[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

On 4/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, akron said:

Seems like Barquetta finally had its growth spurt. :D

HURRY !!, calm down friend, you should do the updates little by little, I think you should be accumulating renewals so that I can update, BIG, not small updates, I am stressing installing and updating them Also, help me, I'm in 1.4.4, do you think that in all your updates you could also make it compatible with 1.4.4? PLEASE

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

18 minutes ago, Xander el interplanetario said:

you should do the updates little by little, I think you should be accumulating renewals so that I can update, BIG, not small updates, I am stressing installing and updating them

Some thoughts on this. You are not obligated to update your version of the mod after every little update I make. Keep in mind that this is mod in development, so little updates are likely. I am also not super available to work on the mod due to real life commitments, so whenever I can push to get stuff done I do so and try to get it out to you guys ASAP. I see no reason to hold back parts arbitrarily to collect them for a "big" patch anymore as it generates unnecessary stress. Again, chances are I will never again be able to do a large update as before, so please appreciate small collection of parts as they get done.

Finally, Barquetta is not actually done or released yet, I just posted a picture so y'all can see what I am going with so far and can give me your thoughts and feedback before I get it done. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Xander el interplanetario said:

Also, help me, I'm in 1.4.4, do you think that in all your updates you could also make it compatible with 1.4.4? PLEASE

Oh jeez, why? The last stable "release" of ProbesPlus! was for KSP 1.4.3 and should also work fine in 1.4.4, get it from Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/768/ProbesPlus!

Do understand that using that release means none of the new or updated parts will be available. Unfortunately, I believe 1.4.4 was before the new RCS module changes so I don't think that you can make the latest Github backwards compatible with 1.4.4 without making some custom MM patches. I am not available to do that, but if you manage to, feel free to share them here to benefit others. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Xander el interplanetario said:

Also, I think you are making a mistake with Oddisey, since in real life it looks diferent

Barquetta is NOT a replica of Mars Odyssey

Edited by akron

@akron What are your thoughts on B9PS and perhaps eventually replacing Firespitter with it ?

Also , just out of curiosity , would it be possible to replace the current foil textures with those of Restock/NFEx for even more compatibility between Probesplus and Nertea's mods ? I haven't used Probesplus in a while but from what I remember the foil textures are different to Restock , and it'd be nice to have more high-quality science parts for use with , and the same foil textures of , Restock and vice versa .

3 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@akron What are your thoughts on B9PS and perhaps eventually replacing Firespitter with it ?

I am completely open to it, I just don't know all the ins ans outs of B9. I like the potential it has for mesh switching and may want to take advantage of it.

3 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Also , just out of curiosity , would it be possible to replace the current foil textures with those of Restock/NFEx for even more compatibility between Probesplus and Nertea's mods ? I haven't used Probesplus in a while but from what I remember the foil textures are different to Restock , and it'd be nice to have more high-quality science parts for use with , and the same foil textures of , Restock and vice versa .

All parts being overhauled are done so with more Restock compatibility in mind, including the ability to use those foil textures. I'm trying to drop unique or fancy designs for a more conservative and flexible part style. However, I am probably not going to make the alternate textures quite yet. I work far too slowly to spend so much time on it. Perhaps I can enlist the help of someone to do those for me but I want to concentrate on finishing the parts with the main texture first. But yes, as I remake parts, I have been considering future texture switching and leaving them ready for it.

3 hours ago, akron said:

I am completely open to it, I just don't know all the ins ans outs of B9. I like the potential it has for mesh switching and may want to take advantage of it.

Understandable . As far as I know most mods that used Firespitter have begun using B9PS instead , I suppose it has more funcionality .

3 hours ago, akron said:

All parts being overhauled are done so with more Restock compatibility in mind, including the ability to use those foil textures. I'm trying to drop unique or fancy designs for a more conservative and flexible part style. However, I am probably not going to make the alternate textures quite yet. I work far too slowly to spend so much time on it. Perhaps I can enlist the help of someone to do those for me but I want to concentrate on finishing the parts with the main texture first. But yes, as I remake parts, I have been considering future texture switching and leaving them ready for it.

Oh joyous day ! Please work as slowly as need be , I fully understand how much life can get in the way of things .

@akron Hey man, I just wanted to say that I've been using your mod for a long time. Your aesthetics for things like batteries and texture choices are awesome. With the complete lack of issues not caused by another mod not playing nice, I can't believe you still classify this as a beta. Excellent work. Ok, back to collecting science. Thanks for all your work and effort.

2 minutes ago, Polaris0352 said:

@akron Hey man, I just wanted to say that I've been using your mod for a long time. Your aesthetics for things like batteries and texture choices are awesome. With the complete lack of issues not caused by another mod not playing nice, I can't believe you still classify this as a beta. Excellent work. Ok, back to collecting science. Thanks for all your work and effort.

Totally agree with you. The only thing that i'd like to see added is more orbital scientific equipment.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, Polaris0352 said:

Thank you so very much for the kind words! I mostly keep the mod labeled as BETA because development is so random, sporadic, and what I work on frequently changes. It mostly gives me flexibility to keep working and let you guys know not to expect anything "finished" but I still test everything as vest as I can, so I am glad the work has paid off.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, alberro+ said:

Totally agree with you. The only thing that i'd like to see added is more orbital scientific equipment.

I thought I added plenty of orbital science! What more do think is missing? I don't mind looking at it if you got some good ideas.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, Xander el interplanetario said:

not so much, since the probes + mod adds more experiments than Dmagic orbital science adds

In number of parts, maybe but DMOS has custom modules which I have no intention of doing. I greatly admire DMOS' quality and functionality over my variety.

Edited by akron

1 hour ago, akron said:

I add plenty of orbital science! What more do think is missing? I don't mind looking at it if you got some good ideas.

I'd also suggest adding larger probes busses, given that all (except barca, i love it) of the buses range from small satellites to medium at best. Apart from that, this mod is pretty solid.

UPDATE

Second art pass on the revamped Barquetta. It's now got an initial AO and Normal map along with an updated 3D little IO panel which I'll have to retrofit back into Barça at some point. It's getting some personality now! :)

Also did a little homage to the old cooling thing it had. I thought about making it a 3D detail but decided to try it out with just a normal map for now. Also trying a new way of doing those little mesh details. I'm going to try out loading those little RCS and 3D detail using another texture/mesh that I will be sharing across all the probes. It's not the best way to do it (Nertea's I think works best) but this will allow me to drop them in starting now and without going back to do too much work on recent parts.

Anyway more to come. Thanks for the support!

~cheers

87xm8BT.png

jilz05Q.png

35 minutes ago, akron said:

UPDATE

Second art pass on the revamped Barquetta. It's now got an initial AO and Normal map along with an updated 3D little IO panel which I'll have to retrofit back into Barça at some point. It's getting some personality now! :)

Also did a little homage to the old cooling thing it had. I thought about making it a 3D detail but decided to try it out with just a normal map for now. Also trying a new way of doing those little mesh details. I'm going to try out loading those little RCS and 3D detail using another texture/mesh that I will be sharing across all the probes. It's not the best way to do it (Nertea's I think works best) but this will allow me to drop them in starting now and without going back to do too much work on recent parts.

~cheers

87xm8BT.png

jilz05Q.png

Looks like my mom's old desktop from 96' :D

Jokes aside, I love the new revamp Barquetta is getting, given that it's super OP (was?)

14 hours ago, akron said:

UPDATE

~cheers

87xm8BT.png

jilz05Q.png

hehe, looks like a cornet, or a stereo, just look at the inputs at the bottom, they are like for stereos: D

I can't wait for you to launch the version with the new barquetta

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Do be mindful when quoting not to leave the pictures in the quoted text if you don't have to. Makes it easier for everyone to view the thread especially on mobile.

13 minutes ago, Carlos VR said:

Any update on the Viking lander? Fantastic work with this mod, one of my favourites! 

Thank you!

Viking has had some UV work and mesh tweaks, but I have not begun texturing it fully just yet. I would like to jump on it but I also feel some older parts need some critical improvements as they are not up to par with newer quality of mods

14 hours ago, Bartom said:

hello i have some problem with the mod, the antenas don´t work, the textures foils looks darker and doesn´t, for a while it worked, is this an usual bug or i had done something wrog?

Most of the issues like this are related to your install. Either an incorrect or outdated version of ProbesPlus! or its dependencies, maybe even a mod conflict. Double-check that you have the appropriate version of all mods. Alternatively, or additionally, upload your KSP log files so I can help you further.