in general, I appreciate all the had work you have done!)

Edited by JoE Smash
Clarify my antenna length critique

22 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

@akron, If I delete all the science parts from your mod will that break anything?

Also, if I remove all the science parts could I then safely remove the DMagicScienceAnimate mod too?

You may ask WHY?!

Well....I like more parts in general....especially probes and solar arrays....but I already have added a couple science extras like the surface science mod, the Tasier Technology mod, and now USI core seems to come with 4 little science boxes you can stick on everything. I am trying to play career and I already feel I am being kinda "cheaty" with those science extras.....I don't want 8-10 more science experiments from this mod or Dmagic's main science mod either....

Lastly I am also a little put off by the extreme length of many of the parts when deployed/extended.....some of the antennas and things are like ridiculously long.....like OMG are you frigging kidding me long....lol....

JoE Smash

Just off top of my head: Delete all the science parts but not their textures, the ScienceDefs, and the ModuleManager configs. Then you can remove DMagicScienceAnimate.

FYI, you can reduce science gain through the difficulty option in your save and it is strongly recommended that you do so whenever using any science part mods.

To be perfectly honest though, you'd be missing out on at least 1/3 of the mod. I would suggest lowering the science gain on your career save by a big margin so you can use science mods without feeling cheaty. Also, you can limit the number of science experiments per craft and force yourself to send multiple missing instead on one with everything. Also, reducing the science gain makes space stations and bases with science labs viable and necessary. The reduced science gain will also increase the number of experiments needed to fill up a lab, thus requiring more science experiments, for which you can now use science mods and the circle completes. I play career exclusively and I can confirm this balances it out.

Sorry you're put of by the long booms and trusses. There's got to be a name for that condition. Rest assured the they are scaled to their real-life counterparts, some of which extend outwards some 4 meters or more!

EDIT: Some parts may have built-in science. If you remove the science configs, they'll be gone as well. You'll lose both the Venera and the Huygens landers, for example.

Edited by akron

3 minutes ago, akron said:

Just off top of my head: Delete all the science parts but not their textures, the ScienceDefs, and the ModuleManager configs. Then you can remove DMagicScienceAnimate.

FYI, you can reduce science gain through the difficulty option in your save and it is strongly recommended that you do so whenever using any science part mods.

To be perfectly honest though, you'd be missing out on at least 1/3 of the mod. I would suggest lowering the science gain on your career save by a big margin so you can use science mods without feeling cheaty. Also, you can limit the number of science experiments per craft and force yourself to send multiple missing instead on one with everything. Also, reducing the science gain makes space stations and bases with science labs viable and necessary. The reduced science gain will also increase the number of experiments needed to fill up a lab, thus requiring more science experiments, for which you can now use science mods and the circle completes. I play career exclusively and I can confirm this balances it out.

Sorry you're put of by the long booms and trusses. There's got to be a name for that condition. Rest assured the they are scaled to their real-life counterparts, some of which extend outwards some 4 meters or more!

It's just too much.....I also don't want to have to remember to attach 20 or 30 different science experiments in symmetry to every rocket/probe/space plane I build. Then I don't want to have to remember to run them all by clicking on 20-30 parts (or using a cheaty mod that I click once to run them all for me) while flying over a particular biome at 1000m/s to 2000m/s. Lastly I like using "less grindy science" because I find having to fly over/to the same biome/planet multiple times to run the same experiment in the same place pretty tedious as well.

So my personal preference/balance is to limit extra science experiments in general and limit times run per location, while maximizing gain for having accomplished doing so at least once....

Your way is cool too though.....it's just not my preference.....

It would be cool if you someday made a probes/lander plus mod that had all the science as an extra separate download....for those people that like having a ton of different science to run....and the other one for people like me that like lots of cool extra parts packs, but not necessarily run tons of experiments over and over to unlock the tree....

Just my two cents, not that my opinion was requested or matters....

Again, thanks for all your work. I love the parts in general!

JoE Smash

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Just my two cents, not that my opinion was requested or matters....

It's nice to hear a different view point. Most people that don't care for the extra science just play Sandbox mode.

For now I'll keep the parts balance to a science/career mode for those that use that main path to unlock parts. As the mod gets even larger, there will nothing nothing but more science parts! It'll be hard to keep up with, but if you come up with MM patch or anything to remove them, let me know and I can include it as an optional patch. Also, check out the Janitor's Closet Mod, it allows you to block parts without messing up anything in the mod.

49 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Huh, after installing 16.2, Huygens now works for the first time.

Good to hear! Let me know what else you find while playing

Edited by akron

2 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

You may ask WHY?!

JoE Smash

(Not to critique anything, this is a beautiful mod with a lot of great additions in general, I appreciate all the had work you have done!)

It's worth noting that a fair number of the science parts in this pack are duplicates of either stock or ScanSat.  While there are a handful of new experiments (and duplicates of them...), in general all you're getting are different models for a few experiments.

(And the 4 little boxes should be from USI's Sounding Rockets - they're really designed for early-career science, and don't do much outside of Kerbin.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

(And the 4 little boxes should be from USI's Sounding Rockets - they're really designed for early-career science, and don't do much outside of Kerbin.)

Oh.....really? Huh....I get like 9-12 science for each one of them for each biome on Minmus and the Moon so far I believe....which is pretty significant....

Just now, JoE Smash said:

Oh.....really? Huh....I get like 9-12 science for each one of them for each biome on Minmus and the Moon so far I believe....which is pretty significant....

Hmm... maybe you can still make use of a reduced science gain, even if you don't use my science parts. And yes, like @DStaal mentioned, there's some overlap with DMOS, stock science, and even BDB experiments.

14 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Because of the way the science works in KSP, they still give science, unfortunately.  (If you give science in a situation, you get it everywhere that has that situation, multiplied by the local multiplier.)  But I don't believe they have results (other than the default) and aren't really meant to be used off-world.  So you have a good excuse to leave them off your probes and landers if you want.