[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

9 minutes ago, akron said:

I only got a quick look, but I noticed you have an older version of Science Animate, 2 version of Module manager, and likely an outdated Firespitter.

Delete your older Module manager, my mod, firespitter, and dmagic science animate and then re-install my mod and dependencies from scratch. You'll need the Github repo for the latest version. Alternatively, if you want to wait a day or two, I should have the new release out. Hopefully no later than Friday. Only because the Github repo is constantly changing

EDIT: By the way, thank you for posting the logs

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to isolate it and just install your mod and the dependencies first. I really look forward to using the mod!!.

Sorry to bother you again, but it's not working again. I only have your mod and its dependencies - I downloaded and made sure latest version for firespitter, Dmagic Orbital Science and your mod. Most likely, it's my fault, but I am just eager to try your parts so badly.

Heres the list of mods (and the zips they came in).

https://imgur.com/a/XTXMG

And here is the latest logs- from the minimal gamedata setup.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s_W40XQ3ffYWq0xvkuuaTUBAwGRN4S0T?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance, take all the time you need, Im in no hurry. Im sorry to be such a bother

14 hours ago, akron said:

It's this guy here:

97pc858.jpg

I'm taking design queues from my previous parts, including my SCANsat ones. In-game it will function as IR, UV, and Optical imagers, along with support for scansat biome mapping. I don't think it will be a Dmagic multispectral imager. Might be too much science gain from one part

Nice! It would make sense not to be the Dmagic Imager, becuase of the science gain it would make science mode a bit easy, but still nice to have a new part for the Cassini probe. Can't wait!

4 hours ago, tallon43 said:

Thanks in advance, take all the time you need, Im in no hurry. Im sorry to be such a bother

No worries. Okay, I noticed 2 things things this time:

You still have an older version of Science animate Generic, and an older version of Firespitter, both do not work with KSP 1.3.1. You'll need version 0.19 and 7.6.0 respectively. 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v3.0.1.0
DMagic v1.3.0.11 / vv1.3.11
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric v0.16.0.0
Firespitter v7.3.6212.36331

Also note that you are not running the dev release of my mod from Github. Which is fine, but it means that you won't see the new Cassini parts or anything new since Coatl Aerospace v0.15. If you want to try the new test version (Some things are still WIP like Juno's solar panels) download and install the Github repository. Instructions are at the bottom of that page. If you go that route, I already include the latest Firespitter and ScienceAnimateGeneric. It also removes the DMagic Orbital Science dependency, though I still recommend the mod

IMO the simple solution is just to make the science pallet the equivalent of having all the experiments separate, in terms of cost mass etc. Maybe heavier and more expensive, because it has the extra structural bits. But to me it seems like it would just be a visual choice. Some probes would look good with that integrated pallet, some would look better with separate experiments. And it is going to be a late game part, right?

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

IMO the simple solution is just to make the science pallet the equivalent of having all the experiments separate, in terms of cost mass etc. Maybe heavier and more expensive, because it has the extra structural bits. But to me it seems like it would just be a visual choice. Some probes would look good with that integrated pallet, some would look better with separate experiments. And it is going to be a late game part, right?

Pretty much. It comes in as a more advanced version of Voyager's science boom. Probably one tier above whatever that one is now with the added science return percentage. Maybe even working radiators, or passive cooling, to simulate its thermal control properties. There's little difference I can apply with KSP's limited science system, but they are very different in RL. Cassini has two completely different Infrared instruments, for example, and I just didn't want to add one more "right-click-and-done" IR experiment. You just can't emulate that science without a survey contract of some sort. It will cover the 3 "full spectrum" experiments currently available (IR-Visible-UV).

Hello @akron, I'm going to ask you a question,

Why are you "biased" toward replicating an already esisting in real life probe or satellite ?

I mean, they're spectacular with flying colors, but it "limit" you to assembly the pieces in only one way

why you don't produce more "general-use" pieces inspired to real life one ?

(it's only a doubt, the work you've done is spectacular)

Cheers!:)

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

Hello @akron, I'm going to ask you a question,

Why are you "biased" toward replicating an already esisting in real life probe or satellite ?

I mean, they're spectacular with flying colors, but it "limit" you to assembly the pieces in only one way

why you don't produce more "general-use" pieces inspired to real life one ?

(it's only a doubt, the work you've done is spectacular)

Cheers!:)

Thank you! This is actually how I started. All the early parts are very generic, but the mod ended up expanding to some replicas. Essentially because I kept going back to add more parts from the likes of Voyager and Pioneer, to the point that replicas were possible. You actually don't have to use them as the replicas that they are, and the parts generally mix well with few exceptions. Actually, I rarely build the replicas in my own career mode. While I do real life mission part sets, the parts themselves are split as much as it makes sense, keeping that KSP mix/match spirit.

Cassini is likely the worst offender, but even still you can use its dish, probe bus, and science parts in any combination. It's only the main structure that limits you to a Cassini replica. I'd say Venera is a close second. I am actually including a stand-alone decoupler part that will allow you to take Huygens along on any other mission, not just Cassini, so there's that too.

7 minutes ago, akron said:

Thank you! This is actually how I started. All the early parts are very generic, but the mod ended up expanding to some replicas. Essentially because I kept going back to add more parts from the likes of Voyager and Pioneer, to the point that replicas were possible. You actually don't have to use them as the replicas that they are, and the parts generally mix well with few exceptions. Actually, I rarely build the replicas in my own career mode. While I do real life mission part sets, the parts themselves are split as much as it makes sense, keeping that KSP mix/match spirit.

Cassini is likely the worst offender, but even still you can use its dish, probe bus, and science parts in any combination. It's only the main structure that limits you to a Cassini replica. I'd say Venera is a close second. I am actually including a stand-alone decoupler part that will allow you to take Huygens along on any other mission, not just Cassini, so there's that too.

oh thank you, I really appreciate modders like you, that give a precise and comprehensive answer, anyway, are you planning to release more "generic-use" parts in future, or you prefer to stay focused on replicas?

in both case, keep with the awesome work!:P

10 hours ago, akron said:

No worries. Okay, I noticed 2 things things this time:

You still have an older version of Science animate Generic, and an older version of Firespitter, both do not work with KSP 1.3.1. You'll need version 0.19 and 7.6.0 respectively. 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v3.0.1.0
DMagic v1.3.0.11 / vv1.3.11
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric v0.16.0.0
Firespitter v7.3.6212.36331

Also note that you are not running the dev release of my mod from Github. Which is fine, but it means that you won't see the new Cassini parts or anything new since Coatl Aerospace v0.15. If you want to try the new test version (Some things are still WIP like Juno's solar panels) download and install the Github repository. Instructions are at the bottom of that page. If you go that route, I already include the latest Firespitter and ScienceAnimateGeneric. It also removes the DMagic Orbital Science dependency, though I still recommend the mod

That's interesting, I downloaded off your repo so I must be doing it wrong again. When I get home I'll try and update you on the situation. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

oh thank you, I really appreciate modders like you, that give a precise and comprehensive answer, anyway, are you planning to release more "generic-use" parts in future, or you prefer to stay focused on replicas?

in both case, keep with the awesome work!:P

There will be a mix of generic and replica parts, I'm sure. Even if it is meant for a replica build, I will try whenever possible to make sure it can be used elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, tallon43 said:

That's interesting, I downloaded off your repo so I must be doing it wrong again. When I get home I'll try and update you on the situation.

You don't have any of the new parts loading, so you must have not grabbed the repository. Make sure you follow the instructions for downloading the repo as opposed to going to the Github releases page

VX0DsNI.png

ProbesPlus! BETA 0.16 is Released

DOWNLOAD on Github

IMGUR Album Link

This mod redistributes Firespitter and DMagic Science Animate Plugins as dependencies

Changelog:

Spoiler

Beta 0.16

New Parts:  

==Cassini-Huygens Parts==  
* 'Meridiani' Probe core  
* 'Draco' Lander Core  
* Draco's heashield, aeroshell, and parachutes  
* HGA Antenna  
* Fuel Tank Assembly  
* Reaction Wheel Assembly (LEU)  
* CA-MER-R4D 'Dominique' Main Engine  
* Magnetometer Boom  
* Payload adapter/decoupler  
* Draco decoupler ring  
* Remote Sensing Pallet  

==Probe Cores==  
* CA-100B 'Landvermesser' B Core (Inspired by Surveyor B)  
* CA-Q20-M 'Xihe' Probe Core (Inspired by STEREO)  
* CA-602 'Hera' Probe Core (Inspired by Juno)  
* CA-v601 'Aegis' Probe Core and science container (Juno)  

==Antenna==  
* CA-A20-B HGA Antenna (Inspired by Surveyor B)  
* CA-D02 HGA Dish (STEREO)  
* CA-A190 HGA Dish (Juno)  

==Electrical==  
* CA-ET120 Solar Array (Inspired by Surveyor B)  
* CA-E140 Solar Array (STEREO)  
* CA-E12 Solar Array and magnetometer (Juno)  

==Science==  
* CA-RPWS-S Compact RPW System (STEREO)  

Updates/Fixes: 

* Corrected and added more Science results for GroundOps experiments  
* Added Science experiment result support for Outer Planets Mod  
* Removed Dmagic Orbital Science as a dependency (For simplicity, I still recommend DMagic's Mod)  
* Updated some solar panel textures  
* Added PBR configs for Shadowmage's TexturesUnlimited mod  
* Added new set of textures for texture toggle  
* Reduced mass but increased cost of the Torekka Dish to bring it closer to the stock equivalent  
* Reduced mass of the Tatsujin dish  
* Reduced Lahar Engine thrust to begin engine balance to more realistic values. More nerfs coming!  
* Reduced Trident Engine thrust to begin engine balance to more realistic values. More nerfs coming!  
* Updated SCANsat support for the new version 18.0  
* Updated the RTG8200 model to more closely match Cassini's. The old model will be retired in the next release  
* Fixed a symmetry issue in the Landvermesser lander core 
* Fixed attachment node issue on Landvermesser lander core   
* Fixed attachment node issue on Landvermesser omni antenna  
* Fixed attachment node on the GRS  
* Fixed a texture load error for all the normal maps (Thanks to Gordon Dry for the fix)  
* Fixed Node orientation on the Landvermesser HGA  
* Fixed Node and fairing issue on the Landvermesser core  
* Disabled antenna power upgrades!!!! To prevent a potential CommNet bug. Verify the DSN range to any active distant probes before upgrading to this version!!!  
* Retired the old cone antenna  
* Added Optional Near Future Electrical RTG decay configs (Thanks to notJebKerman)  
* Updated RealPlume configs  
* Updated Tweakscale configs (Thanks to JSO)  
* Updated RemoteTech configs (Thanks to Jimbodiah)  
* Updated MechJeb and EngineerRedux support  
* Updated included dependencies of Firespitter (Version 7.6.0) and DMagicScienceAnimate (Version 0.19)  

=============  
Known Issues:  
=============  

- KSP log throws a lot of texture errors. This seems to be be due to my heavy use of texture swapping modules. As far as I know, texture are loading fine despite the error  
- Reloading the database from the cheat/debug menu may cause some parts and vessel using them to fail to load. I cannot figure out why. Restarting KSP is the safest way to re-load the assets
- The Huygens heatshield and aeroshell are better off jettisoned from the right-click menu, rather than staging it. I will continue to test and hopefully solve

I finished the science pallet but forgot to take good screenshots. Here is the best I have:

mL6AUkv.png

Github only for now, I will update other sources later on. It's been a year since I started working on Cassini, and it is finally out (Pending that last pallet). Thank you all for your patience and support. I'm sure I messed something up in the download due to lack of sleep. Let me know. A patch will inevitably come soon to fix all my doh' moments.

~Cheers

- Zzzzzzz

Don't like to post problem, but I can't find the Draco lander core, I have every other parts related to Draco, but the probe core doesn't appear ingame, weirdly I found the cfg and mu files of it (so CAE-1200 'Draco'...) in Coaltaero folder... Can you help ? :huh:

Log :

1518123191-unknown.png

Edited by DiscoSlelge

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

After installing 0.16 all my coatl-antennas have not CommNet/Data Transmitter. Richtclick-Info in the VAB doesn`t show anything. All other Antennas and the coatl-probe cores have a datatransmitter.

Can you get me some logs? You can find how by checking the FAQ link in my sig.

2 hours ago, woeller said:

I can't confirm this issue. After deleting the old Coatl Aerospace folder and installing the new version, everything is fine. It must be due to your installation.

Thank you for testing. Antennas usually create some sort of issue in every release

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Don't like to post problem, but I can't find the Draco lander core, I have every other parts related to Draco, but the probe core doesn't appear ingame, weirdly I found the cfg and mu files of it (so CAE-1200 'Draco'...) in Coaltaero folder... Can you help ? :huh:

Log :

Read back to around this post, @zakkpaz was having that same issue. If that does not help, can you get me the full log? That's a weird one

6 minutes ago, akron said:

Can you get me some logs? You can find how by checking the FAQ link in my sig.

Thank you for testing. Antennas usually create some sort of issue in every release

Read back to around this post, @zakkpaz was having that same issue. If that does not help, can you get me the full log? That's a weird one

Awesome it worked ! Many many thanks <3

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Here are my logs:

KSP.log

output_log.txt

Are you sure it is all external antennas? 

I looked through your file with "dish_xihe" assuming that one was having the issue. It's the STEREO folding dish, one of the new parts. It is modified by a lot of ModuleManager configs:

• Antenna Sleep
  • Antenna Helper
  • CommNet Constellation
  • CommNet Visualization
  • Action groups extended
  • AmpYear Power manager
  • Sigma Dimensions
  • Textures Unlimited

There may be a conflict here, I'll see what I can dig up since I am unfamiliar with a lot of these mods. Any info you can share will help. Did you drop this in an active save? Have you tried to see what happens with a new save? Also, try deleting "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" from GameData and see if that helps. That's another good file to take a look at to see what the final cfg looks like for the antenna.

Thank you for posting your logs. I will try my best to help